“Great place to ski” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
NY
“Great place to ski”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

I am not a professional skier - far from it actually. I had raced at Lapland Lake many times when I was in high school and always had a great experience. Ann and Olavi - the owners - were always very accommodating, and I have gone back many times on my own or with groups of friends to ski. The trails offer a wide variety of difficulty and you can spend an entire day there without skiing them all. I continue to go back for the homey feel, great service, superbly maintained trails, and always have a good time.

Altamont, NY
“30 miles of well groomed trails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

My wife and I have been skiing at Lapland for about 7 years. The trails are wide and well maintained. The beginner trails near the lake can get crowded on the weekends, but if you ski a few kilometers out, you'll have the trails to yourself, even on a holiday weekend.
They get some of the lake effect snow and the condition reports are always accurate.Most of the trails are through dense woods, so even on cold windy days you can ski comfortably.
We also like Mt Van Hovenberg near Lake Placid, but the snow is more consistent at Laplland.

NYC
“Small, homey and high quality nature experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

I've been to Lapland Lake for the past two winters. My experiences have been great both for on-site lodging and off-site or day trips. The lodge, the staff and owners, the lessons, the accurate daily and weekly snow conditions reports and trail grooming are all top-notch. On-site overnight stays in the trailside cabins with wood-burning stoves are quiet, rustic, quaint. Overnight guests have access to the wonderful Finnish wood-burning sauna experience. It is great to have the opportunity to ski, come in and take a nap, eat, ski again, sauna, and then go out night skiing. The solitude of living in the woods (some may say isolation) is a far cry from our current rush, rush, technology driven culture.......and is very regenerating.

Harrisburg, PA
12 attraction reviews
“Great cross country skiing and snowshoeing at Lapland Lake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

Great place for a day trip or to spend several nights. We spent 4 nights in a tupa (cottage) at Lapland Lake and can't wait to return. Olavi grooms the trails to perfection. There are trails for every level of skier. We cross country skiied in the morning and snowshoed in the afternoon. There is a cute restaurant for lunch. You can use the Finnish sauna if you spend the night there. It was the most peacful yet exhilarating, trip I have ever taken.

NY,NY
“Best cross country skiing resort anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

Lapland Lake is one of our favorite vacation places. We've been there about 15 times, usually, but not always, for skiing. It is absolutely gorgeous, serene, peaceful, and convenient. You can ski right from your cabin, so you never have to drive anywhere during your stay. The privacy of having your own cottage is hard to beat. There is a restaurant, so you don't have to cook if you don't want to, but we mostly cook the groceries we bring from home. The kitchens are well-appointed. The night-time skiing is an extra perk - we love getting to ski after dinner.