“fabulus hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 76 Hotels in Fira
Rome, Italy
“fabulus hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

Considering we only booked this the day before the arrived we couldn't have been more pleased.

The reviews previously read were definitely true...the family at the hotel are friendly, helpful, chatty, funny..

The pool is fantastic, as are the number of sunbeds and space for them. The rooms are comfortable. Rooms are cleaned daily. It has an extremely safe feel about the place too.

The walk to the town is 5 mins and you will find a large supermarket and plenty of bars and restaurants here without the loud music of the town. As to which are the best places, well that really depends on personal choice.

Hire a car for a couple of days - the owners were very helpful and deliver & collect the car. Definitely cheaper than going with the agents.
Enjoy your holiday there...we did

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
larissa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I have stayed there for a week.I went cause my job but the staff (MARIA,LOUIS) helped me to feel like being home!!!From my balcony i was watshing the pool and aegean sea!!!!!It is really brilliant!!!!allthough the New Haroula is at the center of Santorini it is very quiet and you have the best sleeping ever!!This summer i will be there again!!!This hotel is really familiar with the wild beauty of Santorini!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Canberra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

That's right at this hotel you have to make you own bed. The top sheet is neatly folded at the bottom of the bed for you to finish making the bed. When paying 100 euros I expect the bed to made. The rooms are very small, the furniture chipped, old and mismatched. Even though there were two of us they only supplied one glass. The bathroom smelt like sewage, the shower curtain held up with a clothes line and it hadn't been cleaned properly. The staff were rude and just couldn't be bothered. Santorini is a great place but don't stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We were greeted with "Passport". On entering the room we were so disappointed. Shabby small room worse than any backpackers I have stayed in. Bathroom tiny and smelly. No liner in the bin. Dirty soap in the soap dish. Not enough room for two people and their bags. No bedding apart from a sheet, and the bed was not made up. Staff inpersonable and uncaring. We were made to feel as though we were imposing and that was before we even got to the room. We had a look at another room but it was the same. Needless to say we did not stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

I had stayed in 3 other hotels on other islands before coming to hotel New Haroula.I have read the reviews and I can see where alot of changes have been made. There are no plastic dishes and the breakfast tables are set and awaiting the guests every morning in a very spacious breakfast room where Leftaris is there waiting to pour your coffee for you. The rooms are a good size the same as I have seen everywhere and are cleaned daily .The cleaning staff is friendly and will get you extra pillows, it just requires one to ask. Breakfast is the same fare as it is on every island hotel you stay in. You might find some differences in other hotels but it basically the same.I asked about this. This is the standard set by the greek government for hotels. I had a pleasant room overlooking the pool and a partial view of the ocean. I especially liked that each room had a clothesline on the balcony to hang out your hand wash. I hadn't seen this in previous hotels I stayed in.The hotel staff is very accomidating. They helped to arrange some of our tours, ordered our take in food when I didn't want to go out and were always on hand to assist in any way. When I arrived there I was greeted by the owner and invited to have a drink of volcano water. You must try this liqour, it is very good. Maria, who runs the reception is a jewel. One evening I wasn't feeling well and she brought me a dinner that the family had cooked. She also arranged for me to have a massage therapist come to my room at a fraction of the cost one would pay for on the island.The location of the hotel is two streets down, a five minute walk to the center where you can find internet cafes, grocery store and the bus station. Staying in the center of Fira can be noisy in the evenings so I appreciated the peace and quiet at New Haroula at night. My stay there was late May and first week of June. This is a great time as the busy season isn't in full swing yet and at times I had the swimming pool all to myself. I want to return to Santorini one day and for the price, location and kindness they afforded me I would book myself again in New Haroula.

• Liked — great price and location to center of town
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

The hotel gets a maximum of two stars. The rooms are small, the furniture is very old and quite uncomfortable, the bathroom is unacceptable and it is dirty at some places. The pool area is actually nice. The breakfast selection is very limited. The advantage of this hotel is the proximity to the center - about 200m from the main streets, and considering this the price you pay is acceptable. The place needs a total renovation.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed 1 night at the New Haroula hotel in Santorini as a result of ferry cancellations due to bad weather. Our previous hotel could not offer us an extra night as they were fully booked.

First I must point out that the Trip Advisor references for this hotel are very confusing. They suggest that it has been renamed the Hellas Hotel. As far as I can tell this is an error. The New Haroula is still trading under this name as at September 2007. From the individual websites the Hellas Hotel and the New Haroula are clearly different establishments. Maybe they are linked somehow, or have the same ownership? I dont know. But definitely not the same hotel.

Our stay at the New Haroula was surprisingly pleasant as we didnt have high expectations. (booked on short notice through a local agent as our ferry had been cancelled) The rooms are very basic, but large and clean. We had a family room (4 beds, 2 adults 2 teenage kids) The hotel has a lot of "Cycladian" character, a spacious feel, a nice courtyard and great swimming pool. Location is good, some views to the east from the top levels, no caldera views but only a 5-10minute walk to the centre of Fira.

The breakfast (included in the rate) was more than adequate. The only real negatives were that the hotel lacked "warmth" (turning some lights on in reception might help!), the owners are very reserved and do not come across as being friendly, their English is limited and the towels/sheets, whilst being clean, have certainly done a few miles and are due for replacement!

Overall great value for money and no major issues. If you want a good value hotel, with a nice pool, in a quiet location but close to the action the New Haroula is worth considering. A good base for exploring Fira and Santorini. Just dont expect a warm family welcome or 5 star luxury!

• Liked — good location, good value and great pool
  • Disliked — not overly friendly
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to New Haroula Hotel? Share your experiences!