“Avoid it if possible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Fira
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
“Avoid it if possible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

When I arrived in Santorini I saw a big sign for free island maps, when I went to collect one I was confronted by a very pushy man who offered me a room in Kamari for 50€ per night. I told him I was looking for a place for 15€ and he said that's ok they could do it for that price. He then loaded my stuff in a car and told me he was taking me there. On the way he changed his mind and would droop me at his hotel in Fira because he didn't actually have one in Kamari. I paid cash for two nights and didn't get a receipt. Then after the first night he tried to kick me out saying I had only paid one night. The room was nice but the wifi only worked outside on the steps. There is no reception so if you have any problems you have to ring them at the port. The same "manager" even showed up at around 8.30pm one night and banged on everyone's doors to see what rooms were full, he seemed quite drunk. The power only works with the key in a slot so you can't charge anything while you are out. The only plus is there is personal safe in each room so you feel a little bit better about leaving your belongings in a dodgy location.

Room Tip: If you must stay here select a room as close to the main steps as possible and you might get lucky w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

the same hotel has 2 names. Its also known as fira calm hotel. we booked online so we got a really good deal. we payed only 22 euro per night(month september). We found out that he was charging tourists 3 times that amount per night. The owner is really a very sneeky old man, he doesnt cut any receipt and all he cares about is money. There is no pool, there is wifi only outside and the sea view that they show on the website is nothing near to the truth...definitely stay away

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Definitely NOT recommended for a single traveller (I also wouldn't come back if I was with others). I made a spontaneous trip to Santorini and when I went to the travel agency at the port, this was the only option I was given in Fira - if you can count it as "in" Fira. It is actually about a 12-15 min walk away from the centre where there are few people and down a very steep hill. Unacceptable for those with mobility issues or anyone, like me, who is travelling alone. Very dark as there are no lights on the building and scary to walk back to.
I only got internet access when I was outside. When I asked the guy why, he gave me the password to another hotel's wifi.
I did not enjoy staying here. I felt isolated and had to bring everything with me for the day because I didn't want to walk back and forth. I was nervous that if anything happened or I needed help, there was no reception to contact. There also isn't any store nearby if I need anything right away.
I noticed that on the internet it says there is a pool. I was not told there was a pool, nor have I seen one.
FIND SOMETHING ELSE! Unless you are looking for something very isolated, keep looking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

They said they had a pool. No. The management and workers are creepy. At night when we arrived back there were no outside lights, which made for a scary experience as the walk is steep and isolated. Wifi? If you go outside to the bottom of the staircase. The cleaning lady,who works morning to night as she is the only person who cleans the entire place, will try to talk your ear off.
When we phoned the owner to tell him about our experienced he almost told us where to go.
This is coming from a group who speak the language, asmy mother was born and raised in Greece, I can only imagine how they take advantage of tourists.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The thing about this hotel is that there's the main building where you have a balcony and the rooms look nice. Then there are the little cement hovels hidden behind the little cafeteria seperated from the hotel building. We were let to one of these. The rooms had no windows, the aircondition didn't work and it was very depressing being in the room. We had booked a room before leaving home and expected one of the nice rooms with balcony but it became clear that the manager had no idea if his guests have booked or not. He just fills all the rooms in the main building and then he uses the cement hovels. We had to pay 54 euros per night so we asked some of the guest living in the hotel building what they were paying and they were paying 44 euros per night while living in a much better room! so we went directly to the manager ( luckely he was there) to get some money back. We were supposed to stay there for three nights but changed it to two nights and got 62 euros back after making it clear that our room was unacceptable for the amount of money we had paid. We do not recommend this hotel but if you decide to live there anyway be aware of the price you're paying compared to the room you get. The manager is sneaky and knows exactly what he's doing. Reading the reviews concerning this hotel you can see that some have had a good stay and some ( like us) have had a terrible stay. This is probably because they were given a better room in the hotel building.
By the way there's no swimming pool (it says so on some web pages) and there's still no reception but a button you have to press and if you're lucky the manager is there. There's no address but we asked some local people on the way who gave directions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We originally had booked someplace called "princess santorini villa" in Perissa, on arrival the wife asked/recommended we stay in their new hotel in Fira for the same price as there was more happening at this time of season (e.g more bars,shops etc open and more populated). We decided to stay in Fira and were pleasantly surprised.
The room was huge, nice bathroom with bath, shower, toilet, mirror and large vanity. The open bedroom had a small bar fridge a bedside table another mirror and dresser plus a cupboard and a double bed, it also had a balcony with deck chairs and table. (Literally the only bad thing we could say about the hotel was that the deck chairs were old and ripped in places and their were no cups cutlery at all).
It is just on the outskirts of centre Fira and is about a 15minute walk to the centre (it is uphill 50% of the way, but we didnt mind doing the walk at all).
We had a driver drop us at the front door (from the port) and carry our bags plus did a lap in town to show us bus stops, taxi stop etc, very helpful, he also picked us up at midnight when we had to leave to catch our ferry. The management is not on site so you have to call to communicate with them, but they always answered their phone and helped us out.
At only 25euro a night in April it was great value and as it was just out of town we slept in a comfy bed all through the night with no disturbances.
The room was clean when we arrived and cleaned on the 2nd day (we were there for 4) we were given fresh towels again.
We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I arrived at Santorini at midnight after a 24 hour long ferry which should have taken only 8 hours. The first booking office I found tried to sell me this hotel and I paid cash for the night without knowing what it was like. The room was clean and comfortable with bathroom/shower and 3 electric radiators were provided to me as it was a cold and wet night. It was a very quiet place and I had a good night sleep. I have no complaints at all. There was apparently free wifi but I had not time to test it out. Thanks for your service guys.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Fira Blue Horizon? Share your experiences!