“Bed bugs!!” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Penfield, New York
“Bed bugs!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed at the Best Western Plus Inn at Smithfield while in town for a wedding. Woke up the next morning with entire right side of my body covered in bug bites!!! I was horrified and brought it to the attention of the staff who, to put it politely, were rude and less than accommodating. Saw a doctor the next day and he confirmed the legions and bite patterns were consistent with bed bug bites.

Talked to the owner Bob Smith and he said the room was checked and rechecked afterwards and since they couldn't find the bugs it's MY problem not theirs. He went on to tell me I should accept bugs/insects as an unavoidable part of life.

Very disappointing & ironic to see a company that supposedly prides itself on customer service unable to raise a finger to help a paying customer who was feasted on by insects while in their care.

Stay at this Best Western at your our own risk!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
We take seriously any complaints about bed bugs and are trained in how to detect them and what to do when they are detected. Because of the intensity of this guests complaints to our staff I had a professional service inspect the entire room and he reported no activity of bugs or insects.
We respectfully disagree with the comments about our staff being rude.
I do not agree with his representation of the phone conversation we had. He requested compensation which in my opinion was not warranted. The guest did advise me he would take action because he did not get compensation.
Thank you for using tripadvisor to provide us with information about your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Hotel is a throwback. As in it doesn't seem to have been updated since the '80s. The rooms are on the dark side. The hallway carpets are dingy. All that has been added to the pool in the past few decades is chlorine, and lots of it. Breakfast is complimentary. That is the only good thing you can say about it. Value is not as good as you would get at a newer hotel, like the Hampton Inn down the street. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for using Tripadvisor to provide input about my hotel. I am sorry you did not like what I have done over the years. I did remove the sliding glass doors to the outside on the rooms and replaced it with a more residential window which could darken the room some. That was done to be more residential, to improve security and be more energy efficient.
I must agree with you my choice of carpet for the hallway was too muted, but we do maintain it daily. This will be addressed in the near future in another one of our upgrades.
The pool does use chlorine and we have done many improvements over the years most of these a guest will not see. This past spring we resurfaced the pool, put in new filters and heating equipment as well as an automatic sanitizing and PH balancing equipment. We manually monitor water quality three times a day
I am glad you liked my breakfast and I appreciate your compliments about our staff.
I wish you safe travel to you and your family.
Sincerely Bob Smith Owner
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I went with my spouse on a business trip to Plattsburgh and stayed at this hotel for two nights.

For what we paid, it was really good value.

The room and bathroom were very clean, the bed comfortable and the pillows decently soft. The drapes did the trick of darkening the room.

This is an old bulding and the walls are very thin, so be prepared to hear some noise.

For our needs, all in all, this hotel was fine.

Breakfast is included, but is very basic and not what we eat.

Small, but clean gym - more than adequate.

Never used the pool, but was aware of the chlorine smell in the hallways.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nineplatt, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments about my hotel and using tripadvisor.

You are correct portions of the building are older then others however all walls are fireproof and constructed with 12 inch concrete block with insulation. Noise transmission is commonly through doors most of the time associated with adjoining rooms, as those doors are thinner.

Again thank you for using tripadvisor as your comments are not only useful to the traveler but also to us as owners
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This hotel is right on the "main strip" of Plattsburgh, NY, with a host of other hotels.

The room, lobby area, breakfast area, business/office/relaxing area, common restrooms, and fitness room were all clean. No debris, dust, smudges, odors, etc.

Staff friendly and helpful. Wifi was intermittent during a period, but eventually that was resolved.

Breakfast was ample and typical of this type of hotel. Waffles, boiled eggs, different pastries and muffins, cold cereal, coffee and juice.

The pool area was immaculate, as was the fitness area. The business/office area (two computers, one printer) is adjacent to a relaxing station area, complete with sofa, chairs and tables. A large flat screen tv is also available.

I would and will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have children who like to swim, request a "pool room". Pricier than the regular roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments I will be sure to share with the staff.

I also want to thank you for using tripadvisor as I know it takes extra time to make these comments. They are not only helpful to the the traveler but also to us as operators.

I wish you safe travels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had an opportunity to stay at this Inn on Saturday August 11, 2012 while returning from a family vacation. I booked through Hotels.com and found out that they were Pet Friendly. Upon check-in the staff was short and ill tempered. When I mentioned that we have our family pet (a 25lb Dog) they proceed to hand me a one page contract outlining that we could not leave the dog unattended unless it was in a cage or travel carrier. Then they said there would be an additional charge. My daughter volunteered to dog sit while my wife and daughter went to dinner. The non-smoking room reeked of smoke and was damp. The air conditioner did not work and with a bass fishing competition in town leaving the windows open was not an option. The bathtub did not have any kind of non-slip mat and I almost knocked my teeth out when I slipped. The somewhat dated bathroom had a toilet paper dispenser that only a circus contorionist could use, and the toilet rocked back and forth. On the brighter side, the complimentary breakfast was well stocked and had a wide assortment of choices to catering to most tastes. Had we known that this was what we were paying $ 150.00 plus for a night, we would have left. With a multitude of choices in and around the Plattsburgh area, I would drive 50 miles extra to find a more comfortable and cost effective hotel.

Room Tip: If travelling with pets, call ahead and understand in advance what restrictions are in place. I have...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nineplatt, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Good afternoon,

I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay and I will be sure to show the front desk staff your comments. It would appear that they left an inmpression that is not common for us and it may have been caused by preoccupation with a busy weekend. That needs to be corrected and I will address the issue with them.
I am sorry our protocol for pet stays offended you and more importantly the way it was delivered to you. We have these policies for the consideration of guests, their pets, our staff and certainly others who are staying at the hotel.
We do havea policy of enforcing our non smoking rules which a smoker incurrs a $250.00 charge if we detect smoke in the room. I am sorry that we did not pick this up but I will try to find out what room you were in but the confidentiality of Expedia makes it difficult.

Thanks you for the information and for using trip advisor and I appreciate you taking the time to explain your concerns to me. I can be reached at the property please feel free to contact me should you desire.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I have started to stay at more and more Best Westerns. Part of the reason is that we know what we are getting when we stay at one. Plattsburgh didn't disappoint. Room was good, bed comfy. Breakfast was really good - more choices then most Best Westerns we have stayed in. It is within walking distance to some chain restaurants, the mall and Target. They have a few treadmills and exercise equipment that I used - it was "ok". The front desk person on our arrival wasn't overly friendly but got the job done. Overall - no complaints and would recommended the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you very much for your report on my hotel. I appreciate the extra time it takes to fill out the forms. The input is not only a value to those who travel but also to us as operators.
I hope you will continue to use tripadvisor with future stays
Safe travels
Punta Gorda, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stay here in Feb for a Valentine's day getaway.We had a room with a jetted tub.It was a regular room not a overpriced deluxe room,so it was just ok .The room needs to be updated,bed was old but room seemed clean.The pool was good,heated,clean and quiet.standard breakfast included.Overall just ok.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Nineplatt, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Good afternoon,
Thank you very much for using trip advisor about your stay with us 5 months ago.

I understand you felt the bed to be very old. We have a program that we use to inspect and replace the beds when necesary and I will see if that bed has been changed out and or rotated since your report.

In any event I am sorry it did not meet your expectations and i would urge you to bring to any hotel's attention any deficiencies as they are imprtant for timely resolution.

Again thank you for using trip advisor

Robert C Smith

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Smithfield? Share your experiences!