“Good Holiday” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Ocean Beach
Centereach
“Good Holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here from July 3-4, the price was good for a midweek holiday. The rooms are small, we had 2 couples in a DBL DBL. There was no ipod dock, like the website says, but we really werent in the room enough to mind. Overall the service was good, they picked our bags up right from the ferry, and were very quick when we requested more shampoo and towels. It was a good experience, I plan on staying at this hoitle again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I Cannot imagine staying a worst hotel!! Any one saying this place is great is an employe of the hotel or so drunk they don't remember their stay!! The warning should have been having to pay in advance before seeing the room. We were told the room was recently renovated, RENOVATED? more like recently flooded the wallpaper was from 1984 and I have seen better furniture on the side of the street. Even the pictures on the wall were broken. stove was rusting out, dishes were left for us dirty in the half dismantled dishwasher a plethora of cigarette butts littered the deck and the floor in the bathroom was broken as in "I might fall through the floor here where this crack in the tile is". As for the pool I have never seen one so cloudy from sun screen as well as large clumps of hair floating by. As soon as i figured out my daughter was starting to smell from the water I got out ASAP! I am just hoping my children's shots are up to date! I cannot believe any of these good reviews are real. they did not stay at the same hotel i did. a motel 6 looks like the ritz compared to this place STAY AWAY.

Room Tip: Cabin C "one of the most expensive and Renovated?" = nightmare
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ocean Beach hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have no idea what everyone is complaining about? You are staying at a Fire Island beach resort that is authentic Fire Island. If you want to go to Cancun or to a "Sandals" like contrived resort knock yourselves out but it is like comparing apples to like anything plastic and fake. If you are looking to stay like real fire islanders stay and enjoy everything that FI has to offer the Fire Island Hotel is the best. For the record we have been there a few times this summer and last summer and I can guarantee that the pool is clean and well maintained. The lounge chairs are always clean and the bar makes great drinks. The feeling we get from it is like staying at a beach cottage! We love it! As far as kids we see on average 3/4 kids at a time MAX and we have been there over holiday weekends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I recently spent a WE here with my wife and 4-year old daughter. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff, headed by Pat, were very friendly and helpful. Being the only hotel with a swimming pool is a huge plus for young children for whom the Ocean is still too daunting. The location is perfect, right by the beach. Looking at previous reviews which complained about the price, it should be noted that accommodations in Fire Island are typically expensive due to the location. Furthermore, the hotel doesn't market itself or claim to be a 5 star resort but rather a laid back and friendly place for a nice beach holiday. I personally also appreciated the fact that the hotel is located away from the bars and noisy nightlife while just a 5mn walk from nice restaurants. Overall, I would highly recommend the Fire Island hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Babylon, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you are expecting a five-star luxury resort, you are undoubtedly going to be disappointed. However, if you are looking to spend a weekend at the beach and have a good time, this is the place to be.

Is it expensive? Sure, but keep in mind they only have four months a year to make money. Everything on Fire Island is "expensive", but their prices are on par with other places on the island. If you owned a hotel at the beach, with a pool, you would probably skimp on the linens if people were using them outside of the room too. If you don't care for seeing the young staff out after work, might I suggest you remove your nose from the air and have another drink? The island is a quarter of a mile wide, and there's only so many places to hang out.

They have done extensive renovations over the last few years, including the lobby and Hurricane's, and I have never had a problem with anything that wasn't resolved quickly. The hotel is close to the beach, has a bar on site, and is located far enough from the ferry dock and the other bars for peace and quiet at night. Personally, I didn't spend much time in the room but I found everything to be perfectly clean and comfortable.

I went with a group of my girlfriends and we had great weather and a great time. We are considering making this a yearly trip for sure!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Wow!! I had never been to Fire Island and I went with my wife and 11 year old son. From the time I got onto the Ferry till I got back on the Ferry to leave it was amazing. The hotel sends a golf cart to pick up your luggage and then it is a 7-10 minute walk to the hotel. You are greeted by friendly staff in the lobby and immediately start to feel the charm of this place. The pool is perfect and the restaurant, Hurricanes, provides poolside drinks and food. Mello music is played at the pool on the bar entertainment system and there was also live acoustic guitar music both afternoons that I was there. The rooms were extremely nice (AC, flat screen TV, IPOD dock, kitchen and new bathroom,) I even had a baseball catch with my son on the great lawn they use for weddings (there was no wedding going on so it was OK.) Did I mention it was a 1 minute walk to the one of the nicest beaches I have ever seen?

I will definately be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was the motel from he--. It was an overpriced dump. If you like the smell of mold, mildew, cat pi-- and moth balls, no TV, blinds on windows that were broken, no handles, shower doors not working, no place for soap/shampoo in shower. No hair dryer, no phone in room. That is just some of the highlights, then if you complain, you get threatened by their pit bull owner/bully/bouncer to throw you out of the motel and put you on the last ferry back to the mainland. We were there for a wedding and we didn't want to share our experience with them, the rest of our friends that were staying there, were having the same problems. We were basically held hostage. No place to go. Never again, definitely not worth $600.00 for 2 nights. In fact they should be paying us to be there, just to make it look like they were busy. I felt really bad for the kids that worked there, they were sweet, I don't think they knew what they were getting into when they took the job for the summer.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, pack a tent and sleep on the beach.
Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fire Island Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!