“Great Food & Atmosphere!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 27 Restaurants in Old Forge
Cuisines: Barbecue
Boonville, New York
“Great Food & Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Have been to Mountainside 3 times & every time have had a great meal & good service. Also the wine is good!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Norwich, New York
“Small place, big flavors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were staying down the road from the Mountainside and we love barbecue, so we went for dinner. Started with the Chipps--tortilla chips with cheese, black beans, pulled pork, pico de gallo, and fried banana pepper slices. It was a mountain of an appetizer, and we could have easily stopped there, but we did get dinner as well. I had pulled pork, which was wonderful. The corn bread was a bit doughy, but the fries were perfect. My husband had a combo of ribs and brisket, and they were amazing too. The blue cheese cole slaw was an interesting take, and a nice balance to the bbq. There are 3 sauces on the table, labeled hot, mild and sweet, but the mild is really just differently spiced. All 3 were very tasty, and I was glad I didn't have to choose just one. This little hole-in-the-wall is worth seeking out!

• Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“YUM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Some of the best brisket I've ever had.......food was all excellent. Love the atmosphere and portions are huge enough for great left-overs!

Visited October 2012
Michigan
“Worth the stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My family has eaten at the Mountainside 5 times since it opened and have never been disappointed. The price is right. Portions are generous. Staff has always been good. Heading there tonight for our 6th visit!

• Visited August 2012
Oneida, NY
“Some of it was good but disappointed by the BBQ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

First to remark on an earlier review, our waitress was friendly, and met all of our needs promptly.
I have had BBQ across the country and know good ribs. There is a difference of opinion on whether to remove the membrane from the inside. Me I do. They didn't. The best way to tell if the ribs are done is to flex the rack and the ribs should separate on their own. I had to cut mine apart. The ribs weren't done enough, there was good flavor, but not done enough. I also had the brisket. Again the meat wasn't cooked well enough. The two slices were more like slabs. Meat as tough as brisket should be sliced thin. Brisket is tough to buy without a lot of fat, but this one should have been passed by.

Now for the good news. Their cole slaw was amazing. I loved the blue cheese added to it. The baked beans were equally as good. Our table also had pulled pork and the Chipps plate. Both were delicious. The deep fried banana peppers were a nice touch.

I see some real possibility here, but they need to work on the meat. Low and slow!

I will try again when I go by.

• Visited July 2012