“Bit disappointed in their tavern food” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 26 Restaurants in Old Forge
Cuisines: American, Continental
Description: Featuring beautiful lakefront views with formal dining. Come enjoy the elegance of a real Adirondack restaurant.
Syracuse, New York
“Bit disappointed in their tavern food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

For my 2nd 'girls getaway' in Old Forge, I went with the tavern at the Northwoods Inn primarily due to the fact that they had a deck overlooking fourth lake. We previously decided to eat at the tavern vs. their restaurant due to the fact that we wanted something light and that ended up being the only choice anyways due to a wedding having been booked at the Inn. Our only choice was to eat on their deck. Again, it would have been our choice anyways due to the view. We all ordered hamburgers and at least 2 out of the 5 ordered were not perpared as ordered. I ordered mine medium rare and it came out well done. The service was a bit lacking as our plates were quickly removed while they still had food remaining on them (our waitress didn't even ask if we were done). Perhaps the quality of the food and the service were impacted by the large wedding party.

I would still give this establishment another chance since their setting is just beautiful. I was so looking forward to enjoying a drink down near the waterfront on their dock. Unfortunately, it was rather windy on the day/time that we were there. Menu looked quite interesting and varied so I anxious to try this place again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great Food and Wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2006

The Lakefront Mountaineer Restaurant at the North Woods Inn in Old Forge is spectacular.

Excellent food selections and specials
Excellent wine and beverage
Excellent service
Beautiful setting

Breakfast and Dinner are the two meals we have had at the hotel over the last several months. Breakfast is great, weekday and weekdnds alike. The buffet is outstanding and the food it excellent, fresh and plentiful. The best part of waking up is the NWI breakfast and great coffee.

Dinner is a pleasure you need to experience. In the evening the dining room is transformed into this cozy feeling oasis where your are the king and queen. The servers pamper you and the food in itself is excellent,but the presentation is beyond anything I have experieced in my worldly travels. The featured selectin of New York State Wines, some that rivial those of Europe, only adds to the pleasure of dining at the hotel. Chef Derrick and his staff are eager to serve you and make evry trip there a wonderful dining experience. For food that melts in your mouth with all the wonderful pleasure of fine dining, don't walk but run to have some great meals at the North Woods.

If you have not been there race on over for your seat. This summer most weekdays we had to wait a bit but with the excellent experience it was more than worth the wait to get in. You will not find many gems like this Inn anywhere, so be sure and rush over and check it out.

They also have a Tavern, where they serve lunch and lighter dinners. We eat there too, and the food is great. Chef Dave is drumming up new winter dishes that are excellent too. Chili and Beef stew in a freshly made bread bowl. Both meals were outstanding too.

When I visit my Adirondack home I mark the North Woods Inn as number one on the list for places to go.

And as if great food were not good enough they have Live entertainment that everyone loves. The big Sexy Shawn Smith, and Mike Notley and Colin Clark's Karaoke is wonderful. Fun is not even the name for a night at the North Woods. You can bring your kids and enjoy a great night of good food and fun entertainment. You must go there.