“Great find while traveling through on Hwy 88.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The red caboose restaurant and bar

The red caboose restaurant and bar
214 main st, Oneonta, NY
607-267-4966
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 101 Restaurants in Oneonta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Farm to table, fresh, locally sourced food cooked from scratch. Full dining restaurant with high quality food and service. Patio, indoor and bar seating available. Full bar, 20 different beers available. Reservations accepted. Cozy, comfortable & casual, a fitting dining venue for any demographic.
Lancaster, PA
“Great find while traveling through on Hwy 88.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Four of us stopped for lunch while traveling to Lake George, NY. We were never in Oneonta before & we really liked the town. We will make this a stop or destination point in the future. It looks like there are cool shops & very nice to walk around, spend the day.

The Red Caboose is in a really cool old building & it has character. The staff was all friendly, accommodating & attentive. We all had lunch & it was amazing. We liked how they make everything fresh & add a twist to make it unique. I had the fish & chips - really good. My only complaint would be that there are no lunch options, besides salad, for people who can't eat gluten. I am Celiac & cheated to eat the fish - but scraped most of the batter off. I still give them 5 stars! I felt pretty good afterwards despite glutaminating myself!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Delhi, New York
“Great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great lunch! Excellent choice of beer and wine. The steak and cheese sandwich I had for lunch was to die for! Super yum! I'm excited to try it for dinner in the near future!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cold Spring, New York
“A GRATIFYING DINING EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My daughter and i had driven around checking ratings on the IPad and the actual exteriors of restaurants.Some seemed adequate, one appeared to be a movie set for Tobacco Road.We decided that Red Caboose seemed attractive and proceeded to view the menu in the window.It was very inviting.
We were not bowled over by the interior but it was fine and decided to stay.
Our waitress was superb throughout as were other staff of whom we asked a question or two.
Our first course was a delicious Butternut Squash Soup served with apples,ricotta cheese, and a crouton.Served piping hot,which is hard to find in soups these days, we could have licked the bowl.
My entree was an exquisite Still Water Farms Pork Loin,served with Brussel sprouts,herb spaetzle,spiced prunes,bacon and apple butter. Are you drooling? You should be.The pork is served medium rare there, so be aware, if you are like my daughter and cannot take your pork that way. This was a perfect dish.
My daughter had for an entree a "Starter"--Cured Meat & Cheese Board which came with hot sopressata,speck, and copa.This came with spicy walnuts,mostarda and sour cherries.The portions were large.My daughter advised our server that the bread was very ordinary and did not compare with the rest of board.The menu had termed the bread," a warm artisan baguette."
We decided,even though we were stuffed,that we had to try a dessert.This was a great disappointment.We ordered a mini apple pie with gelato to split between us. I did not taste the gelato but mt daughter had a spoon or two and pronounced it delicious.The apple pie was not.The apples were undercooked and the crust was tough and doughy.We sent it back.
When we got our check we noticed that we had been charged $1.00 for bread and butter.That whole concept was incredible but although we had been charged in error we learned that the Red Caboose does indeed charge for bread and butter.They are served upon request.Better, we think, to increase your prices some cents than appear so petty.Our apple pie was removed without question.

I enjoyed my food there very much and would like to taste a lot of other offerings on the menus.Recommended handsomely, BUT--
(NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH)

The bathroom is unisex.There is a urinal as well as a toilet and the paper towels hang right over the urinal.There was no soap when I went in but it had been replaced by my daughter's visit after I mentioned it to a member of the staff. We were so turned off by this bathroom that the next time we go there for a meal we will attend to our sanitary needs in another venue.Ladies will not be happy.

If the food had been average the bathroom would prevent me from returning.The chef beats out the water closet.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, New Jersey
“A Gem in a small town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We got in later than expected and it was raining... We came accross the Red Caboose and were so happy we did. They did not have seating available at a table so we grabbing 2 spots at the bar. The bar tender was friendly, but not intrusive.

DRINKS: well done and excellent. I had my vodka tonic w a splash of St Germaine and my friend had a mojito. Both were tasty and potent!

FOOD: We started with the meat and cheese plate: EXCELLENT. Meats and cheeses were fresh and flavorful. Every element was good; three meats, three cheeses, mini baguette, a pear/mustard jelly, dried cherries, and candied nuts. Loved it! For our main courses my friend had the butternut squash soup w a side of bacon kale. I took bites - delish! I had the wild mushroom gnocchi, which comprises of an excellent (not too starchy) gnocchi emersed in a light cream sauce with a variety of fresh mushrooms - perfect for a rainy day.

AMBIANCE: The place has references to trains, given the name that makes sense! I'm a train lover so points from me for that. The bar top is a sheet of copper, which I think is a nice touch. The tables and chairs are all a simple wood. I believe the floor was a dark tile or slate. From the bar you can watch the open kitchen and see the fresh ingredients used in the meals. Overall comfy, cozy, and casual. We weren't the only folks in our fleeces & hiking pants at the bar. There we some folks dressed up a bit more in the dining area.

I honestly thought we would not have such a tasty excellent dinner in a small town while taking a road trip. This was fantastic.

The bill came to $57 something w/o tip, I don't know if that is reasonable or high for the area but I think it was worth it!

Visited May 2013
Oneonta, New York
“Excellent Drinks, Can't wait to try lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stopped in here for some drinks with friends, and it didn't disappoint. I only had a few beers but my friends had some mixed drinks that looked great. I can't believe I haven't stopped here before, as I live right up the street. One of those places that everyone should try. Next time I'm going to try their lunch menu.

Visited April 2013