“Going back for yrs!!!!!!!!!! and will do in the future” 5 of 5 stars

Fire Island Hotel and Resort
25 Cayuga Walk, Ocean Bay Park, Ocean Beach, Fire Island, NY 11770   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ocean Beach
New York City, New York
“Going back for yrs!!!!!!!!!! and will do in the future”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

The resort has become tradition great location steps from the beach . But with its own pool, great bar and food. Where when you go back the staff now knows your name.
The mangement is great ! Will keep going back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

The title has a lot to due with the way I review the hotel, and I personally think it somewhat explains some of the negative reviews the hotel has gotten. Speaking of accomodations and restaurants in Western Fire Island 10 years ago...unless you could afford high end home rentals... forget about Hamptons Chic. Air conditioning was a rare option, as were private bathrooms. Restaurants with few exceptions were mediocore at best. That has changed over the past couple of years. Many restaurants have clearly stepped it up a notch or two, and there are two new hotels in Ocean Beach (the F.I. Hotel is 1.5miles east in Ocean Bay Park ) that seem to cater to the more upscale. The other older establishments, while being reputable, still lag behind in the 100% private bathroom category. But hey, singles, couples who know live, and love Fire Island...they've worked for many years and still do. But for the average Joe with the wife and kids.....
Then we have the F.I. Hotel. Stones throw (literally) to the beach, decent built in pool wit h an oh so convenient tiki bar and (decent) restaurant right by its side. The hotel has accomodations ranging from hotel rooms to larger apartments, suites and cabins. All are air conditioned. We had one of the older cabins. It would be very easy to rip the place to shreds ratings wise if you expected Hamptons Chic. But with 4 kids, you're almost glad not to get Hamptons chic ! It's classic old Fire Island. Aged and with high mileage, but everything was clean and worked. Whatever was lacking, the staff was there to get it for you. Let's face it, you're not there to spend the day in the room. Hopefully you're blessed with good weather like us, and let the beach, pool and tiki bar do the rest.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Southold, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. But NOTHING could prepare me for this...the pictures tell the story. Where to begin? Here are the FACTS...

Be prepared...when arriving off the ferry, the golf cart will take your bags, but no passengers. They do not lock your bags up when they take them back to the hotel. They remain out in the lobby.

We stayed in the poolside bungalow, outside the pool, first one off the walk from the main lobby. Look at the pictures. I cannot make this up. Things to notice...

Mold ALL over the bathroom.

FILTHY kitchen and floor.

BUGS in the light fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom.

When asked the front desk to please have someone come and, at minimum, vacuum the place, they showed up with an Oreck that was held together with zip ties and a plastic bag (see the pics!). Obvious why it looked like it hasn't been cleaned since 1972.

Problem with the tub being clogged. Asked front desk to send someone. The young kid at the front desk said no one was on site, since it was afterhours, no owner present either. He came with a coathanger. Really??

Those were the facts...here's my opinion. I cannot express how flithy and disgusting this place is. Someone needs to set a match to this place and start over.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
FIHR, Owner at Fire Island Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Thank you for the review. There are 50 hotel rooms/units in our small compound and 4 units are self contianed cabins with full kitchens, and only 2 of them have been fully renovated. Only 2 units in our property remain unrenovated, one of which you occupied. We have been awaiting permits to do upgrade these units for a long time and do not have them yet. Due to the full kitchen, these units are in highest demand. In fact they have the highest occupancy of all our rooms. I ask my mgmt to let customers know what these units are like prior to staying, but people do have ideas of there own and then can be disappointed. Several poor reviews are based on customers staying in these 2 units.
In any event, your review has hit home and we have cleaned these units up to the extent we can without buldozing them and rebuilding them, and management has been advised to properly advise both customers on these units and further better train employees for better customer service.
Lastly, in 2011 we have gone through a room upgrade (exclusive of these cabins-they need more than just an upgrade) and have redecorated, added better electronics and upgraded linens. If you choose to be on Fire Island again, I hope you could stay with us again and advise us how we have improved.

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Beach hotels

Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Enjoyed my 3 night 4 day trip to Ocean Bay Park. The Fire Island Hotel was very accommodating ! Their employees were very nice. The cost of the trip was fair considering the cost of renting a house. Everything we needed was in walking distance. Loved this trip and look forward to another 3 night/4 day trip at the end of the summer enjoying their hotel. Perfect for kids when the waves are to much.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

What a terrible experience! We were happy to book the room as they allowed us a one night stay -- where most other hotels required 2 nights. We paid $375 for the room for the night and I have never felt so ripped off! The room was large enough -- there were 4 of us -- but that was it. There was a terrible smell of mold and urine when we arrived. I complained and they did send someone to clean the bathrooms -- which helped a bit. We had a Jr Suite....the bedroom had two doubles, but no lamp between the beds, no clock, no chair. There was a microwave, blender & coffee maker, but no cups, or any kitchenware! The bathrooms had no towel racks or hooks in one, and only one towel rack in the other. So no place to put your clothes when you showered. And, there were no bathmats or handtowels -- only very rough and small bathtowels. Outside there were chairs and a table, but we needed to wipe the chairs off to use them. The location was fine for us -- a quiet part of the island, but if you are with kids that want to shop, buy ice cream, etc the shops are all about a 15 - 20 minute walk. Might also ask location of room. Our room faced the "tent" and we felt lucky that the party ended at 7...if it had been a late night wedding we would have had an impossible time sleeping. Hotel is close to the beach....and that was lovely. The manager did give me a small refund as I was so outraged. BEWARE you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It has been some time, but we have listened to our customers and upgraded our rooms for the 2011 season. We have included new decor, wall hangings, lighting in many cases, electronics, ceiling fans (although all units are air conditioned anyway), upgraded linens and even added hooks in the bathrooms (at your request). Our property is over 100 years old now and we continue to try and keep up with it. It is a pretty daunting task, but we do try. If you are at Fire Isalnd again, we ask you to give a second try and maybe you will be more satisfied next go around. Thank you again for your review as we learn as we are going along and thank you for staying with us.
Long Island,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

This is not a luxury hotel.....but it is NICE and laid back. ....No cars, lots of bikes and leisurely walking. The ocean is footsteps away....the bay yards away. ....plus a pool for those who like neither! Happy hour overlooking the bay..dinner watching the sun set.........ahhh! My favorite place close to home that feels far away form it all.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I would call it "The Most Magical Place on Earth"-but I believe that phrase belongs to a much bigger franchise.

Inexpensive, it is not, and I would love to hear of a place on Fire Island that is! (Short season, high overhead-good luck!) As a matter of fact - Montauk, Lake George, Myrtle Beach, Ocean City? Cheap-I think not!

Fire Island is a beach community of Days Gone By - There are no Hyatts, there are no amusement parks, no Mc Donald's-but- there is virtually no crime , and there are no cars in season. I find it breathtaking no matter how many times I visit.

The Fire Island Hotel is an old time structure that maintains the ambiance of Days Gone By. Luxurious? It is the beach. But beautiful none the less.

But cleanliness, that is a whole different story! I have stayed at this hotel approximately 25+ times in the last 10 years. I have never been bitten by any sort of critter in the rooms. If I was ever not satisfied with the cleanliness-I cannot remember. I do once remember needing to borrow one of their Oreck Vacuums because the kids tracked in sand. The desk offered to send someone to take care of it for me-but it seemed silly as these folks are always so busy taking care of the steady flow of guests that are always coming and going, I could handle the vacuum.

I entertained 35+ people at the hotel last year for my husband's retirement party. People still rave about the food, the staff, and the overall impression of the hotel and it's magic. My husband maintains it was one of the best days of his life. And the 10+ children can't wait to be old enough to return on their own, and start their own Fire Island Hotel Traditions.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Fire Island Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!