“Good Lodging Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Old Forge
Lebanon, New Hampshire
“Good Lodging Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I stayed at Northwoods during SnowFest 2012 for a couple of days during the event. I have to say I was very pleased. The rooms were spacious, there was cable TV, The bathrooms, alittle small, had plenty of towels and hot water to go around and were very clean. There was a restaurant/bar on one end of the property, The Tap Room, which had great breakfast and dinner choices and to end the day it was nice to relax and have a few drinks. Also as big advantage to this inn as well was the snowmobile access, both from the lake and across the street making it accessible to downtown Old Forge without the use of my truck. Will definitely stay again!

Tip: We found in the room we were in that there were only 2 2-prong outlets. We ended up having a spare 3-way outlet tap with our equipment that we ended up cutting the ground prong off of to plug in our laptops, cell phones and boot warmers but it is heavily advised to bring a 2-3 prong converter with you as well as a power strip if you will have a lot to plug in.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
northwoodsinn, Front Office Manager at The North Woods Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
We do have a few outlet converters in the office. We'll have to look into improving the outlet situation in rooms, people travel with so many more gadgets now than they used. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, hopefully we'll see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
bethel vt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We recently came to Old Forge New York for a snowmobile demo ride and stayed at Northwoods. The staff was very friendly and easy to deal with. The tap room down stairs had a very good vibe, and very friendly bar tender. Our rooms were clean, and the view was great. Also access to the snowmobile trail was a plus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks Jesse! We hope you and the rest of the riders will be able to come up this summer.
Voorheesville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed at the North Woods Inn three different times this winter. Each time I stayed, I was in a different room. All the rooms I stayed in were very clean and nice. The bathrooms were also very clean and well kept. Showers had plenty of hot water and never ran out. The cleaning staff and the front desk people are very nice and efficient. The North Woods Inn is very snowmobiler friendly, great access to Fourth Lake and trail 5. My son and I ate dinner at the Tap Room bar two times and the meals were very good and reasonably priced. I would like to come back in the summer and stay when the weather is warm and sunny. They have a beautiful location on Fouth Lake. I would recommend the North Woods Inn to anybody I know.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the review! The weather is already warm and sunny, hopefully we'll see you and your son soon!
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

We spent one night at this motel, have stayed in this area at many places. This was very disappointing. Room smelled like mold, mattress sagging, filter dirty in heater,jacuzzi broken, and we were asked to move car from an area unmarked so snow mobiles could park, only to come back and find cars there. Breakfast fine, but went elsewhere for dinner.

The manager did follow up on our complaints, with a note of apology and reduced the room charge. Unfortunately can't get the bad nights sleep fixed. Won't be back.

Stay with Woods Inn or Big Moose.

• Stayed March 2012
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, we make every effort to ensure that the guests are comfortable. I wish that you had come to us when you noticed the jacuzzi wasn't working. It was a simple problem of a fuse blowing and could have been easily solved or we could have moved you to another jacuzzi room. As for the mold, we had four staff members inspect the room in the days following your stay. Not one person found mold in the room or smelled any mold. We even had a guest in the room the night after you and they didn't mention any smell or problems. Sometimes the parking can get confusing in the winter and I'm sorry that you found it to be a hassle to move you car. Sorry that the stay was not up to your liking, but we appreciate your feedback.
Huntington Station, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

this is my third year back for snowmobiling, beautiful location on fourth lake not a snowy winter so you can tell it's been hard economically in the area BUT the same old cob webs in the bathroom behind toilet and shower. hooks on back of bathroom door replaced with a sign stating if you soil a towel or washcloth by working on a snowmble you will be charged $25 for each one. we were also overcharged on credit card and had to go back twice to get fixed and because they fixed it they took off the 10 percent off coupon i used originally. the owners never smiled or said hello or asked how things were. Brian who works at the Taproom is the only plus and they will be lucky if they can keep him. Poor waitresses work 12hour shifts and you can tell how exhasted they are. i liked to go back to a familiar place but will stay someplace else for that price. 424.00 for three nites during feb break

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
I'm sorry that you did not enjoy your latest stay with us. I can assure you that all the rooms are thoroughly cleaned between every guest. If your room was not as clean as you would have liked we would have happily re-cleaned it for you. I apologize if you were offended by the signs in the room. Unfortunately a large number of towels are ruined each year by people using them to clean snowmobiles, the signs are a necessary deterrent. I can promise you that no towel bars or hooks were removed to put them up in the rooms. I'm sorry that there were problems with the charges on your card, it can be quite easy to mistype a number when processing the card so issues can occur. The 10% discount was not removed, because it wasn't applied until after you checked in it showed up as a refund to your card when you checked out. I'm sorry that you were not pleased with the service or your stay. I appreciate the feedback and hope you will consider giving us another chance sometime.
Cicero
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Have stayed at the North Woods several times however, last weekends experience was among the worst. We rent the one bedroom cottage for our family of four.
The heat never got above 50 and it was in the negatives all night. The pull our sofa was dirty with wood shavings and mouse droppings. No blind on one window (this was addressed and taken care of early on). The shower leaked so bad that the water ran all over the floor.
I ended up putting both kids in the bed fully dressed with the few blankets that were availble. My husband and I slept on our own blow up mattress and used two blankets we had in the truck. Slept fully clothed with knit hats on...I have never been so cold in my life and I have snowmobiled in Canada in with tempature below -20.
Left a letter with the key as we loaded up and left as early as possible and have never heard a word from the Northwoods...no sorry or anything. I guess we shall never stay there again.
The other times we stayed were comfortable but the rooms are not the cleanest!
If you move a night stand or look at a base board you may never go back.

On the good side the food is pretty good and the tavern is fun!!! To stay there may remind you of survior...

The other thing to watch is money spent on the rooms...there are no set prices if you talk to others no two room will priced the same. The weekend prior we stayed and paid 130.00 per night for a room with 2 beds. My friends joined us and paid 85.00 for the same type of room and another couple said they got their room for 65.00 So beware of what you pay....

Room Tip: I think the rooms within the main building are the warmest and cleaniest.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
I personally sent this reviewer an apology letter a few days after her stay with us. I'm sorry she felt that she did not get good feedback on the stay, however nobody on the staff was ever informed of any problems from this guest other than a request for a curtain on the living room window. Had we known of the problems we could have easily fixed them all for her and given her an immediate apology instead of a letter after the fact.
The cabin that she stayed in is on a separate heating system for which the guest has complete control over it. If she had told us she was having trouble with the heat we could have helped her adjust it and also provided a space heater for the room.
The housekeepers inspected the pullout after she checked out and did not find any wood shavings or mouse droppings. There was no sign of a mouse ever being in the cabin, and we have not spotted any mice on the property this winter.
The last time the room was used there was no issue with the shower, we did replace the shower head after the reviewer stayed with us.
In regards to the prices, we do have set room prices. However we often run specials on rooms so the price will change if you booked one of those specials. As with all hotels rates vary based on when the room is booked, how many people are in the room, current occupancy of the hotel, etc. It can lead to people having similar rooms with different prices if they booked at different times or took part in a special.
I'm sorry that the reviewer did not enjoy their stay, I just wish she would have informed us that she was not satisfied so we could have helped her.
Newbury, Vermont, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Overall, we did enjoy our stay here, but mostly for the ambience of the old lodge and the setting, with decks above the lake in the trees, and a glorious dock to relax on, in adirondack chairs, as the late night hours approached. We stayed in one of the motel rooms; the motel room itself felt damp, the bathroom was a bit smelly and the entire room had not been thoroughly cleaned and dusted in a long time. What bothered me the most was that the sheets didn't fit the mattress, were too small! Some of the pillows were stained under the pillow cases, so we didn't use those. (yuk) The restaurant was closed on a Monday, but the bar grill food was very good, and we enjoyed eating on the large deck. There was a very nice campfire area, just off from the deck, but we were very disappointed that they did not light it; it had gotten quite chilly and we would have enjoying some time by the fire. This place would be okay if you're not too fussy about the room you stay in; we did look at the rooms in the old lodge the next morning, and they looked nicer. The staff was friendly.

Room Tip: I would prefer a lodge room with lake view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The North Woods Inn? Share your experiences!