“Great Outdoor Dining” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 50 Restaurants in Pittsford
Cuisines: American, Austrian, European, Grill
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Richardson's Canal House is a casual gourmet kitchen set on the scenic banks of the Erie Canal in Pittsford, NY.
Honeoye Falls, New York, United States
“Great Outdoor Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Don't believe what Google says, Richardson's patio IS OPEN on Sunday night during the summer. We had a really nice meal outside in a terrific setting. How many places in Rochester can you get great food al fresco? Johann is a true gentlemen and great restauranteur.
Go There!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
“Accommodating staff and great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived as the lunch service was coming to an end, and the restaurant accepted us nevertheless. The accommodating nature of the staff and the service were excellent. In addition the food was tasty and the setting along the canal was extremely enjoyable despite a few pesky mosquitoes (even for lunch). Our overall experience was very good, and this is a great place to have lunch or dinner (I have had dinner there several times). Well done.

Visited June 2013
Rochester, New York
“Can't wait to come back again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a number of times with my family, and have always loved it.

In the past twelve months I have begun to establish myself as a young professional, and for the first time I visited this restaurant while picking up the check myself. Since I have entered this phase of my life I have become more critical of the service I pay for. This is especially true at restaurant's such as Richardson's, which are outside of my price range (except for special occasions). I am glad to say that this special occasion (valentine's day) was all I could have hoped for.

My date and I arrived and decided to visit the bar rather than heading straight to our table. The bartender was courteous, attentive, and more than willing to accommodate my date's less than ordinary drink request. After finishing our drinks, we let the host know that we were ready to sit, and he promptly escorted us to our table. The ambiance in the room we were seated was perfect - our table was right next to a fireplace.

While things up to this point were impressive, everything going forward was perfect. There were a number of interesting options on the menu when I visited - our server was knowledgeable and pointed us in a direction I would definitely recommend - Duck Quesadilla, Arugula Salad, Beef Tenderloin and Creme Brulee for dessert. Our server was also able to recommend a bottle of wine that was an excellent compliment to our meals, but didn't break the bank.

My only complaint was that the prices were high enough that it placed this restaurant out of my price range, except for special occasions. For the past 5 months I have been dying for an excuse to shell out and visit Richardson's again. Recently, I broke down and took my brother out for a welcome home from college dinner. This dinner could only be described as informal and fun. Richardson's delivered again: Spinach salad; duck breast; and a great outdoor table by the canal.

For those of you who are more established than myself, and can afford to sample Rochester's upscale options, I would definitely recommend a visit to Richardson's Canal House in the near future.

• Visited February 2013
fairport
“Food was average, owner of the restuarant is out of control”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. The owner of this place is out of control. I recently had a meal with friends and noticed the restaurant was BYOB. So I brought along a bottle of wine and so did my friends. When I received the bill I noticed a $32 fee for a wine corkage fee. $16 a bottle for a wine corkage fee, are you kidding me. I have eaten in fine restaurants all over the world and never been charged such an outrageous amount for a corkage fee. Let alone the restaurant did not even open the wine or cool it.

When I received the bill I asked I understand that BYOB restaurants have a corkage fee but $32 ($16 a bottle) is very steep in addition to the fact that there is no information or notice of a $16 a bottle corkage fee. To my shock I asked for the manger to explain the fee and the manager (owner) told me to pay it or he will call the cops. The owner started pointing fingers at me stating pay the corkage fee or he will have me arrested. What type of establishment is this?

I have never been so humiliated in all my life. A basic question of why is there a $32 corkage fee for two bottle of wine that I purchased and opened at a BYOB restaurant, turned into the owner threatening not only myself but the people that I was with is absolutely ludicrous.

I will never eat there again. I will also tell everyone I know to not eat there. I have never dealt with an establishment that acted so unprofessionally and treated a customer so poorly. Potential customers beware.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Classical Continental”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I returned to Richardson's recently for a business dinner after not being there for many years and found it to still be a first-rate experience. The food was polished continental cuisine and extremely well prepared. Service was very professional. We ate in the less formal pub area but there are extremely formal dining rooms (some semi-private) as well as the patio which is nice in good weather. Prices are on the high end so it is nice if someone else is paying or if it is a special occasion. And the food is not particularly inventive but wonderful if you are looking for the classics.

• Visited May 2013