“Does the job” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clegg's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocean Beach
Clegg's Hotel
You added Clegg's Hotel to your Saves list
478 Bayberry Walk, Ocean Beach, Fire Island, NY 11770   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Astoria, New York
“Does the job”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. It's a beach hotel. It does the job just fine, for that. We rented one of the "suites" which basically means you have a bathroom, versus having to share one with your neighbors.

Owner/manager was very nice. And the hotel was in the heart of EVERYTHING.

The room itself was outdated, but clean! If the owner invested some money to upgrade the rooms, it'd be a really nice hotel. But it wasn't bad at all. We used the mini fridge, but nothing else in the kitchenette. There's no alarm clock, radio, or TV. Very simple amenities, but that's all we needed. And the bed is stiff, warning!

If you're hoping for a luxurious stay, this isn't the place. Maybe try The Palms Hotel. But if you just need a bed, clean accommodations, and central to everything in Ocean Beach, Clegg's is a good consideration.

Room Tip: The suites with the bathroom are key if you get up at night or want your privacy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel has both indoor and outdoor moldy, dirty, smelly and tore up carpeting. The rooms are approximately 10x10 and have no bathrooms. The bathrooms are located outside your room where all other guests are sharing. The bathrooms are as old as time, ok well maybe originating back to the 1930. They are not cleaned properly. There are hairs from others in stalls, urine and crap on seats. Definitely not meeting State Health Codes. It barely has a lock too. Guess what? No TV, No radio, No alarm clock, no refrigerator, no head board on this delopitated mattress that is squeaky and uneven. Perhaps some bed bugs, fleas... Itchy heads in the morning. We felt the blood rushing to our heads because the bed was tilted on an 20 degree angle. Cracks along the walls, half spackled walls as well as two toned colored walls. Also, don't leave your stuff in the rooms! The doors can be pick locked, with a butter knife, and the side door is open all of the time, so people could rob you if they wanted.
It's a disgrace the amount of money they ask for a shack. You will get a better deal sleeping on the streets of NYC. So if you want to waste your money, possibly acquire athletes foot if you shower w/o flip flops, or any other possible disease, then this is the place for you. Oh wait, you'll love the Continental Breakfast they serve!!! The array of pastries, fruit, cheese and juices would be delightful if actually served. Enjoy!!!!!
The only advantage to this hotel is Its location. Smack in the middle of town and steps from the ferry, literally. Management was nice, I'll give them that. So if you're looking for a nice place to stay while in Fire Island, look elsewhere then the Cleggs Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Beach hotels

NYC, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Wonderful affordable locale, beautifully situated... one minute from the Bayshore ferry, in the heart of happy Ocean Beach, Fire Island. Perhaps a 12 minute walk to the ocean on your left, and on the right is the bay side for those mooring their boats or those wishing to watch the boats come into the harbor.
Very clean, comfortable room, a/c in every room if needed. Yes, shared bathrooms on the hall (shades of my European backpacking days) but extremely clean (quite UNLIKE those backpacking day!!)
A great place for an ocean stay, staff was very helpful.... with bagels and coffee in the morning, bikes and beach chairs for use at the ready, as part of your stay....it all comes with the room.
True beach minimalist life....a fine stay.

Room Tip: No tv ,,,, but there is wi-fi. Rooms are small but quite adequate. Hey, it's the beautiful Atl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Loucaz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was a little scared to stay at this hotel after reading some of the reviews, but because I knew some of what to expect my experience wasn’t bad at all. The location is great! Less than a minute’s walk from the ferry and smack in the middle of all of the bars, restaurants and shops. There is also a mini market right downstairs. It’s about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the beach, but it’s a relaxing, scenic walk.

Breakfast is served every morning around 9am. Basic coffee, bagels and danishes. I am a tea drinker so the mini market came in handy for me, but not having to go to a restaurant for breakfast was a plus.

Although the bathrooms are shared, they were so much cleaner than I expected. I guess it depends on how the guests, who are also sharing, clean up after themselves; and during my stay everyone was pretty clean.

Like any other hotel, they provide towels, shampoo, conditioner, body wash but there is no fridge in the room.

Some people don’t need television when they are on vacation; I am not one of those people. I like background noise in my downtime. This hotel doesn’t have any televisions in their rooms, BUT they do have free wifi, so if you have an iPhone or any device that picks up wifi, you can create your own background noise.

Because you are near the bars and restaurants, you can hear all of the street noise, but it didn’t bother me at all.

The staff was extremely nice, helpful and friendly, and because I knew what to expect I had a pretty good experience.

Roslyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

How can we complain about three days in fire island at clegg's hotel? I purchased my first groupon, although it was difficult getting through, Steve the gentlemen who answered the phone was efficient and courteous. The accommodations were basic but very clean. Breakfast was a bonus with fresh bagels and coffee. Dont be scared of the shared bathrooms they are always clean and a great way of making friends. Lol .We will definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I bought the Groupon deal last Thursday, booked the room Friday for this coming up Monday the 13th. My husband couldnt get off from work so I called to reschedule. Steven said that Im not allowed to rebook a room, that the reason they take the credit cards is for cancellations that are complete within 10 days of the reservation? 10 days? I booked the room yesterday! After his rant, he proceeded to say 'I'll only do this once, next time I have to charge you. We dont accomadate people who dont call before the 10 days..." I started to speak going on about the fact I only booked the room yesterday... before I knew it I was talking on a dead line. Steven hung up on me. I tried calling back twice the answer machine would pick up and hang up... really? I canceled the Groupon deal, got my money back and I will be doing the same if they try to charge my AMEX.

Islip Terrace, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Great place right in the heart of Ocean Beach. Right next to the docks and in the midst of all the shops, restaurants, etc. We had a lovely, tidy room that shared a common bathroom with other guests. It was clean and well maintained. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel manager, Steve, greeted us and was very nice and accommodating. The place has bikes guests can use and beach chairs. They also have complimentary lemon water and fruit throughout the day and in the morning they provide bagels and pastries for breakfast. Overall the stay was enjoyable and I would certainly go back

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Clegg's Hotel? Share your experiences!