“Clegg's Hotel - Fire Island” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clegg's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocean Beach
Clegg's Hotel
You added Clegg's Hotel to your Saves list
478 Bayberry Walk, Ocean Beach, Fire Island, NY 11770   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Loucaz
“Clegg's Hotel - Fire Island”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was a little scared to stay at this hotel after reading some of the reviews, but because I knew some of what to expect my experience wasn’t bad at all. The location is great! Less than a minute’s walk from the ferry and smack in the middle of all of the bars, restaurants and shops. There is also a mini market right downstairs. It’s about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the beach, but it’s a relaxing, scenic walk.

Breakfast is served every morning around 9am. Basic coffee, bagels and danishes. I am a tea drinker so the mini market came in handy for me, but not having to go to a restaurant for breakfast was a plus.

Although the bathrooms are shared, they were so much cleaner than I expected. I guess it depends on how the guests, who are also sharing, clean up after themselves; and during my stay everyone was pretty clean.

Like any other hotel, they provide towels, shampoo, conditioner, body wash but there is no fridge in the room.

Some people don’t need television when they are on vacation; I am not one of those people. I like background noise in my downtime. This hotel doesn’t have any televisions in their rooms, BUT they do have free wifi, so if you have an iPhone or any device that picks up wifi, you can create your own background noise.

Because you are near the bars and restaurants, you can hear all of the street noise, but it didn’t bother me at all.

The staff was extremely nice, helpful and friendly, and because I knew what to expect I had a pretty good experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Roslyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

How can we complain about three days in fire island at clegg's hotel? I purchased my first groupon, although it was difficult getting through, Steve the gentlemen who answered the phone was efficient and courteous. The accommodations were basic but very clean. Breakfast was a bonus with fresh bagels and coffee. Dont be scared of the shared bathrooms they are always clean and a great way of making friends. Lol .We will definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I bought the Groupon deal last Thursday, booked the room Friday for this coming up Monday the 13th. My husband couldnt get off from work so I called to reschedule. Steven said that Im not allowed to rebook a room, that the reason they take the credit cards is for cancellations that are complete within 10 days of the reservation? 10 days? I booked the room yesterday! After his rant, he proceeded to say 'I'll only do this once, next time I have to charge you. We dont accomadate people who dont call before the 10 days..." I started to speak going on about the fact I only booked the room yesterday... before I knew it I was talking on a dead line. Steven hung up on me. I tried calling back twice the answer machine would pick up and hang up... really? I canceled the Groupon deal, got my money back and I will be doing the same if they try to charge my AMEX.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Beach hotels

Islip Terrace, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Great place right in the heart of Ocean Beach. Right next to the docks and in the midst of all the shops, restaurants, etc. We had a lovely, tidy room that shared a common bathroom with other guests. It was clean and well maintained. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel manager, Steve, greeted us and was very nice and accommodating. The place has bikes guests can use and beach chairs. They also have complimentary lemon water and fruit throughout the day and in the morning they provide bagels and pastries for breakfast. Overall the stay was enjoyable and I would certainly go back

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed here for four nights. Staff very friendly and helpful. I was in a suite which had its own bathroom, sofa, table and chair together with all kitchen amenities. The hotel is clean but needs modernising and a lick of paint. The Island is beautiful and tranquil just what vacations are made for, apart from weekends when it gets busy and becomes a party island. I'd stay again and deffo recommend to others.

Room Tip: The room we had was good as we had fridge, kitchen and sofa. :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The room was very small, the beds extremely basic and the sheets were cheap. The aircon worked sporadically and when it did it was mediocre at best. There was a light in one half of the room which might aswell not have been there as a badly chosen shade hung off it barely giving any light. The room was old and there was a strange smell. The towels were too small and not replaced. There was no amenities provided, not even a hairdryer or an iron. It advertised that there was hbo, however there wasnt even a tv and they had the nerve to leave an envelope requesting tips for housekeeping which shows immediately the class of the place. There was a communal bathroom to be shared by ten rooms I wouldnt have had a problem with that had I not paid 800 dollars for the room!!!! The management were extremely unproffesional and seemed to have no qualms about reneging on their responsibilites to provide a service and were extremely negligent in answering questions. All in all this place was a nightmare, I wouldnt let a dog sleep there. The owners should be ashamed of themselves, shameless and moneygrabbing with no pride in their establishment whatsover.

• Stayed August 2012
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Convenient and comfortable, this no-frills, no non-sense bed and breakfast is located literally in the heart of Ocean Beach.

2 meters from the ferry and 2 blocks from the beach.
Bikes, bagels, and beach chairs all provided -- what else do you need?
Bars, restaurants, markets, tennis all steps away!

If you're looking for 5 star spa accommodations, skip Fire Island -- that's not what this beach bungalow town is about. But if you want to kick back for a low-key weekend at the beach, the Clegg is right up your alley!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Clegg's Hotel? Share your experiences!