“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Palmyra B&B and Inns
Camden, Maine
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have stayed at the inn several times and sadly find it to be going downhill. We found it badly in need of an update when staying there this week...worn carpets, uncomfortable mattresses, old, heavy and pilled beadspreads, towels threadbare and thin, cracked tiles in the bathroom, stained plastic dishware, spotty wifi which can be annoying. Breakfast options haven't changed in five years-still using styrofoam. Two of the three machines in the exercise room were out of order and the jacuzzi was lukewarm at best.
On the plus side, the location is convenient and the rooms large.

Room Tip: Ask for room on bacsside of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

You can't beat the price for what you get. We stayed in the two bedroom suite which had 3 twins in one room (we only used 2) and a king in the other room. The kitchenette had a microwave, full size refrigerator, microwave, sink and included dishes & pots/pans. We did need to ask for a sharp knife to cut vegetables and such. A nice continental breakfast is provied each morning. The king bed was very firm, which seemed to be the main drawback. It's not a fancy room, but it was clean, had plenty of towels and room to sleep 5-7 with a kitchenette. The TV had a built in DVD/VCR, which was handy. Only one tv was located in the sitting area, it would have been nice to have tv's in each of the bedrooms, but is understandable for a budget hotel. The fitness room is lacking with both treadmills not working, which only left the eliptical machine. The location is superb if you are visiting the LDS history sites in the area. I highly suggest the Palmyra Inn if you are traveling on a budget and/or with a family.

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This property is clean and the breakfast staff was extremely friendly. She assisted my 8-yr-old in making a "special" hot cocoa, which she really enjoyed. The rooms are clean and nicely appointed. My only complaint is that the TV is a bit scary, the way it's tethered above the bureau with plastic straps. What happens when the strap gets brittle and breaks? Are these checked routinely?

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here recently for a family gathering, and I must say the hotel was very accommodating of our large group and let us gather in one of the adjoining rooms in the evenings while we were there. That said, as some other reviewers have mentioned the outside appearance as well as the lobby are updated and inviting, but our room felt like it needed some TLC. It was clean -- except for the shower curtain which was stuck to the wall with pink mold. The linens all seemed very worn out and faded, and the king size mattress was lumpy and uncomfortable.

The room had a kitchenette and a sofa, but the layout was very odd and the tv was on top of a wardrobe so no matter where you sat you would be looking at an angle. And the wardrobe is the only place to hang clothes, so long items such as pants or a long dress couldn't be hung up without folding.

There is free wifi, and a fitness room with two treadmills and an elliptical. However, both treadmills were out of order during our stay.

Breakfast is mostly toaster-driven, with a selection of bagels, waffles, and english muffins. There were also hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, and yogurt available. The coffee was the worst I have had in a long time. None of this was the fault of the woman on breakfast duty, who was hardworking and kept the food well supplied and the tables cleared quickly. Everything is plastic and styrofoam -- forks, spoons, coffee cups and plates.

The front desk staff was mostly very pleasant and helpful. It's not someplace I would stay again, but if I were interested in the LDS historical sites, I can see why this hotel would be appealing. Just don't expect a slightly more upscale experience, which is what the outside and the lobby imply.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room next to the ice machine, which is also next to the laundry room. I had no idea...
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A pleasant place to stay when visiting the town of Palmyra. Our room included a small kitchenette that allowed us to avoid the expense of having to eat all our meals out. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and not cramped.

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I just returned from a business trip to the Palmyra area. I stayed two nights at the Palmyra Inn.
My stay included a continental breakfast.
The room was clean and the environment was quiet.
I found the floors to feel like concrete and I realized that even with carpeting there was no underpadding under the floor covering.
That was a bit weird but considering you aren't walking around the room all night it was not a biggie.
The washroom was clean and the shower was ok and there was a hair dryer and lots of towels.
One of the towels was frayed and torn and this miffed me a bit.
The staff was helpful.
My only complaint is that they advertised a fitness room and in fact they did have one.
There were two treadmills and an elliptical machine.
Both treadmills were broken and while I was able to use the elliptical machine it too was broken in that the computer readout and programming kept shorting out and didn't work properly.
Nevertheless I was able to use the machine without the readout.
My room had a king bed along with a kitchenette which included a microwave oven, small fridge and sink right in the room.
There was a table to eat meals with two chairs and opposite the bed was a rectangular desk bult into the wall.
The wifi was excellent although certain website were blocked because of the hotel's affiliation with the Mormon community and the fact a lot of the visitors stay at the hotel while visiting Palmyra as it is the birthplace of the Mormon religion and the headquarters of the religion are just up the road.
I didn't didn't the internet issue to be a problem at all as I was just checking email and sports and some business files online.

Overall the hotel was fine.

I should also mention that I accidentally left the door to my room open..I left at 8am in the morning and returned at 7:30pm that night..I had put the privacy sign on my room as I was only staying 2 nights and didn't need housekeeping.
When I retuned that night and realized I had not pulled the door shut I freaked out.
But upon entering the room I realized all my belongings and valuables were still there.
I can honestly say that I was very lucky but I attribute this to the honesty and ethics of the people that use and work at the hotel so thumbs up to the Palmyra Inn!

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor so you have no one above you if you want quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed in this hotel at the end of August. The hotel looked ok from the outside but that is where it stopped for me. The rooms looked like they needed updating, the bed was not comfortable and creaked at every move. Our room must not have been cleaned properly because when we did a check before we left the room we found old bananas in a cupboard that were certainly not ours! the breakfast was poor, I do not understand hotels that provide everything with plastic bowls, plates and cutlery, a sign of laziness as far as I am concerned ..what a sad reflection of the kind of service a hotel wants to provide.
The plus for me was the laundry facility, it was good for us to wash some clothes as we had been traveling. It is ideally situated for LDS sights but that is all I'm afraid. Needs attention and a bit more effort to give a better service to those who pay to stay at their hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Palmyra Inn? Share your experiences!