“Clean and quite” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Palmyra B&B and Inns
Alexandria, VA
“Clean and quite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A pleasant place to stay when visiting the town of Palmyra. Our room included a small kitchenette that allowed us to avoid the expense of having to eat all our meals out. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and not cramped.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I just returned from a business trip to the Palmyra area. I stayed two nights at the Palmyra Inn.
My stay included a continental breakfast.
The room was clean and the environment was quiet.
I found the floors to feel like concrete and I realized that even with carpeting there was no underpadding under the floor covering.
That was a bit weird but considering you aren't walking around the room all night it was not a biggie.
The washroom was clean and the shower was ok and there was a hair dryer and lots of towels.
One of the towels was frayed and torn and this miffed me a bit.
The staff was helpful.
My only complaint is that they advertised a fitness room and in fact they did have one.
There were two treadmills and an elliptical machine.
Both treadmills were broken and while I was able to use the elliptical machine it too was broken in that the computer readout and programming kept shorting out and didn't work properly.
Nevertheless I was able to use the machine without the readout.
My room had a king bed along with a kitchenette which included a microwave oven, small fridge and sink right in the room.
There was a table to eat meals with two chairs and opposite the bed was a rectangular desk bult into the wall.
The wifi was excellent although certain website were blocked because of the hotel's affiliation with the Mormon community and the fact a lot of the visitors stay at the hotel while visiting Palmyra as it is the birthplace of the Mormon religion and the headquarters of the religion are just up the road.
I didn't didn't the internet issue to be a problem at all as I was just checking email and sports and some business files online.

Overall the hotel was fine.

I should also mention that I accidentally left the door to my room open..I left at 8am in the morning and returned at 7:30pm that night..I had put the privacy sign on my room as I was only staying 2 nights and didn't need housekeeping.
When I retuned that night and realized I had not pulled the door shut I freaked out.
But upon entering the room I realized all my belongings and valuables were still there.
I can honestly say that I was very lucky but I attribute this to the honesty and ethics of the people that use and work at the hotel so thumbs up to the Palmyra Inn!

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor so you have no one above you if you want quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed in this hotel at the end of August. The hotel looked ok from the outside but that is where it stopped for me. The rooms looked like they needed updating, the bed was not comfortable and creaked at every move. Our room must not have been cleaned properly because when we did a check before we left the room we found old bananas in a cupboard that were certainly not ours! the breakfast was poor, I do not understand hotels that provide everything with plastic bowls, plates and cutlery, a sign of laziness as far as I am concerned ..what a sad reflection of the kind of service a hotel wants to provide.
The plus for me was the laundry facility, it was good for us to wash some clothes as we had been traveling. It is ideally situated for LDS sights but that is all I'm afraid. Needs attention and a bit more effort to give a better service to those who pay to stay at their hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Orem, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I usually don't complain about hotels. I realize that it isn't easy to please everyone. I do a great deal of traveling and have actually been to this hotel on several occasions. I found the outside of the building inviting as was the lobby. But the rooms have gone downhill. The rooms are "tired" and they need a deep cleaning. However, my main complaint is the mattresses. The king is two twins pushed together. If this were the only problem I wouldn't complain. I don't think I have ever slept on a mattress that was so uncomfortable. Both my husband and I tossed and turned all night. Not only were they extremely uncomfortable, they make a terrible sound every time you move. We both got very little sleep and had backaches the next day from the lumpy, bumpy, mattresses. To top it off, the next morning I found a silver fish on my towel. YUK!!! When I told the staff at the desk our concern about the quality of the mattresses and the bugs we found in our room, we only got a shrug of the shoulders. The breakfast wasn't anything special but I'm ok with that. I don't expect anything fancy. But I do expect to sleep in a clean room on a comfortable bed. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't pay for your room until you inspect it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toano, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

For the price, Palmyra Inn was terrific: clean, centrally convenient to many attractions and the kitchen with full-sized fridge helped us save a lot of money we would have spent on eating out. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Grounds were clean and well kept. Continental breakfast was about the same as most others out there. The room slept our family of 4 very comfortably. Will definately stay here again if we're ever in the area!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great hotel. The kids liked the setup of the room with the single beds, a king size bed and the kitchen setup. The mattresses definitly need to be replaced!!! The kids would have enjoyed a pool but we made what use we could out of the 10 man hot tub. Our room was clean and the staff were very friendly. Great breakfast in the morning. Definitly would go back again if we ever visit that area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Delta, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

There was hair in the shower. The fact that it wasn't just one hair proved to me that the shower hadn't been cleaned. Anyone who had tried to clean the shower would have noticed that. Furthermore, there were Cobwebs and a spider on the floor of the bathroom. This also proved that no one had swept the floor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palmyra Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!