“Saturday night stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Port Jefferson
Connecticut
“Saturday night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We received a special rate online so we decided to stay on Saturday,3/2/13 . The room was nice & clean. The bed was comfortable & I Ioved the bathroom(always important)! Nice big stand-up shower. It's a very good location if you're arriving by boat. The bar was nice & the bartender was very friendly & courteous. My only complaint was the room service breakfast. NOT GOOD!!! There was no milk or creamers for coffee, no toast (even though we paid for it), food was room temp (bad for eggs & french toast). Bacon tasted burnt & sausage was not cooked. For $46.00, I was expecting better. If you want to have breakfast, get up & go to the restaurant. With that, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Versailles, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel, while comfortable and clean enough, is past its prime. The central heat in the room did not appear to be turned on or working; instead we had a very nice space heater to heat the room. While quite efficient and quiet, it was very difficult to regulate. The first night my wife and I roasted until I could figure out how to turn it down. The first light that you come to in the room, and hence the one you would use most often, had a defective switch that literally fell on the floor every time you turned it on. If you need to stay in this town, you can certainly do worse, but don't expect a great hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The room was beautiful and had a nice balcony. It was clean, staff was friendly. The village area is pretty small so you are close to everything. We ate at a great bar nearby with a nice outside deck called Portside. We only stayed here one night and I wish we had stayed longer! Great hotel, although I think it is a bit overpriced.

• Stayed August 2012
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

As a gift for my 50th birthday, my Aunt surprised me with an overnight stay with her at Danfords. She had been able to take advantage of a wonderful Groupon offering which included overnight accomodations, two cocktails, two desserts, and breakfast for $99. We arrived at 2:00 pm on a Saturday and were told our room would not be available until 4:00 pm. We had a delightful drink in the waterview bar, and then went to The Blue Sapphire, the onsite Spa. I had never had a facial, and found the entire experience to be absolutely wonderful--very relaxing. After enjoying our "girl time", we went back to the lobby and checked in. The lobby is extremely welcoming, with a fire in the fire place and comfortable furnishings. The only thing that we found a bit odd, is the desk is elevated and you have to climb several steps to get to it--not very steadily if you are as wobbly on your feet as we are. When we called to reserve a room, no waterfront rooms were available, so we were given a room that overlooked the street. The view was nothing to write home about (though the town of Port Jefferson is beautiful and a wonderful place to roam), but the room was very clean and comfortable with two double beds. There was plenty of room for us to move around and the bathroom was quite lovely. We relaxed over a glass of wine we had brought from home and then headed to our 6:30 pm dinner reservation. The restaurant overlooks the ferry terminal and the water. While it was dark out by 6:30 pm and we couldn't see the water, it was kind of neat to watch the ferry to Bridgeport, CT loading and hear the horn sound when it was time to depart. Our server, Kevin, was absolutely wonderful and very helpful in assisting us with our selections. I had a lobster risotto that was absolutely WONDERFUL, my Aunt had a delicious autumn-like ravioli, and two other friends who joined us had the beef special--all excellent. Since our room included dessert--we just couldn't be rude and pass it up! We ordered two very decadent chocolate desserts that looked like a Ring Ding. Kevin poured a hot chocolately sauce over the cake, causing a crater. My Aunt ordered an Irish coffee, and we were somewhat disappointed when she was given what appeared to be a regular cup of coffee--no topping. The whole dinner was absolutely wonderful and I would highly recommend the restaurant at Danfords. We did not feel rushed at all at dinner and had a delightful few hours visiting and dining. We shuffled back across the parking lot to our room (the rooms are in several different buildings, ours being the furthest from the main lobby). We had experienced a dusting of snow and the entire site looked like a postcard from New England. We had a restful night's sleep and awoke ready for our breakfast. I was somewhat unhappy that no one from the hotel's staff had cleared the outside staircase and walkway to our room, as it was very slippery. We walked back over to the restaurant arm-in-arm in an attempt to avoid a fall and handed in our breakfast coupons. We received a very well-stocked buffet breakfast, replete with an omelet station. Sitting at a table overlooking the water, we marvelled at the value we had received for $99 and vowed to come back again soon. Overall, I would highly recommend Danford's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

New York has stolen one of best friends, and back in September we made the trip over to be bridesmaids at her wedding.

We were absolutely overwhelmed with the view at this hotel; the area is so picturesque and scenic- very romantic setting for our girls special day!

We all had our hair and make up done in the beatuy salon. The timing of things were a little off (I was running out of there to get in my dress at the time the wedding was supposed to start!)- but the girls did a great job with us all, and if I say so myself my hair looked pretty fabulous.

The outside wedding area was very pretty (and a total novelty to use Brits who can only get married with a roof over our heads), and the famous American hospitality lived up to its name throughout the evening from all the bar and service staff- so polite and lovely, no matter how drink fuelled our demands were :)

Our only issue arose when myself and two other bridesmiads who were sharing a room tried to get in at the end of the night, and found the swipe card lock on the door wasn't responding. We explained the predicament to reception who said they would get someone over to look at it, as it sounded like the battery in the door unit was flat. It took a long time for someone to come, and two of us were desperate to go to bed. When someone eventually managed to get the door open it was explained that once we were in, the lock would not be able to be used from the outside; we either all stayed in for the rest of the night, or wake someone in the room up upon our return. One of the party wasn't ready for bed, so I went down to reception and explained this, and they very kindly provided and extra room free of charge for our late night party go-er. Despite the delay, the issue was handled well.

Our big gripe about this was the next morning when another handy man showed up to look at the door- he repeatedly accused us of causing the problem by "having the cards next to mobile phones". This annoyed me on a few levels a) because we had had the cards reset by reception numerous times before they had called someone to look at the door on the previous evening, and b) because we had all purposely kept these cards away from our mobile phones so not to cause any issues. We tried to explain this to him but he just talked over us and blamed us for the whole debacle!!

Grouchy obnoxious handy man aside- a lovely hotel, huge well apointed rooms, and great service. I am looking forward to taking my fella here when we come over to visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
LI, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I got married at Danford's 11/23/12. What an overall fantastic getaway for the 28 guests we had stay at the hotel. Due to Hurricane Sandy, many rooms were not available, so the regular room rate(reduced for our guests) were honored and all guests were upgraded to suites! My friends and family loved that. The rooms are clean, spacious, warm and homey. The nautical theme is throughout the entire hotel. Voss water is upper class and very tasty and in every room. The weekend continental breakfast for $14.95 is scrumpcious and everything we could have asked for. I would suggest a waffle maker-people were asking for that. Other then that, no complaints at all, we are very happy with all the choices we made for ourselves and our loved ones. The holiday decorations are beatiful and set the tone for the perfect ending to our pre-seasonal theme wedding. Great job Vicki! Thank you to Christine W., Vicki, Lynn and the rest of the amazing staff at Danfords-we love you guys. Happy Holidays. xo

Room Tip: Opt. for rooms on the second level-veiw is spectacular. Balconys have adrinock chairs for sipping te...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If your going to Port Jefferson, you really should spend the night at Danfords. Can't beat the location. The Staff is always helpful, Bob and Trevor, thanks for the great room. We go annually and have drinks and Bar food in the lounge. The rooms are Big, we had room 12 with a Private balcony, great views. Continental breakfast was also nice.
My two cents: The walls are kinda thin, hear every foot step above, below, next door.
Room 12 was great, bathroom very small.

Room Tip: Queen Room 12, with private balcony, or King suite in Galley Building, outside balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Danfords Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!