“Clean and comfortable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Plattsburgh
Long Island, Ny
“Clean and comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Staff and service was very good. Room was clean and comfortable. Hotel clean and in good condition. Hotel layout is like a maze, confusing and some long walks. No elevator and no one to help carry luggage upstairs. No ice machine on second floor either. No plastic insert in ice bucket. Overall experience was pleasant enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Bob S, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Mark,
I appreciate your compliments about the cleanliness of the hotel and compliments about the staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them.
The layout of the hotel is something I can not do much about. If I had to do it over again I would have gone vertical instead of horizontal. I am installing an elevator this fall which should solve part of this problem.
There should have been a plastic bag to line the ice bucket I will follow up on that latter today.
Thanks again for using TripAdvisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The staff was nice and helpful. This place is old and the rooms are very small and so is the bathroom that was not too clean. We stayed there before and we complained about the noise. This time was not so bad but you can hear the people speak on the adjacent rooms. They did not made noises all night long as we experienced before. The breakfeast is one of the nice one. compare to some Best Western we visited this one is not a nice one.

Room Tip: upper floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob S, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
I am sorry you did not completely enjoy your stay. The room you stayed in was one of 22 rooms we have that is small compared to our 103 much larger rooms and two room suites.
The noise transmission most likely is caused by being assigned to an adjoining room which has two locked doors in the wall separating the rooms. Because of that the doors are thinner. All of our rooms have 10 inch insulated concrete block firewalls with sheet rock on each side.
You are correct we are an older property but are constantly renovating having owned it since its inception. This autumn we are replacing corridor carpet and rooms furniture.
I will look investigate who was responsible for cleaning your room and take appropriate training action to correct that. It would be helpful if you could call and advise me of what specifically was the cleaning issue.
Thank you for using trip advisor.
Penfield, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I visited Plattsburgh for the weekend to participate in a 5k walk. The Inn at Smithfield is convenient to downtown, as well as shopping and tourist attractions. The staff is pleasant and knowledgeable and working very hard to make your stay a pleasant one. My room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast nook offers hot, delicious coffee as well as healthy choices like yogurt, cereal and fresh fruit and the breakfast favorites like waffles, eggs, sausage and bagels. There is an onsite restaurant with a diversified menu and a restaurant behind the hotel within walking distance. I have mobility problems with my leg and was able to navigate the hotel with ease. If you're looking for a weekend getaway or an autumn getaway, don't delay in making your reservations. i know I'll be back.

Room Tip: I was not near the lobby and towards the back of the hotel on the first floor. My room was very qui...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Bob S, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Good morning Peggie,
Thank you very much for the kind comments. I will be sure to share with the staff. I am glad you enjoyed your stay on the Adirondack Coast
Safe travels
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed there for the first time recently. I usually stay at the Days Inn nearby but they were full this evening so I gave the BW a call. They had a few rooms left and took my reservation for a late arrival. The HoJo architecture is easy to spot; property has been well maintained and with good parking. Much shopping/ many restaurants within walking distance and staff was superb. My only complaint (didn't mention to the staff) was the slow WiFi - ethernet; no other complaints. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Call ahead.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bob S, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I appreciate the comments especially about the staff. My family built this property as a Howard Johnson's and converted it to a Best Western in 1968 and became a Best Western Plus in 2011.
Our bandwidth is normally is sufficient for high speed connections and exceeds all requirements of the brand. That said as you probably know it can slow down depending on the amount of users and what they are doing such as streaming videos from Netflicks. I will continue to monitor the usage and increase bandwidth as necessary.
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My girlfriend Line and I stopped at the Inn at Smithfield on our way back from New York to Quebec City. WHAT A GREAT IDEA !!! We were very impressed by our room. Everything was nice and very clean. Above all, our room really smelt good. The burger restaurant just next to the hotel was also excellent and the prices were OK. Bed was very comfortable. We attended a great breakfast too the next morning in the hotel facilities. From now on, we will always include a stop at the Inn at Smithfield when driving to New York. Again, thanks for a great relaxing stay at the very nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob S, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
It was very nice of you to acknowledge us on TripAdvisor. Thank you for the support. We really do pay attention to feedback no matter what the source. The use of TripAdvisor not only serves the public but also the entire industry.
Safe travels to you and your family
Quebec City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on our way back to Quebec City. We enjoyed the friendly welcome we received and the room was very comfortable.
The only negative side of our visit was the size of the pillows. They were way too thick.
My wife had to une the cushion to sleep on but as for me, I was very comfortable.
They have a great indoor pool and the breakfast was enjoyable.
Apparently the owner has a dog (this is a pet friendly hotel) and my wife was a bit dissapointed that she didn't see the dog when we checked out.
All in all...............a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We had room 105 and it was very quiet and somber for anyone who wants to stay in bed for a while.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob S, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thanks for using TripAdvisor and your thoughtful comments. I am sorry our pillows were too soft. Jackson my dog and the pet concierge is normally on property with me most of the time. Be sure to ask for us and we will gladly say hi
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We decided to spend a night at best Western in Plattsburg. the booking for our rental car got mixed up between Pitsburgh and Plattsburg NY it was a chance meeting with one of the finest hotels I have been to. Great beds, bathrooms well equipped and swimming pool just outside our sliding door. In the morning a fantastic buffet breakfast was served in a semi outdoor dining room. It was a stay worthy writing about. BY 9:30 our car was ready for our trip to Ottawa via Massena and beautiful, historic countryside, through Akwasasne Reserve and past their huge Casino. Great place Plattsburgh!

Room Tip: Ask for the room backing on the pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bob S, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you very much for the taking the time to write a review in TripAdvisor. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

The confusion between Plattsburgh and Pittsburgh happens often even in TripAdvisor spell check. Both are great places to live though.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield? Share your experiences!