“Very unsafe to point of dangerous” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 33 Activities in Fira
Adelaide, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Very unsafe to point of dangerous”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Sit on the donkey, a slap on its behind and away you go up a narrow path with donkeys in both directions as times bustling to get past each other. A loose stirrup on a donkey coming the opposite direct and crunch across my shin. I thought my leg was broken and after a visit to the doctor and local hospital for xrays I got the good news that this incident on day one of my trip had not ruined the holiday totally.
You would be foolish to go on these donkeys and if you end up with an open wound exposed to donkey droppings who knows what will happen to your leg

Visited November 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alabama
13 attraction reviews
“Smelly, uncomfortable, unsafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

The donkey tours appear to be an adventurous alternative to walking or standing in line for the cable car. Our companions unanimously agreed it is not a good idea. The poor things smell really bad. Even the concrete donkey statue had flies on it! The flies are annoying to the rider and donkey. One guest on our ship was bitten by an adjacent donkey. If you want to be able to say you have done it then do so. But most seem to endure it rather than enjoy it. They do not sweep the roads so they are pretty heavily soiled with donkey manure. Otherwise the walk is not as bad as it would appear. The line for the cable car was long and took about 75 minutes.

Visited November 2013
Yarm
“Worst thing I have ever done ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have just come back from Msc cruise which visited Santorini.
The ship had to tender and we looked at the options to get to Fira at the top. The donkeys were 5 euro one way and really I should of known the reason why he never offered round trip at that point !!
Getting on the donkey was rough going the guys literally grab you and throw you on and opla away you go.
I did think mine thought he was in the donkey derby and had to race all of the other donkeys in his path. These donkeys are just expected to make their own way up to the top and I had many a near death experience (or so I thought ) my legs were rubbed against walls .rubbed against donkeys bums as my little donkey was trying to win his own race and I had no control if my donkeys actions.
The steps up are cobbled and maybe 6 foot wide and can be slippy.
Just as I was getting used to the zigzagging from wall to small wall that stopped us falling over .a large group of donkeys were on their way down on their own and more chaos occurred. My little donkey still on his mission to win just kept in going barging through with his hysterical passenger eyes shut and willing the journey to end lol maybe that's why he was racing.
I was never as relieved as I was when I got to the top but there was no one to help you get off once there my poor husband had that delight
I never saw any mistreatment however my husbands donkey was beat and sent down .
My advice... Don't do it it's cruel to the donkeys which we didn't realise how much until we were on them and we were on them at 10am and they must be goose door things.
Take the cable car it's 4 euro and a lot quicker

Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
“mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

First, I had actually heard it was going to be a good experience before I went up on a donkey!

Does any of you know that noone was herding the donkeys unless there was a sizable group going up/down the path of I estimate to be 6 floors? or more?

So basically you pay EUR5 to go on a 1-way ride, get urshered to hop onto a donkey and off it goes! without a handler!

Since I've never riden a horse before, I was pretty petrified that the donkey was left on its free will with me hostage on it.

Granted it doesn't run but considering the steep slopes it has to climb, you can imagine it wasn't the safest thing to do! (even though a lot of things comes with risks as well)

The donkeys are all trained to go on the path but without any handlers they tend to make many stops on the route, can't blame them since they do get tired.

That having said, donkeys are probably build to carry a bit of weight etcetc, so you might say it isn't that bad for them IF they get proper food & water.

So I'm not sure because it is an experience you don't alway get to experience but do it if you're comfortable with riding.

It cost EUR 4 to go down 1 way on the cable car (lasting less than 5mins ride).

But the donkey takes more than 15mins to reach the top.

In the end, I can't say I regret it, because it was an experience but I'll say that you must prepare yourself for it.

And I saw 2 young girls, about 8 & 6 years old sharing one donkey... so...

I went in Oct, off-peak season.

Visited October 2013
traveling cat
145 attraction reviews
“Donkey ride was fun - rides for tourists or pet food??”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

looking at other reviews, am seeing a lot of people saying the donkeys are mistreated and abused but we really didn't see that. the donkeys do walk up and down the steps all day and carry all sorts of people including some who may be a bit on the too heavy side but we couldn't see that they were unhappy when we were there. We were there in the off season though so many of the donkeys were just standing around. It might be a different story when there are more cruise ships in port and more people wanting to ride the donkeys. We had a great time, the donkeys went at their own pace even with the donkey herder coming along behind us, and then they got to stand around and rest at the top while waiting for people to go down plus we often saw the donkeys going down without riders. I do not like to see animals mistreated but didn't see that here. I'd say just look around when you arrive and see what you think and if it looks good, do it and if it looks like the donkeys are having too hard of a time, don't do it. chances are the donkeys would become food if they didn't have tourists to ride them.

Visited October 2013