“romantic island” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 76 hotels in Fira
Ludhiana, India
“romantic island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

the view is amazing, just like the pictures. The staff who welcomed us is lovely. We booked a balcony room, it was fine, on the small side, but clean, the thing that really bothered me was there were 3 steps in the room, one from the bedroom area down to the living are which you have to pass on by stairs. Well, nothing can be said that hasn't been said by reviewers before. A stunning property. Fantastic setting. Fantastic staff and service. Immaculately clean. Just perfect in every way. A must place and gorgeous hotel.. If you want to feel like a bird and see for miles and miles, visit this beautiful place. We had the best views over the most amazing bay. Such lovely friendly staff, average food in the hotel or in the near by restaurants.

Room Tip: balcony room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The charm of Porto fira suites starts from the time you meet the lady who runs this amazing property. She will give you a quick briefing of the island along with her personal recommendations for eateries, things to do etc with genuine warmth. When you're shown into your suites you hold your breath for a moment.....the pristine white cave room ...the private balcony overhanging the sea...and the amazing caldera views....it's divine .. the perfect romantic setting. It's ambience seemed notches above the other properties nearby. Go to his place for your own fairy tale holiday.

South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Oh boy am I happy I chose this hotel! WHAT A VIEW!!!! The views of the Caldera and sunsets were SPECTACULAR I couldn’t believe my eyes..! I couldn’t believe I was there given that I’ve always dreamed of going to Santorini-I got tired of looking at post cards.

Our room was so cute with a king size bed, free wifi everywhere in the hotel (which was great because I had to constantly upload photos to my snapfish account), great bathtub and a balcony with furniture where we had our coffee every morning-really loved the intimate feel of our room.

I think most rooms have their own patio overlooking the Caldera, I don't think it would be possible to get a room with a bad view at this hotel. It was very nice and very clean. I can honestly say it’s a great and romantic place to stay; we really enjoyed our time there together. Did I mention it was romantic? ;)

I recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Santorini hands down. I booked thru booking.com and used viator.com for a private tour (Private Scenic Tour of Santorini, including Oia and Mt. Profitis Ilias Monastery).

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our stay at the Porto Fira Suites on the magical island of Santorini was truly the pinnacle of our vacation. Our suite had a private balcony with grape vines and wine grapes hanging down in bundles. The way the suites are set up gives you the feel of having your own private little home on the cliffs of Santorini. It was incredibly quiet and private and the true pucture of serenity. We were a short distance from the pool, a short distance from the main office, where the staff was always kind and helpful. The continental breakfast was fantastic. The most remarkable asset to this hotel was the wonderful porter service. The porter at Porto Fira is nothing less than amazing!

The one not-wonderful part of staying at the hotel was the arrival. We were dropped off at the top of the cliff by a taxi-driver who informed us that the hotel was a short ways down the cliff. There were four of us girls and we geared up with our bags and proceeded down the start of the stairway on the cliffs. It turns out the cab-driver's definition of a short way and our definition was slightly different. The hotel is located at the bottom of the civillized portion of the cliff, quite a ways from the top of the pedestrian path. It was quite exhausting lugging all of our heavy bags down the side of the cliff. So, if you're staying here, know that the porter will come to the top of the cliff to carry your bags for you. Just leave at least one person at the top with your belongings and when you go down to check in they'll go get your bags. Salt to the earth, those porters. Worth their weight in gold! He even was there at 5am before the front desk opened to take our bags back up when we left at the end of our vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

See my review about the Athina Suites (next door) to see how/why we ended up at this hotel. Although, it was a completely unforseen accident, we were more than satisfied with our stay here.

For a fee, there is a shuttle to/from the airport (I recommend you just go to the top of the cliff and get a cab - significantly less expensive and the airport is only a 10-15 min ride away). Beware, there is a very long walk, with lots of steps down the cliff to the room. There are 2 routes you can take, one is a bit longer, but with less steps and the other is shorter, but steeper/with many steps. They have luggage porters waiting for you at the top of the hill, but if you have a lot of luggage, you will no doubt end up carrying something up/down at some point - it is not for those who are not in shape!

The rooms have an absulutely stunning view of the caldera and the cliffside around you. My room was number 15 and I recommend this room above the others, as it is in the top/corner where people will not be trouncing through your patio/space all day. In the cliff in Fira, the rooms are built upon a steep cliff, which means that your room may be on one level, with your patio area several steps below you (a short flight of steps) and the main pool a rather long hike down numerous steps at the bottom level, etc. Our room was carved out of the cliffside with a large volcanic rock sticking out of the wall, which gave it a rather Cave-like feel. The windows do not have screens, but I think it's better that way. The only downside is that if you leave them open all night, not only will you hear a lot of noise from the town above and your neighbors (very close next door), you will also be eaten alive by mosquitos. We left windows open during daytime (only when we were home, of course) and closed at night to avoid this. It was quite small, but as I usually say in my reviews: it was more than adequate if you are not carrying a lot of luggage and do not expect to be home much. Which is always the case with me. There was a slightly moldy aroma in the room, although the only visible signs of mold were in the toilet/shower area. In a room that small, you really smell it and unfortunately, I am very allergic to most molds, so it was a bit uncomfortable to me. The A/C worked quite well and we had it on to help cover the smell, but the A/C also produced a moldy smell when you first turned it on. Thankfully it subsided after a few minutes. At times we had both the A/C on and the windows open. I know its a waste of energy, but a girl's gotta breathe, no?

Aside from the mold smell (there was just a tiny bit of it around the bottom edge of the tub), there was a lot of dust on the wine glasses, wine bottle, tv, etc. I know they came in and cleaned every day, but it appeared that they may spend most of their time mopping, vacuuming and scrubbing the bathroom and bed, more than dusting. I had to wash the glasses before use. They were completely covered in dust.

Both of those issues were things that we could work around. But at the time, it seemed to me that for the price of the room, those issues should not have existed.

The bed wasn't super comfortable, but comfortable enough that it wasn't a real problem. We slept just fine.

The breakfast was very good. Cereals, pastries, eggs, bacon, potatoes, yogurt, all the usuall jams, nutella and other toppings, toast, juices, coffee, etc. And the woman who works the breakfast area took her job very seriously and did a great job of keeping everything filled up, warm and clean. We tipped her well.

There isn't much to the hotel grounds, being that the hotel is built on a cliff. Your room will likely have a patio with chairs, just below your room. Below that you may or may not have another little "balcony" with a sm table and chairs. There are red bougainvilla growing everywhere along the white washed hotel, which was quite lovely.The hotel pool was a pretty hefty hike down a lot of steep, short stairs, but the view was spectacular. It is surrounded by a sitting area carved into the rock and there are loungers around the pool as well as on the deck above the pool (looking down at it from one level up). The pool falls in the shadow of the cliff for a lot of the day and we found it to be rather chilly pretty much all of the time. It was way too cold for me to get in it at any point, but my fiancee got in it (and back out again, within a minute or so - lol!).

The service was spot on. They were ready, willing and able to help with anything and everything. No complaints there.

Of course you are charged (rather heftily) for the water and beers in the fridge (a water should cost about 30-50 euro cents in Greece. So 2 euros for a small bottle of water is a bit shocking....but it's even worse than that at places near the Acropolis in Athens and at the airports or Rhodes town). That wasn't a huge problem for us, it's the price you pay for convenience. But I just thought I should put a warning out there about it - bring your own water from the grocery stores (away from the tourist areas, if possible - you don't even have to go that far out of the tourist zones, just a few feet makes a huge difference to the wallet).

Overall, I would say this was a really nice hotel in one of the most gorgeous settings I have ever seen. The service is great. The rooms are lovely (although ours had a touch of mold in it) and the breakfast is more than adequate. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody who can afford it!

;)

PS: WARNING, if you decide to walk up or down the famous steps of Santorini, know that it is quite slippery, covered in donkey dung, you may be poked or nibbled by passing donkeys, does not smell that great, do not wear open toed shoes or your toes will be covered in dung by the end and WATCH OUT for the guy that sells cactus juice in the cafe that is about half way down the slope. By the time you reach him, you will be hot and tired and ready to sit and stare at the view some more. He will offer you FRESH cactus juice from cactus fruit which he claims he picked from the cliffside himself, that morning. He will put a lot of "friendly" pressure on you to buy one for each person with you (by friendly, I mean he will smile, etll jokes, come on to you or others in your party, etc). The juice is good, but you only get a few ounces in a tall glass of ice (you are basically paying for cactus juice flavored ICE) and in our case, he then disappeared, leaving some other guy to collect the payment - WHICH WAS 10 EUROS!!! ..for just a few ounces. We could not find him to protest and the guy collecting money naturally didn't speak much English and was "confused". One was barely enough for me, if I had bought 2, I would have been out 20 Euros!!! ...for just a few ounces of juice (mostly ice). Not worth it!! WATCH OUT FOR THIS GUY.

Room Tip: Rooms in the corners (#15) are out of the path of other guests climbing their way to their rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We arrived at Porto Fira Suites in the afternoon and were told we had been upgraded to a room closer to the top of the hotel. It was perfectly satisfactory but we wanted the room we had booked because it was a cave room with it's own little balcony. It meant climbing 76 stairs to breakfast each morning, 91 stairs to entrance of hotel and 129 stairs to the main street BUT it was worth it. The privacy and the views were second to none. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. Family run business, Mum and Dad built the hotel in the late '80's and it is renovated regularly to make sure it is up to scratch.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

If you want a great view over the port and caldera, accept that you will have to climb some steps. Most of the hotels with the views are down the cliff.

The Porto Fira Suites hotel is to be found off the street behind a large orthodox church. It is very clean, the rooms are very comfortable and spacious. We rented a cave junior suite just above the pool. The afternoon was the best time for getting the sun at the pool. The pool area can be busy at this time.

The staff were fantastic! Very knowledgeable, helpful and always pleasant. It was a big help getting the luggage back up to the taxi when we were leaving so I can't say enough about them!

The breakfast buffet doesn't vary much and the hotel doesn't have a bar or restaurant but these can be found nearby.

We would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a relaxing stay in Fira. Enjoy!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Porto Fira Suites? Share your experiences!