“A nice change of pace” 4 of 5 stars

1322 County Route 29, Olmstedville, NY
518-251-4696
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Owl at Twilight is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Reopened in Dec 2009
Marco Island, Florida
“A nice change of pace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The menu had a good variety of items you probably do not make at home. I had Thai eggplant for an appetizer and Peruvian chicken for the entree. My wife had lobster and shrimp as a n appetizer and duck for an entree. All was very good with a nice presentation.

The dining room is small with nine tables. The waitress was very nice and attentive. Service was prompt.

• Visited August 2014

Carlsbad, California
“A gem, in an unexpected place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Adirondacks isn't where one would expect to find exquisite, creative cuisine, but there it is. The ambiance is simple, spare. Considering the rustic, moldering and shabby milieu of the town, the restaurant is actually rather elegant, yet homey and cozy.

The wait staff of one - Steve - is painstakingly conscientious and warm hearted. The chef, Sue, came out to chat with us. My wife and our friend, who we were visiting at their summer home on Brant Lake, had been here a couple of times over as many years. They discussed the signature desert, chocolate cake with hot chili with Sue.

Our entrees were hangar steak, salmon and duck breast. We shared a mushroom and goat cheese appetizer. I had a salad. All excellent. Sue made roasted strawberry ice cream, and served us each a scoop, since we didn't order it. I guess she had to show off. More like it, she maybe she wanted to show her appreciation for our appreciation, and past patronage, of her wonderful culinary skills. Somehow, the roasted taste of the strawberries was strong and went well with the cream part of the ice cream.

There is the issue of cost, which I see another reviewer noted. Fact is, it's not cheap, and I don't see why it should be, considering what is offered. What makes it expensive is the location: relative to dining costs in the area, it IS costly. But were the Owl At Midnight located in Boston, Nantucket or Manhattan, it would be priced towards the higher end of fine dining, and patrons of such restaurants would find the cost within acceptable range. I figure that it's doubtful that this is an establishment that many locals would patronize. It's there for vacationers and summer folk, and not the ones who are seeking to vacation on the cheap. Does this sound elitist and condescending? I don't mean it in that spirit at all. I'm merely describing the economic values and culinary preferences of various population groups.

RE: the cost of the wines - I don't know what their corkage fee is, but if we had a good bottle of wine, I would have brought it. The one we ordered was a pretty good Pinot, and was $42. In a retail store, that bottle would cost about $17 - 20, so the mark up is about typical. Whenever possible, I always bring my own wines. A corkage fee should never exceed $15 a bottle, according to me. Just in case ya' wanted to know.

Long story short, if you dine here, I sincerely doubt you'll be disappointed. You can be sure that we'll be dining here on future trips to the area.

• Visited July 2014
New York, NY
“Not Worth the Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We ate there a little while ago and everyone raved about it, it is not worth the money. Though the menu is imaginative and certainly alternative the dishes are not universally well prepared. We had a variety of appetizers in varying degrees of quality and consistency with some being very flavorful and artfully presented to others, like the eggplant, being bland, chalky and needlessly complicated. All of our entrees were standard and overcooked. Though the chef does have a knack with the blending of exotic seasonings she cannot moderate the most important element of any dish, the meat itself. The drinks and wine were overpriced and the service was adequate. In summary don't let your desire for something more than the traditional Adirondack fare lead you to an expensive experience that is executed marginally well and seems to be alternative for its own sake.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bogota, Colombia
“Excellent, creative food! Must go if in the area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This tiny little restaurant offers the kind of food you would expect in a NYC restaurant, but with humble and comfortable charm. I highly recommend having dinner here if you visit the area. It's great for a large group or for couples, and definitely save room for dessert. Very creative and delicious! Love, love, love this place.

Visited July 2013
Litchfield, Connecticut
“Fine dining in the middle of the country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Interesting and flavorful menu features dishes with a South American flair, made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Pork entree, which was a special that evening, was exceptionally good. Excellent service -- wait staff was attentive, professional, and courteous. Cozy and comfortable main dining room, although the decor was relatively basic and somewhat uninspired (the glassed-in "garden" room at the back is a more special and visually interesting space). A bit pricey, although the quality of the food and service probably warrant the cost. This restaurant is open only during the summer months.

• Visited August 2013