“ummmmmm....... no!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Waters Hotel

Blue Waters Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocean Beach
Blue Waters Hotel
Save Saved
You added Blue Waters Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean Beach, Fire Island, NY   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ocean Beach
New York City, New York
“ummmmmm....... no!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

They don't let kid in the hotel. They send people to some bug infested ampatments. When we walked in in smelled terrible. There were plants eating spoiler food off the stove. The apartment was so expensive. It came with bike but you can't use the bikes after four pm. Do yourselves. A favor and DON'T stay there!! No pool or fitness center.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This is my second time visiting Fire Island. This time I chose to stay on the island for 2 nights. I researched The Blue Waters and noticed the mixed reviews. I must say that for the price we were offered for 2nights and 3 days it was great! We payed a total of $400 and everything was included.

-Breakfast
-Bikes, Beach Chairs, Towels, Beach Umbrellas
-Literally less than 30 seconds from the Ferry
-4 minute walk to the beach

Overall I had a great experience, the rooms were small but nice. The staff was attentive and helpfull. The have an outdoor space to sit and drink and just relax. May not be a 5 star hotel, but if you are at the beac all day and eating around the island, notings better than resting at the Blue Waters!

• Stayed August 2012
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

My adult daughter and I stayed one night, mid week. I was thrilled that they would let us stay just one night, rather than having a 2-3 night minimum.
The room was very clean and comfortable. The fee included bikes (shiny and new), beach chairs (super comfortable back-pack style) and umbrella (also new) and towels. It was so nice to show up with just a small tote bag!
There was a common fridge to store leftovers and an ice machine to keep filling my water bottle.
The rooftop deck was beautiful. If you stayed here with a bunch of friends, the deck would be a perfect hang-out spot.
We found the staff during our stay extremely helpful and friendly. Helped us unlock the bikes, gave directions on which way to go, asked each day how the beach was, etc.
The location is very convenient, and although I'm a light sleeper, I did not hear any street noise at all.
I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the second floor, above businesses. Rooms in the back and side are probably qu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

For one weekend each of the past two summers, my friends and I have stayed in the Bay House Apartments, which are owned and managed by the same people as Blue Waters Hotel. (You check in at the hotel when you stay in the apartments.) The accommodations are great - spacious, clean, convenient location. However, the staff is another story. The women at the front desk as unbelievably rude - not just by hospitality industry standards, but by common human decency standards. I wouldn't speak to anyone with the disrespect that they have consistently shown us. My friends and I are not rowdy kids; we are all between 30 and 50 years old, with a bunch of couples in the mix. So, we weren't wrecking the place, and we didn't deserve to be scolded by any means! From check-in to check-out, we were spoken down to, ignored, and reprimanded by the hotel staff. It's really a shame because otherwise I'd have no complaints about this place. But, the women at the front desk are so off-putting that we don't plan on staying here again. As acceptable as the accommodations are, we can't justify paying money to be treated with such unwarranted rudeness on our vacation.

Also, aside from being extremely rude, these women are inept at everything that their job requires - awful customer service is just the tip of the iceberg! When we were setting up the reservation, each time we called we were told that the rooms were different sizes and different prices than we'd been told on the prior call. I asked them to email me to let me know when they received our deposit check in the mail; they refused. At check-in, it took three tries for them to correctly add up the cash that we gave them - and they blamed us for talking to each other and "distracting" them! When we were leaving, they asked us "Did we give you your security deposit back?" Isn't that something that they should know!?! (They had given it to other people in our party, but I was tempted to tell them that they hadn't just to penalize them for their disgusting attitudes.)

I can't imagine that the women at the front desk would act this way if they owned the hotel, so I hope that the owner sees this review and gets a glimpse into how his/her employees are alienating guests and driving away business.

All in all, if you enjoy being treated with any shred of respect, don't book Blue Waters Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manhasset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Before coming to Ocean Beach, with which I am very familiar, I looked into all my options for a weekend stay and after finding the Blue Waters Hotel to be the most reasonable, I was shocked because it was nothing short of perfect for the beach. Fire Island really isn't the place to go on vacation if you're looking to stay at a Ritz Carlton because you come here for a laid-back experience. The room was all we needed for a weekend: clean beds and private bathroom. They didn't come in to clean every morning and when I asked why, they said because they don't go into the rooms unless asked because there aren't any safes in the room which was actually a comforting notion. We really enjoyed our weekend "getaway" from the city and will definitely stay again, especially for that price!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is going to be a two part review.

The hotel: Extremely basic. It makes a super 8 seem luxurious in comparison. I had the pleasure of staying in a nice hotel in NYC the night before for the same price and excellent location, and let me tell you, this place has only the basics--towels, bed, 15 channels, and hand soap. They only clean your room once per stay. While the front desk staff are nice, they are not particularly helpful. I had to ask for everything--what's the internet password? How do I rent a bicycle (they're actually free with the hotel), How do I get to Cherry Grove, etc. Overall, I give the hotel a 1/5.

Ocean Beach: Do not come here if you are childless or under the age of 40. I came here alone to relax, but everywhere I looked, unattended children! This was the wrong fire island for me. This is the "family friendly" part of fire island, and they go to great lengths to separate themselves from the gay/fun end of the island. Such as, making it impossible to get to Cherry Grove or the Pines by bicycle. There is a noticeable lack of information on the 'rest' of the island around. I might have been off, but I sensed a slight anti-gay vibe. The food is mediocre and expensive. But mostly the stuff that matters was spectacular--the weather, the beaches, the quaintness, the lack of motor vehicles, etc. All of which you can find on the other end of the island. I will definitely be back to Fire Island, but it'll be the Pines or Cherry Grove.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Uncomfortable beds, looks like a school or an office building. Rushed us out and tried to charge me an extra $50 for checking out a couple minutes late. Extremely rude and unprofessional, we will never be coming back.

Located right next to the dock with very low rates, yet still no one stays there....now we know why. Stay away.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Blue Waters Hotel? Share your experiences!