“Lost 9lbs in Beautiful Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Birchcreek Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pine Hill
Birchcreek Retreat
Birch Creek Road, PO Box 517, Pine Hill, NY 12465   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Pine Hill B&B and Inns
Durham, North Carolina
“Lost 9lbs in Beautiful Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was very suprised that I lost 9lbs in 7 days especially given my height of 4'10! I did a combination of juicing and eating raw food. I won't lie, it was hard but worth it! Julie, Loni and Ron were great! They took care of everything! The hotel was average, but if it were a 5 star hotel, I probably couldn't afford it. The location was beautiful! I definitely recommend Birchcreek Retreat to anyone wanting to detox and deocompress from their busy lives!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Kind of important to distinguish the hotel and accommodations from the program. The hotel is a pretty good venue to do the work you've signed yourself up for. No tvs or phones (you won't miss them), though the internet worked fine so everything was accessable. Excellent location on the beach, scenic hikes and walking courses adjacent, good sized swimming pool (occasionally over-chlorinated), staff was very friendly. Recognize this is not a 4 or 5 star resort, but I was always quite comfortable.

The Birchcreek staff led by Ron and Julie are truly impassioned and inspiring. Ceaselessly, they bent over backwards to help program participants overcome their challenges and continue making progress towards their goals. Their knowledge of nutrition and diet was profound and totally altered my understanding of reality. In some ways, it's like Neo in the Matrix after taking the red pill. You can't go back, even if you wanted to. And you might get angry at the system that propogates an unhealthy diet in America.

The trainers we worked with were enormously positive and motivating, always cheery and smiling. Yet also very adaptive to the needs and capabilities of individuals. Our group had people who came in to the program in pretty good shape and others who were battling significant inactivity and weight issues. But in most situations, everyone could go at their own rate, focused on their own work, while being supportive of everyone else's goals. (Massages were awesome and are recommended.)

First time I've ever juiced - was an interesting experience. I started well but was more challenged towards the end. Very ready to get back to solid food after 7 days away. Anyway, the end result, considering I started at 175 pounds and was mostly looking to get in shape, I checked out at 158.8 -- a stunning loss of 16.2 pounds.

All in - if you're trying to press the re-start button on your life in terms of fitness and nutrition, Birchcreek Costa Rica will provide you a safe, scenic, comfortable retreat to do the work you've decided to gift to yourself.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Huntington, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just returned from Birchcreeks Costa Rica location. I was traveling with a friend who stayed for a week (I was only able to visit for 5 days due to work commitments). First of all I would like to compliment Ron, Julie and their beautiful daughter. They all went out of their way to make our experience both memorable and beneficial to our health. The juices, smoothies, and salads were both "filling" and delicious! I really didn't think I would have "enough to eat" but surprisingly I was not hungry and actually felt great! They do encourage you to drink A LOT of water which I am sure helps. Ron and Julie have a wealth of information to share about healthy lifestyle choices and exercise. They try to gear their lectures toward their "audience" and offer alternatives for those who are unable or unwilling to make "drastic" changes in their diet.
The exercise component of the retreat was great!! We had 2 separate instructors and the routines included cardio, strength training, yoga, and pilates. We also took several long beach and road walks and one "special hike" through the forest where we were treated to a large "family" of howler monkeys and incredible cliffside views of the beach!
The ONLY downside to the whole trip was the accommodations. If you are expecting a 4 or 5 star resort; forget it! It is a bit dated although I think the bathroom was recently remodeled. The help seems to have a rather lackadaisical approach to their job ( maybe it's a Costa Rican thing). There were quite a few little things I found quite annoying. I do want to stress however that if you are staying here through Birchcreek that you will have Julie to intercede on your behalf if there are any problems! We went straight to her, she spoke with the proper people and the issues were resolved in a timely manner.
Overall, I had a wonderful time. I do recommend this program to anyone who is serious about losing weight and getting in shape. Ron and Julie are very committed to their program and truly do want people to embrace a healthier lifestyle!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sunnyside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I had a great time at Birchcreek. The house and grounds are beautiful and I wasn't as hungry as I thought I would be on a juice and smoothie diet for three days. The staff is wonderful and the personal pilates and yoga classes with Kathy were great -- I told her my back usually has been hurting recently and she showed me exercises to prevent that and my back feels great! And I lost 5.6 pounds in three days! Thanks, I will definitely come again.

Room Tip: My room (22?) had nice sounds from running brook outside.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I was so sick of yo-yo dieting so I decided to get away from it all and retreat to an all inclusive detox weekend. I was in heaven! The beds were pretty and comfortable. The shower and sink was new and clean! The environment was calming with the river sounds and the MT view. The staff was so supportive and friendly. I am not sure what I loved best? the cardio kick boxing class on the MT side in 65 degree weather? the pilates class on the open air deck, which tanned me and shaped me? or the walks/hikes for 4-6 miles to see the local beautiful waterfalls, rivers, and ponds? I cant choose! Psychologically the staff helped me answer my own questions as to what were the road blocks to my success back at home. They educated me with 3 seminars (not live, but on DVD, that was fine, message was same). They provided me with a library of books available to round out my transformation (I choose a detox diet book I reccomend!). I am proud of myself that I "made it through" the juice weekend (they were yummy by the way), and definately reccomend the broth and many teas and citrus water to help fill your tummy. If you can afford to come here for 2 days or 2 weeks, you will be pleased with the accomidations, the attention, and the awakening that happens within!!! i cant wait to go back next year and hopefully show them how far I have come!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

For anyone looking for a healthy diet and lifestyle cleanse this is the place for you. It is in a beautiful setting in the Catskills and the staff are wonderful !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Cicero, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I was really just looking to get away by myself for a few days to relax, rejuvenate and and get motivated to live a healthier lifestyle. It was that and more. Great walks in the surrounding Catskill mountains, great tasting juices and very nice accommodations. The staff were friendly and informative. Great place. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Birchcreek Retreat? Share your experiences!