“Best of all worlds” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours, Food & Drink
Ithaca,NY
“Best of all worlds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great concept!! Touring beautiful Cayuga Lake to visit local wineries and a great picnic lunch at a State Park. Good value for a 5 hour trip

Buffalo
8 attraction reviews
“Wine, Water, Lunch, and Scenery; Wow!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Finger Lakes are simply stunning. But at Water to Wine Tours they combine a boat excursion with a visit to three of the lakes best wineries. And a nice lunch is included at a park-line setting. Best of all, the tour is relaxed and plenty of time is available at each winery to browse the different products available, and of course the flights of wine are included as part of the package. This is a must do for those visiting the Finger Lakes.

Geneva New York
12 attraction reviews
“Wail of a time on the Isle of Skye”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Last Monday morning Jane drove me over to my friend Matt’s house down in Geneva and together we headed off to O’Malley’s restaurant located on the western side of Cayuga lake in Interlaken. There, we boarded a small boat called the Isle of Skye for a wine boat tour around the lake. First we were asked to order our lunch box. I ordered a turkey wrap with a side of cucumber and tomato salad and some potato chips. There were 8 guests on board together with Skip (The captain of course) as well as Derrick the Coxswain who navigated the boat.

First stop was to the Sheldrake winery jetty on Cayuga Lake where we walked just a couple of minutes up to the winery itself to partake in a wine tasting. Before setting off for the day I had already decided to purchase 4 bottles of wine from the three wineries that were going to be visiting for the day so I purchased three bottles of whites and a bottle of red. Frankly speaking ,I find the red wines in the Finger Lakes pretty unappealing. They often have no body, no color, and not very good taste compared with wines from California or the new world. I put this down to the fact that we have such a short growing season and that we do not get enough sunshine to be able to produce good quality red wines in the region.

Now I am no wine connoisseur but, I do know what tastes good to my palette and whilst I have indeed tasted some excellent world class red wines produced here in the Finger Lakes, they bottles of wine retail from $40 upwards and I for one am unwilling to pay $40 for a bottle of wine! Anyway, I digress. Next stop on our boat wine tour was a stop at the Long Point State park on Cayuga lake where we sat at a picnic table together as a group and ate our lunch washed down with a glass of Sheldrake Riesling which Matt picked out from the wine cooler at the winery a little while earlier. My whole wheat turkey wrap was excellent although I could only eat half of it with a few potato chips and the small cucumber/ tomato side. The remainder I took back onto the boat to eat later in the day!

Next on to the Long Point winery where an SUV waited to drive us from the jetty up to the winery itself that is located overlooking the lake with its panoramic views. Once again I purchased another four bottles of wine before the group got back into the car and was driven down to the jetty. What was hilarious was that the SUV could only seat 7 people so guess who scrunched up in between seats on the floor for the short journey? Of course, it was me and thank goodness that I am no longer the 275lbs of lard that I was a year ago but now a trim 190lbs!

Back to the boat and a much longer boat voyage up the side of the lake until we got to the Aurora Inn and from there over the Thirsty Owl winery whereby we were driven up the hill in a Kubota RTV from the jetty. Armed with my purchase of a case of wine we then returned to the jetty by O’Malley’s restaurant and this completed our boat wine tour for the day. All in all the tour took five hours and with lunch and wine tastings included cost a mere $85 per person .