“Overpriced for what you get” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ozone Park
globeseeker007
1,076 helpful votes 1,076 helpful votes
“Overpriced for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

When you arrive at JFK airport, you have to take the Air Tran to a place called Federal Circle and then use the courtesy phone to call the hotel. When you are ready to go back to the airport, the hotel shuttle will drop you off at your terminal. That's the airport's rules, not La Quinta rules. Therefore, the hotel takes quite a while such as half an hour or more to pick you up. We waited so long that we didn't tip the scumbag driving the shuttle who finally made it over to pick us up. There were also other guests waiting for the pickup. The hotel is located in an area where there isn't any place to eat nearby unless you like to do a lot of walking or have the use of an auto. I would advise anyone to eat at the airport before coming out to the motel. There is a crummy little store about half a block from the hotel, however it's nothing like the average convenience store where one buys gas. The continental breakfast is not typical of those usually served by La Quinta. It is more like those served by Super 8 motels whose continental breakfasts are crummy. This place had no yoghurt nor did they have a place to toast the bagles. There were apples & oranges but no bananas. The breakfast seemed as if the hotel tried to serve as less as they possibly could. The rooms are small but clean and look as though they have been remodeled. We have stayed at much better La Quinta hotels than this. However, they do have a computer available to their guests which is where I'm presently writing this evaluation of them while waiting to be taken to the airport.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

The room was nice and new. Very clean bathroom, floor. Nice flat screen TV. Although I couldn't sleep because the TV next to me was really loud. I called the reception desk but did nothing about that.
Breakfast: continental, mostly sweet rolls, nothing special.
I agree with most people writing comments about staff: the are not professionals. They are supposed to have a shuttle to JFK Airport every hour. I was supposed to take one at 9am. The driver got in fight with a bunch of Middle Eastern guys who wanted to go to La Guardia. They were screaming at him and threating him...I got pretty scared and didn't feel comfortable. Finally, the driver decided to go to JFK but noticed that the key to the car got stolen (!). He didn't have a spare key, they didn't have another shuttle...Me and another traveller asked at the front desk to call the cab but she refused saying that Cynthia, the manager had a big car and she would take us to the airport. She did. But the car was tiny, dirty, we squeezed on the back seat praying not to have an accident...Bacause she was driving fast.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

- very small rooms
- a total of 8 parking spaces
- room wasn't cleaned upon return
- bad location
- rude staff
- extremely noisy

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Overall a very very bad experience especially the rude spanish girl at the front desk. We asked her to keep our luggage for a couple of hours and she said " I WILL THROW THEM OUT IF YOU DON'T RETURN IN A COUPLE OF HOURS". This girl should be immediately fired and we strongly recommend not to stay in this hotel.
Probably the worst hotel we have stayed in.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I am here now and am checking out just as soon as I possibly can.

After a long day of travel from Los Angeles, I arrived at the hotel at about 1:30 am.
I found Cynthia at the front desk to be slightly impatient in her mannerisms toward me.
I was given room 314. When I got settled I plugged in my cord for my laptop - the cord only, not the laptop itself - and it blew an electrical circuit in for the power in the room (except for the bathroom)
I called and Cynthia said she's send "security" up to look at it.
Security? For an electrical problem? Okay then....that should have been my first clue.

So Mr. security arrives and entered an electrical closet in the corridor and proceeded to flip a bunch of breaker switches, all the while mumbling that he didn't understand what the problem was. After about 10 minutes of flipping switches in the closet, the power came back on. Great! About a minute later the power went out again in that part of the room.

So here it is, 2am, I am exhausted but I gather all my belongings and head to the front desk to ask for a different room. Cynthia informed me that, 'I don't have any more rooms".
So I asked for a refund and to have her call me a cab so I could go somewhere else. After a few more minutes of Cynthia looking in her computer, she was able to "find" a suite at an additional cost and tersely let me know she would upgrade me to a suite because she "had no other choice" and "I don't know what else to do".
When I made it clear I would not be paying the extra amount for a suite, she made me feel as if she was doing me a favor by upgrading me to the suite without charging me the difference. And just so you know, the suite is simply a larger room with a couch chairs and a desk. We're not talking spa here. I just want to know why they have a desk set up when they have to know that anyone with a laptop is not gonna be able to use it in the rooms!

So I finally get settled again, shower and watch TV until I fall asleep about 3:30am. I didn't dare plug in my computer in the suite - which was room 309!

A couple of hours later the room telephone awakens me at 7:09 am - it is the front desk asking me if everything is okay and that they have my credit card at the front desk.
At 7:09 am??? Really? I did not appreciate that wake up call - keep in mind I am on Los Angeles time, so it was "really" 4:09 am for me. How am I supposed to be alert and ready for my business meeting after all this?

So after a long day of travel, an awful night trying to sleep and being awakened early for a stupid reason, I got up, plugged in my laptop and it happened again, - I blew ANOTHER power circuit in this room too. I only plugged in the cord, not my actual laptop. And it's an HP laptop I have taken all over the world, so I know it is not my laptop causing the electrical problem directly.

So that was it. I decided I am not staying here any more! I was supposed to stay 2 nights on a business trip but I can't even check my email, let alone get any work done!
So I called another hotel, and will be checking in later today.

I figured I'd at least have breakfast before I check out, since I hadn't eaten since the day before. The breakfast selection was lame, not much of anything left other than mini-yogurt containers and 2 small banana muffins. And this was at about 8am.

So I took "breakfast" back up to my room, repacked my belongings and went back downstairs to check out. The woman at the front desk stated the shuttle would be arriving in 12 to 15 minutes to take me back to Federal Circle in order for me to meet the other hotel shuttle I would be taking.

I waited 25 minutes, still no shuttle as promised, so I had them call me a private cab which cost me $20 just to get back to the airport - less than 2 miles away. I had a meeting time arranged with the other hotel shuttle and after what I had been through with La Quinta, I do not trust them to not ruin my travel and meeting plans.
Did I mention there is nothing within walking distance as far as decent restaurants or stores? The property is, however adjacent to a grimy looking gas station.

So thanks La Quinta, for making my upcoming business meeting today unpleasant because I feel I am not at my best due to lack of sleep and my frustration at your utter lack of professional business practices.

So, business travelers, avoid the headaches I had and book your trip elsewhere. There are a ton of other, more together airport hotels where you won't have to deal with this BS.

Don't let the pretty photos on their website fool you! The place sucks!
Just my opinion, of course.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
ft lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

After being stranded at JFK Airport we were given a hotel voucher to stay at this hotel. We wanted to sleep in the airport but was pleasantly surprised to find a really nice hotel. Bed was the most comfortable bed I ever slept in a hotel. Great free breakfast in the AM.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Meridian, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

We stayed at the La Quinta JFK after flying back from Ireland. Our flight arrived three hours late, and we were ready to get to bed. We took the AirTrain to the hotel shuttle pickup area, and were told that the driver should be there any minute. After 15 minutes, I called again and was told that the driver was headed back to get us. Once we got to the hotel, we checked in and were given a room on the second floor in the furthest room from the elevator. The hotel desk did have some menus for local restaurants, and we ordered pizza and chinese to be delivered to the hotel. (The area around the hotel is a bit dodgy...not safe to be walking around at night in!)

The La Quinta website had advertised that this hotel had pillowtop beds, but they were in fact memory foam beds. I have never slept (or attempted to sleep) on such a rock hard bed before. Our flight left at 7:30am the next morning, and we requested a 6am shuttle, which was prompt. However, the hotel did not have food for the continental breakfast available at that time, not even a granola bar or fruit.

All in all, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites JFK Airport? Share your experiences!