“cooperstown parents stay away!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
New York
“cooperstown parents stay away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

We booked our trip 6 months in advance. When we arrived, the hotel had nothing it advertised. The restaurant is closed all the time, no cocktail lounge, workout machines in gym were broken, room was dirty and smelled musty, the pool and jacuzzi were over run by children under 8, with no supervision. The staff is nasty and unhelpful. It was just a nightmare! If you are a parent who has a child that is playing at ALL-star Village, Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday Inn instead. This hotel has nothing it advertises on the internet!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the Holiday Inn!!!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

We needed to find a hotel in Oneonta since my husband was performing with his band at The Foothills Performing Arts Center on Market Street. Most hotels in the area were booked up according to the internet so I called the Clarion directly. I spoke with the front desk manager and she was very respectful, professional and cordial. At first she quoted me a high price, which I told her I really wasn't interested in spending that much. Her response was "I really want you to stay here, what can I do to change your mind?" She proceeded to decrease her price 3 times to give me a triple A rate, which I did not belong to. I told her I would call her back. I continued to call hotels, even as far as an hour away but availability was an issue. Also, I read some reviews of the cheaper hotels and I was horrified. I called The Clarion back the next night and spoke to a different man, but he still honored the woman from the previous phone call's offer. When we arrived there I was greatly pleased that the Arts Center we were scheduled to perform at was in walking distance of the hotel and right accross the street. I was extremely IMPRESSED with this hotel including the cleanliness, decor, service and staff. We had a wonderful clean room with a king bed, a 2person jacuzzi, a refridgerator, a pull out sofa, coffee table (in its own seperate area). It was immaculate and seemed very new. I asked for an additional pillow and they knocked at our door 5 minutes later with pillow in hand. We ate breakfast at the on premises restaurant the next morning. The restaurant was lovely, we sat in our own room that was an actual library. We had the buffet which was a very nice spread, excellent service. The surrounding area was a quaint town in walking distance with nice shops. Overall, it was a wonderful experience which I would definitely recommend and definitely would visit them again!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — try to get a lower rate as their standard rates may be a little high
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2006

I am writing this review watching news reports documenting flooding, deaths, road closures and evacuations in upstate NY. The Baseball Hall of Fame was closed. Yet, when I called the hotel to cancel my reservation 4 days in advance, they refused, sticking with their 7-day cancellation policy. The GM cited sunny weather that day and a hope that the roads and the area would be cleaned up. She also said that she didn't control the Hall of Fame and that she wasn't a weatherman. Because each hotel is franchised, Clarion will assist but cannot do anything to override this abysmal service. Who wants to stay in a hotel that won't change their policies during a state of emergency?

Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

I loved everything about my stay at the Clarion. I was weary of making reservations online since I never had before, but check-in was quick, easy and friendly. The rooms and pool area were very clean and the king size bed and whirlpool tub were a fantastic way to end the day. I defiantly would stay here again and hope to do so in the near future!

• Stayed June 2006
South Holland, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2005

During our trip to Cooperstown we stayed here for two nights, and wish we could have stayed longer! We arrived very late at night, ... my first thought was of concern, since the buildings surrounding it looked a bit shabby & scary in the total darkness. We awoke to find that the back of the hotel actually faces a very nice, old historic shopping district, and that the area is very lovely! We had a huge room, with a giant jacuzzi tub in the bathroom (sure didn't expect that, but it certainly made my trip!!) The room was spotless (except for the windows), and I was pleased with the several "make you feel at home" touches that I noticed (desk drawer full of basic office supplies, hard candies, cotton balls, etc). The pool was on the smaller size, but was just perfect for my young son who loves to swim, but isn't extremely confident in the water. Deepest part is 4 feet. We had a blast! My older son turned on the hottub, which immediately began foaming over the sides, but the desk clerk was there to attend to it before I could even get out to alert him. They must monitor it at the front desk. The staff was wonderful- pleasant and knowledgable, with good attitudes. We made our reservations over the internet, and check in was quick and problem-free. We have stayed at many Choice hotels, and while most of them have been excellent, this one was probably the best. I would definitely stay there again, and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed September 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

We stayed only 1 night at this hotel after a trip to Cooperstown, NY. Hotel is approximately 1/2 hour from Cooperstown. What is very important to me is that it was clean. It looked clean, smelt clean and I am very picky. 2 adults and 2 children shared a king suite which had a pullout twin sofa and we took a rollaway bed for an additional $12.00. The beds were more comfortable than home and the room extremely spacious. There was also a fireplace, jacuzzi, refrigeraton in the room which we did not need, but took the room since we really wanted a non-smoking room and this was all that was available as we booked at the last minute. I would stay here again and recommend it to all. The only thing that I can say negative is that the restaurant was not yet open, but we were told it will be very soon.

West Bloomfield, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

Stayed this hotel a week while our son played ball at the All-Star Village. Room rates are high, but par for the area. Would probably stay again at this location only because there is not much else to choose from in the area and during the summer months rooms are difficult to come by. Hotel is only a few years old, so it was on the cleaner side. It's located in the downtown Oneonta area, but 1/3 of the stores on the main street are vacant.
At check-in time we had to sign saying that we would stay the entire week, which they stuck to and would not let us get out earlier when we tried to.

Hotel does have wireless internet, which we did not find out about until the middle of our stay because when I called prior to our arrival I was told they had dial-up and only a few room were equipt. So much for an informed staff! There is a room called the "Business Center" that has one computer with internet.

Biggest problem we had was the beds. There were actually pieces of wood under the matress to make the beds more firm (I guess that's why they were there). When I brought this up to the front desk they acted surprised and thought I was kidding them. They offered to switch my room but it seems all the rooms had this addition. Room did have a refrigerator, which is needed on an extended stay.

Other parents stayed at the Holiday Inn for about $20/night cheaper, but it was an older hotel and the rooms were musty.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!