“I was scared but everything was fine” 3 of 5 stars

Golden Gate Motel
432 Margaret Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Plattsburgh B&B and Inns
Wakefield, Rhode Island
“I was scared but everything was fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

While searching for a B & B in Plattsburgh I found the Golden Gate which is right on lake Champlain. When I called to book it, the woman quoted the suspiciously low price of $99/2nights. This was a little alarming, but not as scary as realizing that the hotel was one of the many places past the paper mill that had been flooded a few years back following an extra heavy spring snow melt. When we arrived, I asked to see the room before paying, and aside from a very intense smelling "air freshener" (which I removed), the room was clean and perfect for our needs (visiting our son at SUNY Plattsburgh and hiking). The bed (a king) was surprisingly excellent. We saw no evidence of the flood even though our room was right on the beach. In general, the Golden Gate offers a spectacular view of Lake Champlain and an inexpensive base. Aside from the lake, there is nothing special about the neighborhood, but a short drive brings you to downtown Plattsburgh which has a decent bar/restaurant scene because of the students, or any number of great day hiking venues around the lake or in the Adirondacks.

Room Tip: We had a room right on the lake shore which was great for catching the sunrise in the morning.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Location, location, location !!! Wow ! What a beach ! My wife and I like to kayak, swim, kite surf, bicycle and have a few drinks afterwards on the beach and this is the place. This is the ultimate place to kite surf. The beach is pure sand for miles. You can walk out forever in about 2 feet of clear water. You can kite surf the entire bay safely and for free. 2 nights for for around $120 is amazing. From this motel you can kayak or bike to the biggest in land beach in the U.S.A in just about 5 minutes. There is a beautiful bike path ( just a few buildings away from the motel ) that brings you right onto the board walk at the city beach. You can also kayak to the beach or kayak over to The Naked Turtle bar & Restaurant. We kyaked every night around midnight. The view and the calmness of lake champlain is great at night. The motel is safe, clean and quiet.

We always stay on the second floor near the south end. Ask Joan for one of these rooms. The view from the rooms are incredible. You can see all of Vermont's green mountains over Lake Champlain. In the past 6 years we have tried different rooms and they were all very clean and updated. Our bathroom was spotless and our blankets always clean. In the morning you can walk on the beach ( that's right, on the beach ) to McDonald's next door for breakfast and bring it back and have it on the beach. The McDonald's restaurant is actually on the beach also and they have their own tables on the beach.

If you plan of using your bicycle this is a great place. The bike trail is right there and you can bike to the ferry to Vermont or you can bike along the water front into old Plattsburgh
and enjoy one of the many awsome restaurants.

Room Tip: Stay on second floor near south end.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked this motel based on the reviews and the beach.

The Good
The reservation and check in process were simple, staff polite, friendly and helpful. The beach is lovely, wide, sandy and clean and the sandy bottom goes out for a long way, a lot of fun for kids. For younger kids there is a cordoned off section of the beach. Motel is older but relatively well maintained. Out unit, one bedroom with a kitchen, had a lovely new bathroom with a shower stall. Towels were bright and clean. Kitchen was all good, odd assortment of dishes, but totally functional with a new fridge, stove and microwave.

Good chairs outside each room to sit and watch the view in the morning, the lake is very pretty. This place could be a gold mine.

Location is great for cross border shopping, right off the highway and very close to the mall, the movies and lots to do.

The Bad
Well it's a motel, so I expected older furnishings etc. That is what we got. Stained sofa bed, stained chairs, stained rugs, dust bunnies under the beds. But these are things I can live with, or cope with.

The Ugly

After checking in the kids and I went straight to the beach for a few hours, then off for shopping, dinner and a movie. We arrived back at 12:30pm and started getting ready for bed. First nasty was the stains on the top cover, toss them aside onto the floor so we do not have to touch them. Second nasty, a blanket on the double bed has an area that looks suspiciously like brown food or something much worse. Kids are grossed out no matter what. I go to take the blanket off the sofa bed in the living room. Blanket fine, but the mattress on it looked like the chainsaw massacre had taken place on it. EW! Fix up the double bed and move on to the queen size where I am supposed to sleep with youngest kid. She pulls back the top sheet and discovers old blood stains. Double ew!! I decide to go to the office to get clean linens, cannot sleep on that. Office is closed of course. I use the towels and lay them strategically on the stains so we can stop gagging. Not much sleep of course as I have booked for two night, no refunds, but no way can we deal with this again.

I get up the next morning and drink my coffee on the beach chair outside in the cold as the sofa is to icky for sitting on. I go down to speak to the lovely office lady. Polite, calm and helpful. She was horrified and said she would change all the linens etc etc. That they had new cleaning staff etc etc etc. But said they could give no refund if we left early, even though it was 8:30am.

GO to talk to kids, call hubby, we decide that we are leaving, I call a local hotel we stay at often and they can give us a room immediately . Pack up and leave. Stopped by the office on the way out to drop key and let the office staff know. Lady said she would talk to the owner about a refund and let me know. That was four days ago. SO I accept I am not getting a refund, but am writing the review so other travellers will learn from my experience.

Check the room before you pay, check the linens and blankets on the bed before you pay. I paid $109 plus taxes per night, so not dirt cheap. I expect cleanliness in any hotel/motel that is all really.

Room Tip: check linens and cleanliness before you pay.
Summerfield, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

A nice place to stay on Lake Champlain instead of the Big Box Motels.
Helpful/friendly staff
McDonald's a few doors away
McSweeney's Michigans (aka. Texas Red Hots) just down the road
Near town.
200 characters! Are you serious? What ever happened to getting to the point. I'm not that verbose.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms offer view of Lake.
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The one and onely waterfront spot in Plattsburgh. Beautiful vue on Lake Champlain. Forget the Mall area and enjoy the clean and quiet Golden Gate Motel for less. Clean standard motel room, private beach, a few minutes from public beach and 20 minutes from Ausable Point and Ausable Chasm area. We'll comme back for sure !

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a rare find. Stay here if you can -- old-time motels like this with great location are disappearing. It's right on the beach, literally 30 seconds from room to water! THe only draw-back on the beach is that the water is very shallow for a long way out (if you have young kids, you'll probably consider this a good thing). Nice view, especially from our second floor South facing room. The decor is a little faded, but that sort of adds to the charm. The rooms are well-appointed, and ours had a little kitchen with all the necessary pots and table-ware, and everything was clean. Friendly price, with a discount for multiple-night stays.

Room Tip: Try to get a second floor room facing South, towards the lake end of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Great place if you love the beach!!! View from room balcony of Lake Champlain and Vermont is amazing. Our room on the second floor was newly renovated. It was super clean and looked better than any other room I've been in, in Plattsburg. They have a private beach and from there you can walk in the shallow water to the city beach and state park. We brought our kayaks and bikes and had a great time. We pretty much biked from our motel all over the city and kayaked directly from the beach just 100 feet from our door.

Room Tip: Take a room on second floor facing south.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Gate Motel? Share your experiences!