“Busy!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 9 things to do in Peconic
Activities: Wine tasting
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered the largest winery on Long Island, with more than 550 acres of grapes producing 20 different wines, you have to come early to avoid the crowds at the wine-tasting bar.
Hillsdale, New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
“Busy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Pindar Vineyards is the largest vineyard on the Island, and it shows. I have visited Pindar 3 times, different times of the year, and it is always packed. You have to pay for tasting in advance. Our pourer poured, answered a few questions, then abandoned us to take care of someone else. So we got another pourer who proceeded to start all over. I think we payed $10 for tasting 5 wines. Overall, a nice place - definitely big, so a bit intimidating if you've never been to a winery. One negative -- the restrooms are located outside in a nearby, separate building between the tasting room and vineyard. They have a nice outdoor seating area, so we got a few bottles and enjoyed the sunshine. The Pythagoras Red Blend got my vote.

Visited November 2013

cedar grove, New Jersey, USA
“Very Poor Wines”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stopped at Pindar on Oct. 4, 2013 to pickup a couple bottles and received a confident recommendation that the Cab and Peacock Chard were drinking very well. I'll keep this review simple by stating that the Cab was like drinking water. Lifeless, no body, etc. The Chard was pretty much in the same category. These are just awful wines and I honestly do not know how Pindar stays in business. I do not want to sound snobbish, but I have extensive experience with wines at all price points and my palate is very well developed. I am always trying to find the positive attributes in a wine, but in this case, Pindar failed to deliver anything that I could remotely consider worthy of a positive comment. Very disappointing!

Visited October 2013
new york
251 attraction reviews
“Long Island wineries advice and opinion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was my third L.I. winery--not in one day. We arrived toward the later side I'd say, 3 pm, there was live music, which was not audible from the deck. There is a large deck - and somehow plenty of seats. Insdie, the tasting room is large for my taste. The prices are not there to gouge you. In fact, all I bought was a water for $1.50 and sat outside. People picnic'ed. As long as you don't bring outside wine, you can pretty much do as you wish. The vines are right there-fun to see how grapes grow.

My tips:
1. I fyou want a specific wine, call ahead. Many favorites sell out.
2. If your heart is set on a particular winery-vineyard, call ahead. Private parties and weddings can close the one of your choice, if not all afternoon, by 4 pm.
3. Check opening hours. 11 am may be when- it can be delightful to lunch at one...and far less crowded.
4. If you aren't in a limo or a bachelorette party, consider wineries that don't want the limos.
5. Remember you are not under pressure.
6. There may be no great bargains.
7. I like Paumanok, where the flight of 3 tastes of whites costs but $6.

Vero Beach, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I love the wines and the staff is good. I believe that because of the size it seems to not be a homey as others are with a more hospital feel . Still worth the visit if crowed maybe pass to another time.

Manchester, ME
13 attraction reviews
“Awful -- so many better options all along the road”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stopped at two wineries for tastings for my birthday weekend. My parents really wanted to stop at Pindar because they had a coupon. MISTAKE! They offer coupons for a reason: They have disgusting wines and terrible service.
We waited and waited... and waited for them to help us and then once they did we had to wait for what seemed like an eternity to get our next sample (you buy 5 samples for one price). Out of the list of available samples they had very few in stock to actually sample.
They also sell cheese and cracker platters: in a ziplock bag for way too much money with a plastic knife and styrofoam plate. GROSS.
The wines were BOTTOM of the line wines. There are so many better wineries to visit along the route... go anywhere else!