“Fantastic Lunch, Fantastic Amatriciana!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Restaurants in Piermont
Cuisines: European, Italian, Pizza & Pasta, Wine Bar
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: From Hell's Kitchen To Piermont Arturo Lepore, the chef and owner of Piermont's Confetti, is committed to cooking dishes "the same way they are cooked in Italy." By Jerry Eimbinder | Email the author | September 28, 2010 Piermont's Confetti has a story that begins in a troubled metropolitan neighborhood. Confetti chef and owner Arturo Lepore grew up in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen, an area in midtown known for its tenement housing and turbulent role in the history of New York City. In 1959, Lepore's father and uncle opened a pizzeria in Hell's Kitchen called Mimi's-Lepore, just 12-years-old at the time, was in the kitchen grating cheese on opening day. But he was a fast learner: a few years later he was hired as a prep cook by Giodano's, a neighborhood Italian restaurant. From there on out he continued to climb the culinary ladder: at 19 he joined Lapace-an upscale Italian restaurant-as a pasta chef, training under respected restaurateur and chef Tony May. In his early 20s, Lepore went to work as sous chef at a resplendent restaurant called The Opera in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, where he learned to cook international dishes like pheasant and quail. Next, Lepore joined La Pitite Auberge, a classic French restaurant in Cresskill, New Jersey, and worked for chef Jean Breque who was formerly the executive chef at New York City's Maxwell's Plum. (Maxwell's Plum was a famous First-Avenue restaurant that mixed food and flamboyance in the mid-1960s and won a four-star rating from The New York Times.) In 1980, Lepore and his twin brother Steve opened a 70-seat restaurant in Norwood, New Jersey called Confetti. Five years later, when they needed larger space, they upgraded to a 275-seat restaurant called Parmigiano in Old Tappan, New Jersey, often preparing 500 or more meals a night. After Parmigiano, it seemed like the end of restaurant ventures; Lepore's brother retired 2007, and Arthur one year later. But when he strolled past Pasta Amore in Piermont this year, the owner called out to Lepore in jest. "Arturo, buy my place," the owner joked. "Get back in the business." Lepore laughed, but shortly afterwards he realized his sons, Joseph and Sam, were serious about pursuing careers as restaurateurs. So he decided to come out of retirement and bought Pasta Amore from its owner. A major redesign was undertaken by architect Martin Santini. From the start, Lepore decided that Confetti would offer authentic Italian dishes and cook meals "the same way they are cooked in Italy." New menu in preparation (and some suggestions from the chef) This October, Lepore will introduce a new fall/winter menu. The menu is still in the planning stages, Lepore said, so the following preview may be subject to change. At this point, it looks like veal chop-an old-time Confetti favorite-will go on the menu. Another addition is a pasta dish with duck ragu sauce (the homemade noodle has yet to be determined, Lepore said). The lasagna will undergo a change, too, but exactly how this will be accomplished hasn't been decided yet either; a pasta with almonds now on the menu will be dropped. Branzino (sea bass) is one of Confetti's most popular main courses, and it remains on the menu. It can be ordered whole or filleted, but Lepore recommends choosing the whole-fish option. Spada(swordfish) will be replaced by striped bass and/or halibut. Lamb osso bucco will bow in on the new menu but Tagliata, a sirloin steak, gives way to filet mignon in red wine sauce. Vitello Saltimbocca (sauteed veal with prosciuttto di parma and sage in a marsala sauce over spinach) stays on the menu. Rabbit will be offered on occasion as a special. Other game will also appear from time to time as specials, including venison, pheasant and possibly quail. New to the appetizer list will be a Venetian version of sardines and Cipollini onions and also cannelloni and shrimp with onions. Boar salami will become an antipasti choice. One dish that is certainly sticking around is Lepore's favorite, Chicken Country Style-a combination of chicken, sausage, peppers, potatoes and onions in a sweet and sour sauce. "It has layers and layers of flavor," he said. Much of the food at Confetti is homemade including the bread, pasta and desserts, Lepore added. Confetti buys its flour from suppliers in Italy. Some of Lepore's inspiration has come from trips to Italy-he recently visited a wine show in Verona and attended a food show in Palma looking for cheeses, condiments and meats. Confetti is located at 200 Ash Street in Piermont. It opens for lunch seven days a week at noon, and remains open until 10 p.M. During the week, 11 p.M. On Friday and Saturday and 9 p.M. On Sunday.
Englewood, New Jersey
“Fantastic Lunch, Fantastic Amatriciana!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Let me start this by saying, we often go to Piermont, but never went to Confetti! Why? it seemed too large and trendy to have good food, not fair to make that assumption!! So on Sunday, one of the hottest days imaginable, we took a ride to Piermont, too hot to eat outside, and decided to give Confetti a try. Sat in the bar area, ordered Prosecco, they were out of it, everyone drinking Prosecco the night before the very nice waiter said, He then ventured to find me a nice summery wine, and he did, delicious and reasonably priced! They brought out a bread basket of the most gorgeous foccacia, and olives and some dips, perfect with the wine, while we waited for our lunch. There were two things on the menu that are my favorites in the world, but, so far, with the exception of one other restaurant, have been a complete bust everywhere, even the finest and most expensive restaurants!! Fried Artichokes and Pasta all Amatriciana! We fell in love with these two dishes on our trips to Rome, an everyday dish, done in every restaurant--but no one ever does it right here! I joked with the waiter--saying I am going to take a chance on this and ordered the fried artichokes which we shared--they were crispy and delicious on a beautiful piece of good bread toasted. So yummy, I could have eaten more of them and called it a day! My husband had roast suckling pig with escarole and white beans and polenta. He absolutely loved it. I tasted it and it was so good! I "dared" to order the "Paccheri all Amatriciana" , even though the waiter jokingly assured me if I had it I would be back "next week" I really and truly expected to be disappointed! Out came my pasta in a beautiful presentation. The waiter said "I am not leaving until you taste it" I did, and said it is fabulous, after eating some more I called him back and said, the pasta is perfect "al dente" and this is the best pasta I have had in a restaurant in years!! He then brought out the chef--who turned out to be from Venice, we had a lovely conversation and I told him that I had given up hope of ever getting a decent dish of Amatriciana in the US, and that I was absolutely thrilled with it. Our experience was excellent the waiter was charming and funny and our lunch was exceptional. We had great food and service. We will definitely go back and bring the friends we went to Rome with as they too have been yearning for a good dish of Amatriciana!!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mamaroneck, New York
“Wouldn't go back if you paid me”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My significant other and I visited Piermont today for the first time and wound up at Confetti, while searching for a meal. Let me just say that I will never be going there again. While the decor is alright and the locale is idyllic the wait staff leave much to be desired. We had just ordered drinks when the waiter made a completely inappropriate comment, insulting us both. I'm 25 years old and apparently know better than our "seasoned" waiter how to speak politely with a stranger. Needless to say we spoke with the hostess, left a small tip and went on our way. Would not recommend and will never go there again.

• Visited June 2013
Darien, CT
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Everything about our dinner there was mediocre.... service (waitstaff seems dis-engaged) and the food was tasteless.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect Easter Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I came here with my mother and grandmother for an Easter Sunday lunch. Everything went right with the meal.

We were seated away from the majority of people, which was perfect for my grandmother. Our server was very, very attentive, chatty, and knowledgeable. My grandmother had a lot of questions regarding the menu and he was so patient with her and seemed to really enjoy speaking with her and helping us out.

The food was absolutely delicious (they had a special menu for Easter). We had a cold seafood salad, with scungilli, calamari, shrimp, etc. It was so fresh and flavorful and a very large portion! We shared between the three of us with no problem. I had a pasta dish with a lamb meat sauce, my mother had a pork dish, and my grandmother had a steak dish. We all shared everything because we couldn't believe how good it was. The vegetables still had a good amount of crunch to them, and the presentation was beautiful.

Once the meal was over (we couldn't finish our dishes, where they were so large) I turned my fork over, more from habit than actually expecting the busboys to know what it meant. Within seconds the busboy showed up, getting the hint, and whisked my plate away to pack up the leftovers.

If you want a special meal, and can spend a little extra, this place is definitely worth the money and it will be a special meal.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Westwood, New Jersey
“What a great place- Bar Food View !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Being a Wedding Florist we do a lot of work in Piermont at the catering hall across the way, The View on the Hudson. After a hectic day of preparing the perfect wedding decor for our special clients, it nice to treat ourselves to something special and Confetti's absolutely fit the bill. The place is hoppin ( during our Sunday night visit) a real loud, noisy bar filled with real out going friendly people. We hung out there waiting for a table to become available, which was such a short time we did not have time to finish our out of sight Peach Martini's, we were told to take our time at the bar, they would hold our out outdoor table for us. The Hostesses were both great and spoke to us like we were family. Our meal was fantastic, we shared an app -Fritto Misto- fried calamari, shrimp, zucchini with san marzano and aioli sauce. I had a $ 20 entree of mini gnocchi's Gnocchetti al Curry con Ragu di Maile e Mele, Lightly seasoned curry potato gnocchetti in a pork & diced apple sauce, which was terrific, my wife had the Veal Saltimbocca and loved it. Our waiter was super attentive and our outdoor table with a view of the park, the river and the village made for a fantastic experience. Not super fancy but tastefully upscale, casual dining as it should be.

• Visited May 2013