We recently stayed here with a wedding party and I am incredibly disappointed in our experience for two reasons:
1) My card has been charged so many times that it makes me wonder if there is someone in the back room just slapping buttons. One week prior to our arrival, I had three separate credit card charges from the Hilton Pearl River, totaling over $1500. Our correct total price was something like $250 so I thought at first that someone had stolen our card. I had to call Hilton customer service to get it sorted out and had a long voice mail from someone at the Pearl River saying there were very sorry for the inconvenience and the incorrect charges were being reversed. The charges did get reversed, but not a word was said about all the charges until I had to call in and make a fuss. I also mentioned the overcharging at the front desk and was very rudely told that it was pricline's fault (who be booked through) and not the hotel's. This was a flat out lie and the fact that I was not confrontational at all when bringing it up gave me the impression that the staff was very unprofessional. For the record, I confirmed with Hilton that if the charge says "Pearl River Hilton" it is directly from the hotel, not priceline. Now, after we have left, I have another $100 charge on my card for who knows what and will need to make another call to Hilton to get it removed.
2) Just like another reviewer, I booked a king room. We arrived around 5pm on a Friday and the check-in process went very smoothly. After we went up to the room, though, it was obvious that we did not have a king room and no mention was ever made that we wouldn't. I called the front desk to ask why and again got a rude response about how they only have "so many" king rooms available. I asked why I had been confirmed for a king room when I booked and was told that "they both cost the same, so you get a queen or two doubles." That makes absolutely no sense to me. The reservation says nothing like "or equivalent" or "not guaranteed" etc. I also didn't like that the response to asking why we didn't get the room we reserved was just that it was too bad.
Those were my two biggest issues by far, but the rude and unfriendly staff did not help, and I would agree with other reviewers that the heating/cooling unit in the room was very noisy. We are not light sleepers, but both woke up several times a night as it kicked on and off the first night. The second night, we just left it running constantly so that at least the noise would not be a problem. The walls are very thin, and we heard some very rhythmic "squeaking" the second night (good for them, I guess). We could hear every word of every conversation coming from the hallway and even a few rooms down the hall.
There is really nothing special about this hotel, other than the appearance of the exterior. It is very pretty looking and I am sure would be nice for photos or something. But inside is just average. The rooms are outdated (read: ugly) and small, the staff is unprofessional and unfriendly, and you better have plenty of room on your credit card for when you start getting phantom charges before (and after) your arrival.
I would not stay here again. This hotel does not live up to the Hilton name.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Pearl River is located on 17 wooded acres just 20 minutes from Manhattan and bordering Bergen County, NJ. Our hotel's design, reminiscent of a country French mansion, and location have earned us the nickname "The Chateau in The Country near The City." We are proud to be a family-owned and operated business and to be recognized for "Best Overall Service" of all Hiltons in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut for the past five years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Hilton Hotels so you can book your Hilton Pearl River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Pearl River Hotel Pearl River
- Hilton Hotel Pearl River