“I expected nothing, got a lot” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Oneonta
Oneonta, New York
3 attraction reviews
“I expected nothing, got a lot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I drove past this place a gazillion times. I never expected anything of this place. in fact, for some reason, I expected this place to be a disappointment. Perhaps it is me, perhaps it is just the fact that this is Oneonta...

anyway, I was delighted with the magical butterflies flying all over the place. I believe this sanctuary was once a built in swimming pool for a mansion. It was filled in, some ponds and trees and beautiful plants added, and VOILA!

besides the ethereal butterfly experience, little secrets emerge from the place... quite accidently, you come across an occasional box turtle walking down one of the paths.... or a chameleon on a branch over head. Exotic birds fly around the canopy of trees, and some small ground birds run about, clearly happy to be alive. the ponds are stocked as you might guess, frogs, turtles, critters galore. It is a jungle experience....

they have a small area of reptiles and other exotica in tanks.... they even have a SLOTH in a cage that is more of a tree puppy. ha!

Outdoors they have an area with other large exotic birds and turtles and such.

yes, I'd go again, and would bring someone special to introduce them to this little piece of paradise. Give yourself an hour and a half, then take your time. if you are in a hurry, you will miss the experience.

Visited November 2011

71 attraction reviews
“Great Place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have been twice in the last two years, and I will probably go again someday. This is a marvelous place.

Visited April 2011
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
29 attraction reviews
“A complete change of pace in a magical place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I've been to several butterfly conservatories so when I found out about this one I made sure to put it high on my list of places to visit. It's very relaxing to watch beautiful butterflies and moths flitting about. However, as great as the butterflies were, I was equally drawn to the wide array of other animals (birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians, even a sloth) that shared the conservatory with the butterflies. Even though it's one big room, it takes time to wander through and discover as much as you can. For me, the highlights were the newly emerged humongous moths with the design of snake heads in their wings, petting a sloth, and watching the large tortise wander about and finding snacks. The place could do a better job in having informational displays about what I was seeing, but that's a minor complaint in an otherwise fabulous experience.

Visited July 2011
Huntingdon, PA
3 attraction reviews
“Nice, quaint place to visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I took my three-year-old son to the Conservatory while in Oneonta on business. I have never been to a butterfly conservatory, so I lack anything to compare it to. That being said, I will share my experience.

There were plenty of plants and animals to enjoy, ranging from exotic birds, reptiles, fish, a sloth, and of course many butterflies. I can remember seeing at least 10 different species of butterflies and the longer I stayed the more I saw (so there were probably more that I didn't see). It was great to enjoy the animals "up colse." The only cages contained the large cranes, the sloth, and some frogs were in an aquarium.

The conservatory was indoors which was nice and there was a bench where you could sit to watch the aminals if you wanted. While we were there a large group of seniors came through and the staff became very engaged in pointing out animals, feeding them for show, moving the tree frogs in the aquarium (since they are naturally noctournal) and petting the sloth so we could see her face (also noctournal).

It was a hot day when we went. We were there in the morning and it was pleasant, but was getting warmer as they day went on. By afternoon I think it may have been almost uncomfortably warm in the Conservatory. Outside there was a garden area with picnic tables that would have been nice for bringing a picnic lunch.

Again, never having been to a butterfly conservatory, I lack a comparison, but I thought the admission price was rather high. I paid $21 for my three-year-old and myself. Looking online this looks higher than the price for the conservatory in Niagara Falls (which is an area where everything is normally twice as expensive as it is elsewhere).

Overall, though, it was worth the price since my son is very into brids and butterflys right now so he really enjoyed the visit.

Visited June 2011
Oneonta, New York
“Fabulous! Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

What a treat to discover this wonderful treasure in a little town! It's impossible not to forget your troubles when you visit this tropical paradise. Besides the butterflys, check out the cool reptiles (gecko, iguana, turtles, and more), sloth, peacocks, and even some exotic insects! The staff is very helpful & will answer all your questions--or leave you alone if you prefer. Gift shop is small but very well stocked. A must!

Visited March 2011