“Nice ambience, good service, poor food” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sonora Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 106 Restaurants in Port Chester
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Willet Avenue
Transit: We are 5 minutes away from Port Chester metro north.
Description: Since Rafael Palomino—Sonora’s Executive Chef and Proprietor—opened the doors to this, his flagship Latin-fusion restaurant, he has received accolades from a broad customer base, including an “Excellent” from the New York Times. This creative, Colombian-born (Queens-raised) chef and author of five cookbooks, has since opened 8 more restaurants that span three states (New York, Connecticut and Pennsylvania). Sonora, like Palomino’s other restaurants, boasts excellent service and mouth-watering dishes, paired with an extensive wine list and cocktail offerings. In addition to impeccable service and delicious dishes, Sonora’s two-story home offers guests the possibility of having a custom-designed and catered on-site private party, for any occasion, from 12 to 110 people.
Larchmont, New York
“Nice ambience, good service, poor food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I like the place, with nice decorations, comfortable setting, warm lighting. The service was good. But we were disappointed with the food. The sea bass was not fresh, it tasted dull, like from frozen fish, the portion was so small, it might not even be enough for a cat! And it was so pricy, over $30 for that two bites of fish, served with some mashed potato and a few watercress leaves. The ribs were very soft, but no taste, like soft fiber in brown sauce. The portion was also very small.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Port Chester, New York
“my new pot of gold”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I want it to try something different for february 14, and my girlfriend and me end up here. upon arrival we were not sure what to expect. once inside you are welcome with a glass wall with butterflies and a bienvenidos at the front. the inside its amazing really enjoy the love table we were giving. mojitos and cactus pear sangria a great.really enjoy the fix menu they had specially the chilian sea bass and the coffee rub rib eye. the staff was great and very professional. we see you soon.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rye Brook, New York
“Great Food, Attentive Service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was there for my bachelor party dinner, I liked it so much I made it a part of my date night with my fiancé the very next weekend. We had an amazing meal that we both thoroughly enjoyed, no doggie bags were taken home! Amazing meal!

Visited February 2013
Pound Ridge, New York
“Excellent and wonderful ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely dinner with our friends, and were particularly pleased by the tapas. The duck empanadas and guacamole are outstanding. The ceviche that evening, while delectable, was rather generous on the sauce and stingy on the fish. Most of the main courses were beautifully conceived and plated and reflected a nice range of Latin American and Spanish-influenced options. As a vegetarian, I found myself underwhelmed by the vegetable paella. While the quinoia and vegetables were perfectly prepared, the dish lacked flavor. One of my pet peeves is that the vegetarian option tends toward blandness on many menus as though chefs can't quite imagine that those who forego meat/fish still may be interested in seasoning and gustatory adventure.
The service here is attentive and professional and the warm, ochre walls, lighting and lovely artwork create a perfect setting. We were at the restaurant for a good 2 hours on a fairly busy Saturday night and never felt rushed.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Rochelle, NY, USA
“A Different Kind of Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Different menu and flavors from the usual, beautiful interior, gracious attentive waiters, reasonable cost has to make this a must stop in Westchester. Menu consists of numerous small plates and a number of entrees from a variety of Latin America countries. It’s well attended and an obvious favorite of many Westchesterites.

Visited January 2013