We chose this hotel because, as you see, it has a TON of incredibly positive reviews, while being a pretty good value, relative to other hotels on the island. And I'm guessing if you're young and and/or you're *not* a light sleeper - this place might be just fine for your needs.
However for us, there were a few issues that made this place less than ideal and hopefully will be improved in the future. FYI that we've stayed at a few other hotels in Santorini, so we feel balanced in our review.
- Outside / pool area aesthetically very pleasing. As many have noted, it's recently been redone, and generally has that white-washed, sun-bleached look to it - very nice.
- Nice little pool area with relaxing music - though just know there's no view from there.
- George is very much on the ball & plugged-in and will fill you in on an endless number of things to do.
- We didn't catch the name of his cousin - but he was really nice, very warm, friendly, and informative.
- Sparse room decor + fluorescent lights (or what seemed like fluorescent lights) + no windows (the doors had windows but no additional) = not the most warm room.
- Bathroom was sub-par. The shower was the traditional hand-held, and attached mid-way up the wall...but barely stayed put, and would spray in any number of random places. No screen door/curtain on shower = bathroom can get soaked. And finally, no toiletries - aside from a small bottle of shower gel that was half-used when we arrived & never got refilled. Oh, also - really dry, scratchy towels.
- A couple mornings, we were woken up early (like 7-8 AM) by ATV noise rumbling right in front of our room - there's sort of an ATV rental operation run out of the hotel. It is nice that the hotel facilitates the rentals, but it should NOT be done right in front of the rooms at an early hour.
- Hard beds. I realize this is a cultural difference, and other Greek hotels also have hard beds - that said these seemed especially hard.
- Pretty darn sparse breakfast, compared to what we've had in other Greek hotels, and considering it was an add-on that we paid for. Especially bad coffee. Overall breakfast not horrible, gets the job done - but below average relative to other places. (Also the breakfast staff seemed a bit unfriendly, especially compared to everyone else at the hotel.)
- I'll also note - it's not a *bad* walk into the center of town (maybe 10 mins), but it is a little far, and the walk on the main road can be unpleasant with cars.
Don't mean to sound like sour grapes here, but really just wanted to put this place in perspective, especially given other experiences we've had in Santorini. Just to summarize a couple:
- a small hotel at a THIRD of the price, just down the road from Villa Evgenia.... waay better breakfast, very charming, very clean, and very welcoming. Slightly smaller rooms, but again, 1/3rd the price (we'll be reviewing it soon, so you can check our reviews to find it shortly)
- a slightly more upscale hotel, a bit closer to the main square, and just about the same price as Villa Evgenia - much more polished, MUCH more relaxing - and of course, also a much better breakfast :P
This place isn't without its charm and merit - it has a great look to it and George and the gang are trying hard. But I don't think it deserves the near 5-star reviews it has been getting on TA.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
I am very sorry about your overall view on our hotel, we try to provide a very comfortable and welcoming atmosphere here. We are a family orientated business and we try to be very accommodating to our customers. I believe that we are very approachable and I'm sorry you didn't feel that you could come to us with your concerns as we would have endeavored to make your stay more comfortable.
Report response as inappropriate
The rooms have all been recently refurbished to the standard of the villa. The showers are unfortunately like this all over Europe. As for the toiletries if you had of mentioned this to us, we would have addressed this immediately. As far as the ATV's are concerned we are trying to accommodate our customers needs and unfortunately some want to leave early in the morning to get a full days use and I regret that it was of some disturbance to you. Breakfast is there for convenience and my mother makes that with love, sorry it was not to your liking.
Thank you for your time.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.