“English Girls at an American Wedding” 4 of 5 stars

Danfords Hotel & Marina
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   25 East Broadway, Port Jefferson, NY 11777   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Port Jefferson
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“English Girls at an American Wedding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

New York has stolen one of best friends, and back in September we made the trip over to be bridesmaids at her wedding.

We were absolutely overwhelmed with the view at this hotel; the area is so picturesque and scenic- very romantic setting for our girls special day!

We all had our hair and make up done in the beatuy salon. The timing of things were a little off (I was running out of there to get in my dress at the time the wedding was supposed to start!)- but the girls did a great job with us all, and if I say so myself my hair looked pretty fabulous.

The outside wedding area was very pretty (and a total novelty to use Brits who can only get married with a roof over our heads), and the famous American hospitality lived up to its name throughout the evening from all the bar and service staff- so polite and lovely, no matter how drink fuelled our demands were :)

Our only issue arose when myself and two other bridesmiads who were sharing a room tried to get in at the end of the night, and found the swipe card lock on the door wasn't responding. We explained the predicament to reception who said they would get someone over to look at it, as it sounded like the battery in the door unit was flat. It took a long time for someone to come, and two of us were desperate to go to bed. When someone eventually managed to get the door open it was explained that once we were in, the lock would not be able to be used from the outside; we either all stayed in for the rest of the night, or wake someone in the room up upon our return. One of the party wasn't ready for bed, so I went down to reception and explained this, and they very kindly provided and extra room free of charge for our late night party go-er. Despite the delay, the issue was handled well.

Our big gripe about this was the next morning when another handy man showed up to look at the door- he repeatedly accused us of causing the problem by "having the cards next to mobile phones". This annoyed me on a few levels a) because we had had the cards reset by reception numerous times before they had called someone to look at the door on the previous evening, and b) because we had all purposely kept these cards away from our mobile phones so not to cause any issues. We tried to explain this to him but he just talked over us and blamed us for the whole debacle!!

Grouchy obnoxious handy man aside- a lovely hotel, huge well apointed rooms, and great service. I am looking forward to taking my fella here when we come over to visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
LI, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I got married at Danford's 11/23/12. What an overall fantastic getaway for the 28 guests we had stay at the hotel. Due to Hurricane Sandy, many rooms were not available, so the regular room rate(reduced for our guests) were honored and all guests were upgraded to suites! My friends and family loved that. The rooms are clean, spacious, warm and homey. The nautical theme is throughout the entire hotel. Voss water is upper class and very tasty and in every room. The weekend continental breakfast for $14.95 is scrumpcious and everything we could have asked for. I would suggest a waffle maker-people were asking for that. Other then that, no complaints at all, we are very happy with all the choices we made for ourselves and our loved ones. The holiday decorations are beatiful and set the tone for the perfect ending to our pre-seasonal theme wedding. Great job Vicki! Thank you to Christine W., Vicki, Lynn and the rest of the amazing staff at Danfords-we love you guys. Happy Holidays. xo

Room Tip: Opt. for rooms on the second level-veiw is spectacular. Balconys have adrinock chairs for sipping te...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If your going to Port Jefferson, you really should spend the night at Danfords. Can't beat the location. The Staff is always helpful, Bob and Trevor, thanks for the great room. We go annually and have drinks and Bar food in the lounge. The rooms are Big, we had room 12 with a Private balcony, great views. Continental breakfast was also nice.
My two cents: The walls are kinda thin, hear every foot step above, below, next door.
Room 12 was great, bathroom very small.

Room Tip: Queen Room 12, with private balcony, or King suite in Galley Building, outside balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We hosted the rehearsal dinner for our son and Daughter in laws pre wedding celebration August 31 2012
the room,Harborview, was lovely the food was delicious and all of the waitstaff as well as the managerial staff were so helpful and warm and accommodating.They were willing to make the evening everything we wanted including allowing people in a bit early and letting people stay a bit later.
the room recommends no more that 48 people we had 42 and it was really comfortable..there were 4 tables we set it as 3 tables of 10 and one table of 12
there were only 2 glitches in the evening..the salad was supposed to be served with the dressing on the side and it came already dressed but anyone wanting an undressed salad was accommodated and we were supposed to be given any open bottles of wine that were not finished and the wait staff had already removed them from the room when we realized this but they did give us 3 bottles to take with..I think there had been more..but that was fine.
we would highly recommend the Danfords to anyone wanting a small affair in that area

Room Tip: the harbor view room had a lovely view of the harbor and was quite warm and inviting
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

When I got to Danfords at first, I was very happy because the view of the sea from my room was so beautiful. However, at that night, a party was held by a group of people in the hotel, and they made big noise until over 12:30am. Even, there were lots of people who were riding motorcycles nearby until 1:00am. Thus we could not sleep well. I felt it is a type of a location for a party rather than an accommodation.
All in all, the scenery around the hotel was quite beautiful, but it was too noisy there.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Relaxing...perfect view of the marina...very nice surrounding port Jefferson...the morning walks on the beach are as if taken from a movie...rooms are spacious. Staff very friendly. If you take rooms on the upper levels you will have a better view of the beach. One note however: make sure that the bed sheets have been changed. I had two beds in the room I was in: one bed was clean and the other one still had sheets from the last guest and the bathtub was not cleaned. When I called house keeping, they directly fixed that. Breakfast is not really that good.

Room Tip: Get rooms on the upper level to have a better view of the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Oakdale, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am writing this review a little late, but I stayed at Danfords back in August. My husband and I had a pleasant stay. The staff was friendly and the food at the restaurant was delicious. We just didn't really care for the breakfast as the omlettes prepared for us really didn't have much taste and the french toast was a little dry. But overall, I would most definitely return for another stay. We had a great water view from the balcony of our hotel room! Very cozy and the grounds have beautiful landscaping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Danfords Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!