“Basic Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
Walnut Creek, California
“Basic Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nothing special, but a nice place. The address is a bit confusing, but we found it. We stayed here to visit The baseball hall of fame. Its about 20 miles from Cooperstown. The hotel was clean and they have a little cafe and a faux bar (meaning no booze). The staff was very nice.
The one elevator they have is very very slow.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for giving us some valuable feedback. We appreciate your time. Any feedback both positive and less than positive is taken seriously.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Port Jefferson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Compared to its competitors, I was very please with the Clarion. We got a whirlpool tub with a very nice room right in downtown Oneonta, for $25 less than any other comparible hotel. I was pleasantly surprised as to how upscale I found this hotel. I thought the best choice in what can be an expensive location to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You, you for the kinds words, we are very proud of our Jacuzzi and Fireplace rooms. And we hope to see you again.
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stopped by without prior reservations and were more than pleasantly surprised at the room, amenities and price. $60 less than the hotel down the street and here we were given a suite with a jacuzzi tub and gas fireplace. Immaculate facility. Small casual restaurant onsite with impeccable service. Friendly and very welcoming staff. Not too far from Cooperstown and worth the drive to enjoy these comforts.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the positive feedback, we appreciate your time and consideration. I will share this with our team.
Green Cove Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The greatest asset of this hotel is its central downtown location. Most of the town's shops and restaurants are within walking distance. The competitors which we considered would require a short drive to downtown.

We chose a fireplace suite which was actually quite large. The corner gas fireplace was actually used by us on a cool September evening. The king bed was comfortable. The windows of the room actually opened several inches to allow some fresh mountain air into the room. The room had a large two-person jacuzzi tub as part of the living room. It is an unusual set up but can be romantic to lounge in the tub and still view the gas fireplace. There was a separate stall shower in the bathroom. There was a mini-fridge in the room but no microwave. The desk staff was quite friendly.

We did have one service failure where we had to ask three times to get fresh towels to our room (remember the Jacuzzi). There is no free breakfast but the on-site restaurant serves breakfast and dinner. We took advantage of neither. An attractive lobby also has a welcoming gas fireplace. There is only one very slow elevator. I don't know what they do when that elevator has to be serviced. I don't know when the hotel was built but is showing signs of wear. The property should be near the top of Clarion's refurbishment list. My wife thought our room smelled musty, but I did not detect it.

If location is key, this choice is hard to beat. If not, consider some alternatives.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We want to thank you you for the positive comments. Guests really love our location and the romantic rooms we can offer. We are looking into the carpet issue with our maintenance team. Hope to see you again down the road.
Manlius, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Newer hotel, rooms are better than many of the Hilton and Doubletree hotels I stay in. Nice comfy bed, TV, desk, couch, bathroom (with whirlpool in most rooms). Pleasant staff. Location is great - sidewalk to Main St. and many dining choices available and within short walking distance.

Best place to stay in Oneonta.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words ! Its wonderful to hear positive feedback. It makes us feel good about what we do on a daily basis. On behalf of myself as well as my team. Thanks to you and hope to see you again down the road.
Utica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel is a hidden jem, set beautifully in the mountains with all the charm of main street America, rooms were great, jacuzzi and a fireplace ...how do you go wrong.

The staff was attentive and professional, Mike, the general manager greeted us personally and was always around with a smile.

food was wonderful and the restaurant charming.

If your going to Oneonta, go there.

Room Tip: Ask for a whirlpool tub and fireplace, its worth the little extra cost
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank You for the kind words and we look forward to having you stay with us again down the road.
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

While vacationing in the northeast part of the country, my husband and I stayed two nights at the Clarion Hotel in Oneonta, NY. The hotel decor, lobby and rooms were extremely clean. The Hotel's front desk staff was pleasant, professional and helpful. We enjoyed our stay. However, after checking out and less than hour an on the road, I discovered that I left my denuim vest on a chair in the hotel room we stayed in. I immediately called the hotel to report it. I spoke to one of the clerks, she informed me that she will contact housekeeping and pass on the information. I was also informed that I will be contacted as soon as that was done. I did not get a call back.So I called back the same day and was informed that housekeeping was gone for the day. "From this morning, did you even check? I got the run around for two days after that and later was told after calling back again, that housekeeping did not find or report finding the vest. To my dismay, I reminded the hotel's front desk clerk that I observed the hotel having cameras in their corridors, and the housekeepers has a process that tracks who cleans the rooms. I also telephoned the hotel before the housekeepers began cleaning.
I will recommend this hotel for others to stay, but keep in mind that there are dishonest people working there.

Room Tip: Keep up with your valuable! Don't trust the staff.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Hello and thank you for the positive comments within your review, we are happy that we were able to return your item. We apologize for the delay, management had to correct this situation due to the fact the item was misplaced in a laundering area. We have reviewed lost and found policies and procedures with our team and appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again in the future - Sincerely, Michael M.

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!