“Worst night sleep ever” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ocean Beach
new york
“Worst night sleep ever”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

For $400/night I expected more than an old plastic mattress that I could feel the springs through. That coupled with the light that was outside the door that shined into the room all night led to a negligable amount of sleep. The shower floor had odd brown and blue stains on it and they gave the smallest soap bars I have ever seen outside of a doll house. My expectations were low when I booked it but this really was lower than what I imagined.

• Stayed September 2013
FIHR, Owner at Fire Island Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
We are sorry you felt inconvenienced. 2013 was a year of upheaval for us, trying to work out and repair damages and large kinks from Sandy. We limped in 2013 and hadn't got all the reparations done that were planned, but finally in 2014 felt we are operating at a more normal condition with repairs and Sandy behind us. Noted are that all four cottages were fully renovated (2 were demolished and rebuilt new and 2 were fully repaired) prior to our 2014 opening. It took us 2 years, but the permit process and actually rebuilding on FI is rather cumbersome. In addition, almost all our mechanical systems including our hot water sytems, laundry facilities, telephone systems, wiring, many HVAC's all needed replacement after Sandy. It was kind of daunting. Anyway, in addition to these repairs, the entire faciltiy recieved new mostly private decks to all rooms, all buildings received fresh coats of paint, and many room interiors were upgraded. Although only 50% of the bedding was replaced in 2014 with much better quality Serta matresses, the balance will be done by 2015. Overall we feel that we are a differnt/much better facility after these upgrades and hope you would consider trying us out again. Best regard. ERE-FIHR

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Morganville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel for 4 night this summer (2013) and although the rooms aren't luxury rooms they are just fine. a little on the small side so if your going with a big group I would book the bigger room. The staff is great everyone was so friendly and accommodating. I staying in the pool area and Tiki bar a lot the food and drinks here are good as well. We went out at night to Ocean Beach witch is a little more than a mile walk (or water taxi) away. there is also Flynn's right down the street and sooners not to far from there if you are into the night life like I was. I loved my stay here and wished I could have stayed longer! I will definitely be back next year!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island, Ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I went to Fire Island last summer (2012) for one night for my birthday. I had to choose September 2012 because August was not listed as an option, but we went last August.
I am hoping to go again this year! Since we live on the south shore of Long Island, it was an easy, fun trip to get there...the parking is a bit expensive but I loved the ferry experience. And once on Fire Island, well, I was in love with the island!!
So relaxing and beautiful...and deer come to greet you! I love "no cars" and just strolling from place to place. The Fire Island Hotel & Resort is definitely not fancy but that said, it was everything we needed for the night. The location cannot be beat. The drinks at the poolside bar were yummy...my only regret is not staying more than one night. The room was small but clean...no complaints!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Old is usually just fine. And, understandably, it must be hard to care for ocean side property with a constant risk of mold.... But this hotel showed absolutely ZERO effort in the upkeep or cleanliness. The bathroom was dirty; the kitchenette stove burners were wrapped in grimy aluminum foil; the molding was held up with duck tape; the carpet was stained; the whole suite (with friends, we had a two bedroom) smelled of mold. The bed was.... Well, I slept in my clothes. As for the rest of the property, it needs paint; someone to pick up cigarette butts and bottle caps; and throw out debris left around. (For example, there was a broken cooler filled with garbage on our side deck.) The pool looked clean although we did not use it. The staff was nice, particularly the young men who assisted us with our luggage to/ from the ferry dock. Overall, we left a day early, without a refund.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
We are sorry you felt inconvenienced and sorry that it has taken me such a long toime to respond. 2013 was a year of upheaval for us, trying to work out and repair damages and large kinks from Sandy. We limped along in 2013 and hadn't got all the reparations done that were planned, but finally in 2014 felt we are operating at a more normal condition with repairs and Sandy behind us. Noted are that all four cottages were fully renovated (2 were demolished and rebuilt new and 2 were fully repaired) prior to our 2014 opening. It took us 2 years, but the permit process and actually rebuilding on FI is rather cumbersome. In addition, almost all our mechanical systems including our hot water sytems, laundry facilities, telephone systems, wiring, many HVAC's all needed replacement after Sandy. It was kind of daunting. Anyway, in addition to these repairs, the entire faciltiy recieved new (mostly private) decks to all rooms, all buildings received fresh coats of paint, and many room interiors were upgraded. Although only 50% of the bedding was replaced in 2014, the balance will be done by 2015. We furhter added security gates and cameras for guests feel more secure (not that it is needed-we largely added the gates to keep out the deer so we can landscape the property next year and the deer then cant eat all the plants). As far as the brown stains in the bathroom floor-this is my worst issue as this I am told is rust from Iron in boththe water and the marble tiling that I chose and I cant get it out. Truly a bumer as it was beautiful when it was installed and will need replacement. It isnt a "cleaning" issue, although it can be perceived that way. Exclusive of that, we feel that we are a differnt/much better facility after the upgrades and hope you would consider trying us out again. Best regard. ERE-FIHR

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Beach hotels

Mineola, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days and two nights. When we saw some of the reviews, we were a bit worried about our reservations but we did not have to be. It is not a luxary hotel with amazing amenities but we enjoyed staying here. The room we stayed in was not special but it was fine. It was clean -- I saw some of the comments on sheets and such but we did not see the cleanliness of the room as an issue. The sheets were not Egyptian cotten but fine especially for a beach place. The bathroom was nothing special but it was clean. The room was small but it had an outside deck with a table and chairs that we could have used if it hadn't rained. That would have given us more room to hang out. We were in a studio which had a murphy bed (a bit weird) but it was actually pretty comfortable. It was nice having a bit of a kitchen The kitchen area in the studio room we stayed in was small but the fridge although old worked well and there was a microwave. Next time we would probably go for a normal motel room though for more room. The hotel also seemed pretty focused on an 11:00 pm quiet hour so I am not sure where the comments are coming from about all night partying. The hotel had a small bar/restaurant (with a limited menu) but it was nice to have it right there and it was convenient. The food was actually pretty good for bar type food but does not serve breakfast. The hotel lobby serves coffee, muffins and bagels but as a tip, there is the Schooner deli and Pizza about a 7 minute walk away that serves a great egg sandwhich. We were also able to have food and drinks poolside which is nice. The pool is not huge but having a pool is really convenient especially when coming off of the beach. And man, the hotel is super close to the beach which is really nice (and unlike Ocean Beach, you can have food and drink on the beach and play games). For families though, note there are no life guards. The hotel was also nice about late checkout (Noon) and holding our luggage on the day we were checking out so we could enjoy the beach. If you like high end hotels with super attentive service and everything just so, this is not the place for you. If you are a bit more flexible and looking for a reasonable place (although a bit old) in order to enjoy the beach, give this place a try and I think you will like it.

Room Tip: the studio rooms are pretty small and realy couldn't hold morethan 2 people. Go for the Ocean v...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ronkonkoma, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

newly renovated last year everything looked great even after Hurricane Sandy We arrived early the staff amazing they met us at ferry brought all our luggage (ALOT) to hotel for us and secured it until our room was ready so we could enjoy the beautiful beach pool and delicious frozen drinks while waiting for it to be cleaned. They brought everything upstairs for us when room ready and back to ferry after our stay. They were so friendly and accommodating room was clean nice size marble bathroom perfect location steps from the ocean bar/restaurant and food. all rooms have a nice deck we were upstairs in a corner suite with table n chairs so had a lovely view as well on way to beach is a nice seating area with a fire pit

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The location is great, you're near the beach and 5 minutes from the ferry, the staff is great, that's where the compliments end! It is the grossest dump I've ever stayed at. The room had a mattress as thin as a foldable sofa mattress, it was low to the ground, the sheets were cheap and it was uncomfortable. It was the type of bed you want to sleep in with your clothes on. The hotel is old looking, paint peeling, in bad condition. It looks like a property where they are trying to get every dollar out of it without putting one in. They will continue to get business because fire island has limited hotels and they capitalize on that. I paid over $400 for a room that looked like an hourly rate room in a ghetto. I'm BAFFLED by any review over 2 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are sorry you felt inconvenienced and sorry that it has taken me such a long time to respond. 2013 was a year of upheaval for us, trying to work out and repair damages and large kinks from Sandy. We limped along in 2013 and hadn't got all the reparations done that were planned, but finally in 2014 felt we are operating at a more normal condition with repairs and Sandy behind us. Noted are that all four cottages were fully renovated (2 were demolished and rebuilt new and 2 were fully repaired) prior to our 2014 opening. It took us 2 years, but the permit process and actually rebuilding on FI is rather cumbersome. In addition, almost all our mechanical systems including our hot water sytems, laundry facilities, telephone systems, refrigeration and wiring (all largely located in a basement were completely flooded), and many HVAC's needed replacement after Sandy. It was kind of daunting. Anyway, in addition to these repairs, the entire faciltiy recieved new (mostly private) decks to all rooms, all buildings received fresh coats of paint, and many room interiors were upgraded. Although only 50% of the bedding was replaced in 2014, the balance will be done by 2015. We further added security gates and cameras for guests feel more secure (not that it is needed-we largely added the gates to keep out the deer so we can landscape the property next year and the deer then cant eat all the plants). We also added outdoor adirondack chairs on outside decks for all rooms so guests can relax more on site. Anyway, we feel that we are a different/much better facility after reparation in 2013/14 the upgrades and hope you would consider trying us out again. Thank you for letting us know your assessment. Best regards. ERE-FIHR

Been to Fire Island Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!