“Good Italian Food” 4 of 5 stars

101 Liberty St., Penn Yan, NY
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Delivery
Description: 3156947402 is the phone number. They just opened up about a month ago.
dundee
“Good Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The food was really good, I was slightly disappointed with the antipasti however. I felt it was just a salad with a few pieces of meat and vegetables. Their sauce is good and portions size is good. I understand they are just starting out, but they need to update the interior to be just a little more Italy style.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Wonderful meal - a hidden gem in Penn Yan, NY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We visited this restaurant today. We live in the area but had family visiting from out of state and thought to give this restaurant a try. We were a party of 5.
We were greeted as we entered the restaurant and immediately seated. The waitress was excellent and attended to our requests and one of the most pleasant waitresses we've encountered in local restaurants we've visited.
Our order consisted of two lasagna, one meatball sandwich, one Garlic,mozzarella and olive oil pizza and I ordered the Eggplant Rollatini. We also ordered the Miniature Mozzarella Sticks for the Appetizer.
I need to mention the hot, homemade bread that was served. It was so delicious and reminded us of ciabatta bread. The miniature mozzarella sticks were great. Not greasy or over cooked and just the right bite size.
Those that had the lasagna thought it had great texture. One of them thought it could have less sauce, although the sauce was delicious, they preferred less of it and the other person appreciated the extra sauce.
The meatball sandwich was served on the same type of homemade bread and the meatballs instead of being round were flattened to better fit the bread. They thought this was an excellent way to serve a meatball sandwich and were pleased with the flavor.
The pizza was very thin crusted and very light. No heavy thick crust. Just the right amount of seasonings and baked perfectly.
Eggplant Rollatini that I had was perfect. Just 3 rolls but more than enough to fill me. Just by looking at the texture you knew this was homemade. Absolutely love it.

We finished off the meal by trying the New York Cheesecake and the Italian Cream Cake. Given the portion sizes, we decided to share rather than ordering individual desserts. Those that had the cheesecake thought it was very good but it was heavy which cheesecake usually is. I shared the Italian Cream cake which reminded me of a sponge cake with a nice very light lemony flavor filling. Not too sweet and definitely something we would order again.

The decor is fine. I'm not sure what others were expecting but it was not dim or dark.

Overall, I definitely feel this is a restaurant to visit. Reasonable prices and although they don't have a liquor license, you don't need it. Enjoy the food as this is what the restaurant is all about...GOOD FOOD.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canada
“I trusted trip adviser reviews - and was sadly disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My partner and I had dinner here our first night in Penn Yan, mainly due to the good reviews from trip adviser and the fact it was directly across the road from the Best Western.We really aren't picky eaters but we were disappointed in the food.The bruschetta was basic and cold, the bread that came with the meal was stale, and I ordered stuffed shells which were drowned in sauce and lacked in taste, while my partner's chicken dish tasted like it had come reheated out of a microwave.
The decor is sad and depressing,even the paint around the windows hasn't been finished.It is dark and not welcoming inside. Our waitress was friendly ,but if this place wants to stay around, I hope they get a liquor license and a new chef.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Penn Yan, New York, United States
“A surprising treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I took my wife to La Trattoria for her birthday this year. We wanted something casual, and she suggested trying out their pizza.

A little backstory; as a Buffalo born and raised man, I'm quite picky about my pizza and wings. Only one place anywhere around Penn Yan makes a decent pizza, but they've been hit or miss depending on the cook that prepares it. So I was not expecting much from La Trattoria at first. I was letting my prejudice of Penn Yan pizza, and their somewhat minimalistic atmosphere influence me.

I'm proud to say I couldn't have been more wrong. The pizza was very good, possibly the best pizza I've had since moving to Penn Yan that I didn't make myself. The sauce was a little more on the mild side then I personally like, but the dough was excellent and perfectly done in New York thin crust style. There were a good amount of toppings and it was baked to absolute perfection, not too doughy, not too crispy. But what really blew my mind was the wings. These were perfect Buffalo style wings. Immediately upon biting into them I could tell that they were properly done with butter and Franks brand redhot sauce. Deep fried just enough to give the right amount of crisp without burning, they were absolutely drenched in sauce. Also in typical Buffalo tradition their 'mild' wings were about as spicy as anywhere elses 'medium' in the area. To me that's perfect, but if you're sensitive to spicy foods, be forewarned.

Here's the kicker. The price was fantastic. For possibly the best pizza I've had outside of Buffalo, and definitly the best wings, it was under $15. The other local place that's decent charges more than twice that much for the same thing. My wife and I made sure we got a menu so we could order from them in the future after they told us they even deliver!

As for the restaurant itself, well, the decor is the only downside I could see. The location has been converted from a pizza place, to a cafe, to a chineese buffet, to a diner, and then to it's current itteration. As such it feels a bit picked over. The decor is a bit minimalist and the blacks and reds fit the theme, but feel a bit sparse. However the fantastic service from not only our waitress, but someone who I'm going to assume was the owner was as excellent as you could expect.

All told I'm really blown away by this hidden treasure in Penn Yan. I would highly suggest you try it out, and don't make a judgement based on the appearance, you won't regret your meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Summerton, South Carolina
“Excellent food! Don't judge by the outside!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I ate at this restaurant twice while visiting Penn Yan; once as take-out and once sit-down. One of my orders was for pizza and it was excellent! I was told that they make their own sauce and it certainly tasted like it. The order was for hand-tossed crust and that was great, also. In both cases, the service was prompt and friendly. I also had the New York Cheesecake for desert, expecting the normal heavy and dry version. This was light and delicious!

The restaurant stands on a prominent corner in Penn Yan, but it is hard to that tell it is now "open" even with an outdoor sign saying so. The entrance, which is on the side, is relatively unmarked. I am not sure that this is a complaint, since when I was there, I was hoping a crowd would not find the place.

• Visited July 2012