“Fantastic but no longer than 2 nights” 4 of 5 stars

Aressana Spa Hotel and Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fira town, Fira 84700, Greece   |
Ranked #15 of 77 Hotels in Fira
Heidelberg, Germany
“Fantastic but no longer than 2 nights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a 7 day stay at this hotel whilst we got married on the island and were extremely happy with the location, cleanliness, modern feel, helpfulness from the staff (when we found out we needed organisational help for events and hiring things on the island). The pool area and balcony above it were really the best points and all the cleaning staff were down-to-earth friendly.

The downsides where:
- Breakfast was different (in a good way initially) but lacked variety and was hard to have in its limited capacity more than 2 days in a row.
- The reception staff often seemed often to be disinterested or acted 'above it all'.
- Swimming pool was freezing (but it seemed most other hotels had the same)

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor were rather dark but you could pay the same and have a large room on the t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I landed on the island and went to my hotel only to find out that it had nothing to do with what I saw online! Typical. So I went for a walk in the town and by accident walked into Aressana and new instantly this is where I should be staying. I spoke to the staff and they understood my situation perfectly (getting out of one hotel and into theirs) and I never looked back. Shortly after I arrived at Aressana and my hoiliday finally began. The service, attention, detail, staff, food everything was as I wanted. I will be back

Room Tip: simply ask for what you want, if it is available they will accomodate you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My family and I had the pleasure of staying at Aressana.
From the time of the booking all the way to our stay, we received fantastic service.
Palamas, Maria and Alexandria helped us with all of our needs.
We will be back...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We loved this place for our honeymoon! It is a quick walk into the town and the service was superb! I can't say enough good things about this hotel! The pool is gorgeous. The rooms were very nice and clean. The staff is very helpful!

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Overall great hotel. We stayed 6 nights and it was in an ideal location. With 2 young kids and 2 elderly parents we did not have far to walk to Fira town centre. Daily breakfast was delightful, though seemed understaffed at times for overall F&B. generally was good value for money, made our Santorini experience so much better.

• Stayed September 2012
Laguna Niguel, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I edited this review perhaps six times before submitting it. When I started writing I was "disappointed," then frustrated, later tolerant and finally ...livid.

Let me start by mentioning that the staff at the Aressana was very accommodating. One slight exception was Maria who was fine but seemed to have a bit of an attitude. In general the staff attempted to do whatever they could to satisfy us. However, I cannot understand how this facility could be rated a 4 star unless those rating have very modest expectations.

When we first arrived and my wife complained about the hotel, I chalked it up to the fact that we had just come in from Mykonos, where we stayed at the Mykonos Grand, a stellar property.

Upon arriving, because we came in early, understandably our room was not ready. Anna (very nice) walked us around the property. Looking out, we noticed that the view was partially obstructed by the facility's oblong, barrel shaped plaster rooftops. While this may sound romantic, it was not. We were shown the pool area which was fine but not what we would have expected for an upscale, boutique style hotel. I am not saying that it was ugly. Simply, it wasn't particularly impressive.

Next, the rooms. I have read some of the other reviews and also, while we were in Fira, at least one other guest confirmed what we and others have experienced. After spending night 1 in room 66 -- an unimaginative and austere room with boring, olive/taupe colored tile and a dark, velvet-type couch one might find in a house built in the 70s, were upgraded to room 24. Aesthetically it was quite attractive. However, there were issues with room 24 as well. The biggest: My wife immediately and then periodically noticed a sewer smell coming from...somewhere. (So my vacation gravitated into a damage control experience...not exactly what I had envisioned for the time spent in Santorini.) The smell might have explained the fly problem we faced constantly during our stay. Or, it could have been from the yard next door. (Read on.)

Our patio, while...cute, overlooked the entrance to the hotel (cars & noise) and also a yard which featured an older car and a few goats and chickens. Not good. (Remember the fly issue I mentioned?) Then there were the towels in our room. We found at least three that were either badly stained or just dirty. (Rust-looking spots.) Did I mention the rusted drain on the bathroom floor of room 66; the fact that the cool looking black tub in our suite leaked from the bottom; the mosquitoes in the room that bit my wife in the middle of our last night*; the shower diverter knob that came off**; the toilet that didn't flush as completely as one would have expected***, or the fact that our key-card had to be reset constantly****? Oh well...

The breakfast, while not up to the standards set by our hotels in Athens and Mykonos -- or, for that matter, even the Sofitel at the airport in Athens -- was fine and featured some delicious, homemade items. So far, so good, right? Wrong. Breakfast was included in our package. In fact, breakfast has been included at every hotel we have ever booked in Europe, including the Sofitel. So, imagine our surprise when upon requesting an omelet, we were told that there would be a 4€ charge. It gets worse. Upon checkout I noticed a number of daily charges for 9.50€. Not only were we charged for the omelets, but also the mushrooms (in the omelet), the cappuccinos and the expressos. (The good news: At least they didn't try to charge us for the plates and napkins. But I'd better check my Visa bill very carefully just in case.) I was steaming...and not from the cappuccinos. When I "discussed" these charges with Maria, she told me that we should have "checked the prices" in the breakfast area. Excuse me? Seriously (?)...when our breakfast was "included?" Maria grudgingly relented and we negotiated out most of the "other charges" but still had to pay for the daily omelets. Talk about ridiculous.

Finally, in 2012, travelers expect well-functioning wifi in their hotels. While the Aressana does possess the service, it only functions in the common areas. And, it was certainly not reliable, at least not while we visited. Virtually every Santorini restaurant and "taverna" in which we stopped not only had WiFi available, but their connection was better, faster and more reliable than in our hotel.

I don't mean to be completely negative. In fact, I can sympathize with the staff at the Aressana. They are doing their best to satisfy guests. But their property truly leaves much to be desired.

There were a few positives. In addition to the staff, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the bed was very comfortable in our room. The location of the hotel is excellent -- very close to fantastic views, churches, great restaurants, and excellent shopping. And, for my wife's birthday, the Aressana gave us a nice wine basket. But sadly, because she was so disappointed, it didn't make my life any easier.

One final note. We booked through Costco, in which I have great confidence. During the afternoon of our arrival we informed the Costco agent in Santorini -- Manuel, a very nice German fellow -- of our dissatisfaction with the facility and our desire to consider other options, as in, moving. Manuel contacted the management at the Aressana and was told that because the stay was prepaid (five days), they would not work with us if we wanted to move. In other words, no refunds. (Costco has some splainin' to do.)

If location is the traveler's top priority then the Aressana should be adequate. However, the facility leaves plenty to be desired from this reviewer's perceptive, and we will not return.

*In fairness, during our last two days the weather was unseasonably humid, creating the perfect environment for critters. However, with a livestock yard next door, mosquitoes can be expected. When I mentioned the mosquito problem to Maria at checkout, she asked why we hadn't used some type of repellant cake (or something) in the room. Say what? How was I supposed to know about that?

**The two parts that came off were plastic, press-on, pressure fit pieces. It was only going to be a matter of time before they failed.

***Even when using the "heavy flush" option.

***What a pleasure, particularly when you need to make a pit stop, fast. When I inquired as to what was up with that -- having to "re-key" almost daily, the front desk told me that they had changed keycard serving machinery about two years earlier and that the new keycards were "very sensitive." No kidding. (They probably ordered the machines from the Grecian equivalent of Walmart. I had to say that.) Perhaps the keycard problem is actually a security strategy: No one -- including the guests -- can enter their rooms!

Fort Worth, Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Recently stayed at the Aressana. It is a modern hotel that is very beautiful with cube shaped white washed buildings typical of Greece. The rooms were nice with small bathrooms and a small balcony. The staff was very helpful and arranged shuttles for our group of 6 to restaurants. It is near the church and the main upper pedestrian road of the town. It is not on the water. Overall a nice stay with no complaints about the hotel or staff—next visit I would probably opt for a hotel overlooking the water on the caldera side. The scenery in Santorini is so spectacular it seems a shame to go all that way and not take advantage.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Aressana Spa Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!