“Nice Accommodations, Extremely Rude Staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Waters Hotel

Blue Waters Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocean Beach
Blue Waters Hotel
Save Saved
You added Blue Waters Hotel to your Saves list
Ocean Beach, Fire Island, NY   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Ocean Beach
New York, NY
“Nice Accommodations, Extremely Rude Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

For one weekend each of the past two summers, my friends and I have stayed in the Bay House Apartments, which are owned and managed by the same people as Blue Waters Hotel. (You check in at the hotel when you stay in the apartments.) The accommodations are great - spacious, clean, convenient location. However, the staff is another story. The women at the front desk as unbelievably rude - not just by hospitality industry standards, but by common human decency standards. I wouldn't speak to anyone with the disrespect that they have consistently shown us. My friends and I are not rowdy kids; we are all between 30 and 50 years old, with a bunch of couples in the mix. So, we weren't wrecking the place, and we didn't deserve to be scolded by any means! From check-in to check-out, we were spoken down to, ignored, and reprimanded by the hotel staff. It's really a shame because otherwise I'd have no complaints about this place. But, the women at the front desk are so off-putting that we don't plan on staying here again. As acceptable as the accommodations are, we can't justify paying money to be treated with such unwarranted rudeness on our vacation.

Also, aside from being extremely rude, these women are inept at everything that their job requires - awful customer service is just the tip of the iceberg! When we were setting up the reservation, each time we called we were told that the rooms were different sizes and different prices than we'd been told on the prior call. I asked them to email me to let me know when they received our deposit check in the mail; they refused. At check-in, it took three tries for them to correctly add up the cash that we gave them - and they blamed us for talking to each other and "distracting" them! When we were leaving, they asked us "Did we give you your security deposit back?" Isn't that something that they should know!?! (They had given it to other people in our party, but I was tempted to tell them that they hadn't just to penalize them for their disgusting attitudes.)

I can't imagine that the women at the front desk would act this way if they owned the hotel, so I hope that the owner sees this review and gets a glimpse into how his/her employees are alienating guests and driving away business.

All in all, if you enjoy being treated with any shred of respect, don't book Blue Waters Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manhasset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Before coming to Ocean Beach, with which I am very familiar, I looked into all my options for a weekend stay and after finding the Blue Waters Hotel to be the most reasonable, I was shocked because it was nothing short of perfect for the beach. Fire Island really isn't the place to go on vacation if you're looking to stay at a Ritz Carlton because you come here for a laid-back experience. The room was all we needed for a weekend: clean beds and private bathroom. They didn't come in to clean every morning and when I asked why, they said because they don't go into the rooms unless asked because there aren't any safes in the room which was actually a comforting notion. We really enjoyed our weekend "getaway" from the city and will definitely stay again, especially for that price!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is going to be a two part review.

The hotel: Extremely basic. It makes a super 8 seem luxurious in comparison. I had the pleasure of staying in a nice hotel in NYC the night before for the same price and excellent location, and let me tell you, this place has only the basics--towels, bed, 15 channels, and hand soap. They only clean your room once per stay. While the front desk staff are nice, they are not particularly helpful. I had to ask for everything--what's the internet password? How do I rent a bicycle (they're actually free with the hotel), How do I get to Cherry Grove, etc. Overall, I give the hotel a 1/5.

Ocean Beach: Do not come here if you are childless or under the age of 40. I came here alone to relax, but everywhere I looked, unattended children! This was the wrong fire island for me. This is the "family friendly" part of fire island, and they go to great lengths to separate themselves from the gay/fun end of the island. Such as, making it impossible to get to Cherry Grove or the Pines by bicycle. There is a noticeable lack of information on the 'rest' of the island around. I might have been off, but I sensed a slight anti-gay vibe. The food is mediocre and expensive. But mostly the stuff that matters was spectacular--the weather, the beaches, the quaintness, the lack of motor vehicles, etc. All of which you can find on the other end of the island. I will definitely be back to Fire Island, but it'll be the Pines or Cherry Grove.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Uncomfortable beds, looks like a school or an office building. Rushed us out and tried to charge me an extra $50 for checking out a couple minutes late. Extremely rude and unprofessional, we will never be coming back.

Located right next to the dock with very low rates, yet still no one stays there....now we know why. Stay away.

• Stayed June 2012
Glen Cove, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

my wife and i stayed at the the blue waters hotel last week and just thought i had to write a review because we had such a great experience! i loved that they gave us chairs for the beach and bikes to use to explore the island. the rooms were very clean and the staff was very nice and accommodating. i will definitely stay at the blue waters hotel again! one thing i would recommend is to book in advance because we would have preferred to stay on the weekend but they were booked for the summer and maybe to request a room off the street because of the noise from the late night bar-goers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manhasset, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I just recently stayed at the Blue Waters Hotel. We received warm service by the girls behind the desk and a very clean, cozy room. The room was perfect for a 2-night stay at the beach. The hotel gives out beach chairs, towels and beach bikes which was great! We had a very pleasant experience at this hotel and would definitely reccommend it to our friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
elmwood park, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

The experience was nothing short of wonderful.The staff treated us like we were the only ones staying there. They answered all of our questions and made the whole experience worth coming from nj. I would highly recommend everyone staying at the Blue Waters as the staff is extrmeely helpful and knowledgeable of the island. As far as the rates go, they are as competitive as the island allows -- we stayed one week and cannot believe how inexpensive the cost was compared to other hotels there. The cleansiness in addition was excellent. They sure do take pride in making patrons welcome. I already book 2012 again.

Room Tip: Just tell the staff what you are looking for and they will steer you in the right direction.