“great location for the price - and a pool” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Leta
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Parodos Eikostis Pemptis Martiou, Fira 847 00, Greece   |
Ranked #52 of 76 Hotels in Fira
Winnipeg, Canada
“great location for the price - and a pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

For a budget traveler, you can't do much better at this price level. Great to get free transportaion to and from the port. Just 2 blocks east of the caldera edge and 2 blocks north of the central square, you have all the shopping and dining options a short walk away ( and only 3 blocks north of the bus station ). Hotel is a few steps from the main road, but you can't hear the traffic from your room. Very peaceful having breakfast ( included in room price ) on the small patio off the room. Good continental breakfast of coffee, juice, toast & jam, cheese, and cake. Our double room by the pool had a bonus single bed, so there was lots of room ( furniture a bit dated, but our bed was comfy ). The fridge was very handy for a cold one after an afternoon of shopping. A/C worked very well, but only a couple of stations on the TV ( not that we spent much time in the room ). Small shower, but that seems standard in most places in Europe. Besides the pool area, there is also a large veranda on the top floor with a great view of the east coast. Owner was very helpful with our luggage and had loads of information about the town and island. We had heard Thira was expensive, but if you look around you can get great meals ( with a sunset view ) and souvenirs at the same prices of the other islands.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Atenas, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We'd heard (from a fellow traveler with "lots of experience traveling in Greece") that Hotel Leta was a great find. Once there, we realized it was a cheap hotel in need of some tender loving care. For example, the table on our small poolside balcony was missing its top. We spent the night tossing and turning on a mattress well past its prime then awoke to a breakfast that consisted of nothing more than stale bread and cheese. If you're just looking for an inexpensive place to crash for the night, Hotel Leta will do. Otherwise, I suggest exploring other options for your stay on Santorini.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

basically impossible to have any kind of conversation with the owner, she was also pretty reluctant when we asked to pay by credit card. When did managed though but you could tell she wasnt very pleased. It is just scary that a business owner cannot even understand the language, this might lead to serious misunderstandings, we always made sure she understood us which made our conversation sound like those of a bunch of 3 years old...

breakfast is a ripoff, they also say it finishes at 10.30 while they'll take away all the food no later than 10.15, so better wake earlier. We could have actually spent the same money in one of the bars around and have better food in both quantity and quality. Cutlery are not cleaned by a washing machine, a girl just flushes them with some water and place them back to the breakfast table...

Rooms are ok, location is fine.

Room Tip: hope that everything goes smooth, no way to talk to the owner or whatsoever
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Table View
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Hotel Leta at Fira, Santorini is very centrally located. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. There is a bar fridge in the room, and the upper level rooms have the use of a large patio area. The rate is very good, as Santorini is quite expensive. We did not have the breakfast. On the negative side, there is no place to hang wet towels and our bathroom door did not close. No credit card facilities. Transfers to the ferry port are offered, although we had to phone for the vehicle to come eventhough we had notified the hotel of the details of our arrival.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

we booked 3 rooms several weeks in advance, which offered views from the website. on arrival we were shown 3 rooms, one opened off the breakfast room, another had a small high ceilinged window which you needed to climb ontop of the coffee table to see out of, straight into the neighbouring property. When we objected to the owner she wasn't forthcoming about alternative rooms, until it looked like we would be leaving, then she "found" a better room for one of our party, and promised the other a balcony room the following night. This was not available the following night as apparently we had to be in our room at a certain time of the day to move (this wasn't explained when promised the balcony room). There was no apology for this, or any sort of compensation. On the whole we found the whole experience distressing, frustrating and upsetting. Would not in a million years go back, and would recommend instead a lovely couple who owned the Ostria apartments in Kamari (a fab location on the beach, 15mins, by quad bike from fira), who gave us a brilliant deal, it being the end of the high season and greeted us like long lost friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I stayed in this accomodation with my 9 year old daughter in August for 2 nights while we explored Fira. We arrived by public bus from Perissa.

I had emailled the owner several times ahead of time to see if they could send someone to meet the bus, or a taxi, as we had been backpacking for a month around the Middle East, and I knew my backpack was heavy.

The owner/manager sent several one line emails back simply saying "No, you walk." There was an obvious lack of english which made it extremely hard to communicate.

When we arrived at the bus park, no one knew the place. I had a map and the hotel name/address, and no one could come close to pointing us in the right direction. Even at the tourist office, they could only point us up the street, but not tell us where or what we should look for as landmarks. We asked at several supermarkets and shops along the way up the hill of the main town.

Finally after 20 minutes, we asked at a snack shop and she said we had gone too far. So frustrating. We finally got sent way down a donkey path, and saw a sign. I was exhausted and covered in sweat. No one seemed to be around. I yelled hello a few times until a woman came out and told me to come up what seemed like a million stairs, and she was saying "no, no, no." When I got to the top, I saw her pointing to what looked like a streetside entrance that we could have come in to avoid the long donkey hill down and then stairs up...not marked well at all. So be aware of this before you book this accomodation.

Although I booked this hotel through a provider that indicated I could pay by credit card, when I got there, I could not. All she said was "it's broke". Any time I asked anything, there was no one available who spoke any level of english.

The room was relatively clean. Lots of little ants though. My daughter got a few bites. Very small bathroom with small 2 x 2 shower. Air conditioning was fine. All of the advertisements indicate each room has a small private balcony. This is also not true. We had none, and when i asked, she said only one, and pointed to it. I saved a brochure from the hotel that says small balcony in each room. Maybe it is the english thing again??

The pool was small, and there is very little shade during the day, and no room for umbrellas. It could have been cleaner.

All in all, it was fine for the price, but I think you can find better in Fira.

Lastly, there was a bunch of sunflower seeds on the ground up on the 2nd level common balcony, and a cleaning lady started yelling at my daughter for the mess. My daughter did not have any sunflower seeds, and she did not make the mess. I sternly told the lady not to speak to my daughter that way.

Would I stay there again? not likely. Would I recommend it to others? Not likely.

The pluses for this accomodation were:
we did get a free drive included in the price down to the port when we left, and there was free wi-fi down by the pool.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

This is a great located hotel. Close to the town but situated in the back streets to away from the hustle and bustle. This did make it a little hard to find. It's also just a walk away from the bus station so it's easy to get around.

We found this place on bookings.com - a single room for double use. This meant two single beds. When we got there there was no one at reception and we had to knock on a few doors to get someone to check us in. We were given our keys and found the room had not been cleaned at all. The beds were clearly slept in, and towels were left in the shower room. We informed the staff and were asked to wait outside whilst the cleaner saw to the room.

She took about 15 minutes which was a little worrying and evident as I could still see water and toothpaste splashes on the taps.

We only stayed here as we needed one night stay as our previous stay wasn't available.

Both beds were really creaky but fine to sleep in. The room was actually quite spacious. The walls were quite thin as I could hear someone else snoring through the night (definitely not my boyfriend as I could hear him snoring too) .

There is a pool at this hotel, small but nice to chill out by. The sun is hidden by the building by 2.30ish we found so not too much sun.

All in all it was an okay stay as we got a cheap price last minute, but I wouldn't have paid full price.

There were also some children on the premises who were clearly the owners children. We weren't too bothered by this, but they were running around the grounds by the pool as we sat out by the pool sneaking peaks at us as kids do.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Leta? Share your experiences!