“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 77 Hotels in Fira
maryland
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We went in May 2010.. Volcano View Hotel was a beautiful hotel! The view was amazing and the room was great! The room size was huge, the bathroom was beautiful, and our view was priceless! The room had the bedroom, living room, and huge bathroom. The location was great! A shuttle picks you up to go into town, and you can rent a car to go to other places, like Oia, and the beach (we went to the Red Beach.) We loved sitting outside on the balcony watching the sunset over the sea and Volcano. I recommend this hotel, don't believe the terrible reviews.. Everything was great, including breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October from the great reviews it recieved, personally now think they write it up themselves. Sorry but true. Never asked the hotel for anything but everytime we had to deal with them it ended up being barked at from them.
We planned to just kick back at the hotel and eat, drink and sleep. But when your first meal comes out with dots of white mould on the baked cheese, you wont want to eat there again, after showing the waitress, she saw it and was shocked took it back then later came back and said it wasn't mould from the chef and wouldnt bring it back out again, well we thought we'll get over it, we'll just eat in town
well whilst waiting for the bus, the receptionist is arguing with another guest and was really, really rude. Couldnt believe it but thought wow wheres the great service i read about?
Dont hire quadbike there they rip you off for more then double the price in town, this hotel won't help you enjoy your stay, they try and rip you off as much as possible. They treat you like a dumb tourist and will never think they are wrong.
Well when we checked out, all i did was read the bill before signing it just to make sure as there was no one else waiting, plus i had it for no more then 1 minute the guy at front desk grabs the bill out of my hands and says like im stupid ''this is ur room, this is ur bar tab'' and snaps at me. I so could not believe how they talk to people, no manners, i've never felt so insulted and this is the first ever complaint i've ever written on tripadvisor. The only positive is the view and we didnt get a smelly room like others got. We stayed at the volcano view end and we werent the only ones that weren't happy. We were all joking about how they must delete the negative posts and write up their own positive ones.

• Stayed October 2012
Wanganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in the hotel with a friend for 5 nights and couldn't have asked for more. We were booked into this hotel through Fantasy Travel and they chose very well!
We had a lovely 2 story room with a wee balcony and amazing views over the sea. The free shuttle into town was great and if you don't manage to catch it back the taxis are only 5euro anyway.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I will be recommending this hotel to my family and friends for sure!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed in a studio cliff-side room in September of '12 (room 610), booked through a travel agency. After arrival, the porter whisked our luggage to our room. The hotel has so many stairs up and down that it can be confusing finding your room again. There were at least 3 pools that we saw. If you have problems with stairs, you may want to make sure you get a room on the main level as the stairs are outside, and fairly steep and narrow.
The view is absolutely amazing, and you can view the sunset every night from your room, balcony, restaurant, just about anywhere in the hotel, you have a view of the caldera and of course the volcano.
The room itself, was fairly spartan, and was similar to what you might find at a more budget hotel in the U.S. (this is definitely NOT a luxurious hotel). Everyone is very nice, the breakfast is adequate, but it seemed that there was only 1 or 2 servers for a few dozen tables, and sometimes they ran out of plates, and I saw a few people having a difficult time trying to get someones attention. This is forgivable since it is a buffet, I did not eat there at other times.
The hotel shuttle to Fira town was helpful, and saved a lot of money, and drops you off next to a bus station, where it is very easy to catch a bus to different parts of the island. Bus travel was easy, the conductors spoke English, as do most people on the island, and people are so helpful and friendly. There was also a small grocery store directly across the street where you can buy water, soft drinks and snacks. The room has a refrigerator, there is a small size safe which can fit most personal items, but not a laptop. There is free Wi-fi in the lobby and restaurant, and there are 2 desktop computers in the lobby which are free to use also.
Overall this is a unique hotel with breathtaking views with adequate amenities and service to make for a memorable stay in Santorini.

New York, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

First off I cant express how wonderful the front desk staff was at Volcano View. They had wonderful manners, always smiling and happy to review your daily agenda and give wonderful advice on how to spend your day. The concierge was a amazing set of young men who lugged your luggage up and down the steep steps to your hotel room. The view was AMAZING. The rooms small and cozy with a hint of earthy smell (your room is inside the mountain!!) And yes a once in a lifetime experience. Traveling Solo to enjoy the gorgeous Greek islands I found it amazingly quaint and the epitomy of a fantasy. I only had two little quirks here and I think it had more to do with the culture then with the hotel. 1- When I went to dinner I sat at a small table so as not to impede upon any of the other guests with friends and familys. The waiter never ever came to help me. He helped the familys on either side of me multiple times. I had to wave down a female buswoman to bring me a glass of wine and to ask for the menu. A hour went by both families had food and were finishing when the waiter finally came to me and rudely told me my glass of wine was 5 euros. I asked him if it was ok if I could order some dinner he walked away. I got up left 5 euros on the table and went across the street to the mini market and got a 3 dollar snickers for dinner.. :(... It was dark and the walk to Fira isn't safe at night. I went out the next day and when I got in to my room in the afternoon my toothbrush was in the sink and the brussels were all worn down (it was brand new). I just can't. I was going home the next day I left 20 Euro in the room for the housekeeping staff with the toothbrush on the top of the money (just in case they needed it to finish cleaning the room)..

I did have a wonderful trip to Santorini its just the tiny quirks that sometimes you remember- who doesnt want a Snickers for dinner on a trip to the Beautiful Island of Santorini??

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our stay here was arranged by Fantasy Travel and in no doubt, it was spectacular. The views from our studio room were amazing, as our little balcony lead to the sea facing side. The room was also keep clean and tidy, but be aware that the housekeeping staff come around early- I think they start at around 9am or so. They typically assume that you are down at breakfast so they enter your room to start cleaning. So if you have valuables, make sure they are put away before heading out for some food.
The breakfast spread was very impressive- a selection of eggs, bacon/sausages/ham, a greek dish, and a variety of yoghurt and toppings, juice, and other pastries. I was actually pretty impressed.
The hotel is out of Fira a bit, so it's best to rent a car while in Santorini to get around. Although we went through our travel agent for the car, it's wonderful that we could just leave the car keys at the front desk at the end and everything is taken care of. They do have a shuttle but it only comes every couple of hours, so if you want that freedom, it's best to have your own transportation. Shops in city centre Fira open till 10pm-midnight, so you don't want to miss out on the nightlife that much.
We watched the sunset from the hotel one night as well- just as breathtaking as in Oia!
All in all, I would definitely come back to this hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The views just take your breath away here. Enough sunloungers for all with plentiful pools.
The staff were great and the breakfast really good.
It is away from the hussle of Fira town which is a good thing if you are in the area a while you'll see for yourself.
However a reliable shuttle service in and out takes about 5 minutes.
We stayed in a similar star hotel in Kamari which I've also reviewed so this was an absolute godsend with a gorgeous Mexican restaurant 200 metres up the road...
Night staff always gave us Raiki and sherry before we went to bed also which is a nice touch as you know how strong they are !

Room Tip: All rooms are great, whether volcano view or inland view. Inland view you get the sunrise and VV sun...