“Disappointed in the Palms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms Hotel Fire Island

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocean Beach
The Palms Hotel Fire Island
You added The Palms Hotel Fire Island to your Saves list
168 Cottage Walk, Ocean Beach, Fire Island, NY 11770-0431   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Portland, Oregon
“Disappointed in the Palms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We've been going to Fire Island for years, and were excited about the possibility of a more upscale hotel. The Palms is NOT that place. The service was very poor - accented by people who didn't want to help with bicycles, carry luggage, or provide towels. We stayed in the Chelsea Cottage. There was a speaker attached to the outside wall that played dance/techno/hip-hop all day (from 8 am!) preventing anyone from sleeping in. All of the rooms on one side of the building had no privacy because they faced the courtyard. There was no wireless internet in our room, though it was promised. At $800/night, we ought to have internet. A broken coffee table, chair with a ripped bottom, and air conditioners that sounded like cement mixers topped it off. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the courtyard if you don't want people looking in your room day and night. Sup...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Good location, but much too expensive for inferior property and cramped room. No phone in the room, no closet, bedside table or reading lamp; there was no hot water in the shower;. One of the beds made an extremely loud creaking sound whenever we sat or lay down; the windows faced other buildings and windows that were about 3 feet away; The young staff members were very solicitous and courteous, but they couldn’t improve the poor quality of the facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I love the beach and the whole Fire Island experience. However, The Palms Hotel is overpriced and not worth the stay there. At $440 per night the bungalow room couldn't be smaller with neither a closet or places to hang any clothes properly. At night the lights from the building made you feel like you were sleeping on a broadway stage. There should be shade on the windows that keep the light out. The bathroom has nowhere to keep toiletries. I don't think my toothbrush should go on the toilet tank as this was the only spot to put anything. No glasses, no tissues no shelves for anything. Also, how about a beach print on the wall instead of a female in a corset. I hated looking at that all day. Not impressed at all with this hotel.
So I may love Fire Island but next time I'll stay in a rental home which I'm sure may be more but ill have a place to hang my clothes!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
East Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had a fantastic time at the Palm. I had a wedding at the beach at Maguire's food was amazing !!!
let me tell you about the staff at the Palm Karley made all my reservation got me one of the most beautiful rooms. I hosted a little happy hour before wedding in the courtyard Bobby ken mike Ashley Kerry Daniela Ali Kandell all helped me get it together. I had awesome time I cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Fire Island is a great place to go... no cars, great beach and the Palms is the place to go... Fairly new...the place is very clean, A/C works great and the service here is very accomodating.... On the day you leave, they will store your stuff and you can spend the rest of the day there, and they provide showers and all the chairs, etc for the beach... This is a good one.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I was so looking forward to spending Labor Day weekend at The Palms. We knew the check in time was 4 so we planned on arriving early and having our bags held while we got a bite to eat. We came back to the lobby at 4 and a very rude employee old is our room was not ready because towels were not available. I told her I don't care about towels in would like to go to my room to freshen up. She then started on a rant about how they are having a bad day and they would phone me when my room is ready. No offer of a free cocktail or apology. I felt like telling her I didn't give a crap about the hotel having a bad day when I'm spending $460 a night but I refrained. 15 minutes later we were told our room assignment. Holy sh_t I couldn't believe there's no closet. I wanted to hang a few things and there are no closets in the bungalows first floor. I've stayed in hostels before that were more luxurious. And the cake topper was the blood and hair on my pillow. Thanks palms for a very unhygienic and disappointing stay. I'm so grossed out!

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My girlfriends and I only stayed one night here this year. It certainly isn't inexpensive but if you're willing or able this would be the best place to stay.

The rooms are great! It's comfortable, the kitchen is really nice. The bedrooms themselves are the best. Beds and pillows are so comfy. I had an awesome night's sleep.

The bicycles come with your stay here and we definitely enjoyed that a lot. They don't have a pool but its close to the beach. It's in the heart of Ocean Beach so you won't need to take a bike anywhere or walk far. The boys that help out with your baggage are so helpful. Front desk could use a little more happy juice.

I'm probably never staying anywhere else ever again.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Palms Hotel Fire Island? Share your experiences!