“Budget travelers ideal location” 4 of 5 stars

Maria's Place
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   Oia Finikia Road, Oia 84702 , Greece   |
Ranked #12 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Oia
Portland, Oregon
“Budget travelers ideal location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

These ample rooms provide all the essentials that you need without the hefty price tag of other hotels in Oia. You can avoid the massive crowds that flood into the main section of town to watch the sunset, and instead enjoy it from your poolside view. Its about a ten minute walk into the heart of Oia, so the joys of the quaint village around far away. Kostas, the owner, was very hospitalable and provided transportation to and from the ferry, which saved us at least $50. Overall, it was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
Turin, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Excellent position just a few minutes walking from the wonderful centre of Oia, the girl at the reception was very kind, the room clean, the pool nice, beautiful view, confortable bed. Room furniture was essential but nice. BUT the fridge was not working at all, so we could barely use the kitchen.
However, at the end of our staying the driver wanted to take us to the port 3 hours before the boat departure due to the lack of organization and their impossibility to arrange other trasfers (we told 2 days in advance the schedule of our boat!), when we protested, he was very rude. It kind of ruined the beautiful atmosphere we had so far.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011 via mobile

We stayed for 5 days in July- the busy season. After making our own way from the port, we first had to find the place- no sign, so pausing for directions in the Oia we eventually found the place. Reception closed (mid afternoon) we were eventually greeted and shown to our room by a man with little English. We were told in no uncertain terms however, through a range of hand gestures, that turning on the air con while the balcony doors were open would result in sudden death.. As it turned out, rules in this pension are policed - we watched people evicted for diving in pool - but- thebrules are the rules! The location is great, short walk to Oia central, the is a convenience store nearby, and it is very clean and quiet. For the price, I doubt you would get better, and with the option to self cater, it is an excellent option. Just follow the rules !

• Stayed July 2011
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We have been 3 nights at Maria's place. The appartments are well furnished and there is a nice swimming pool. Our 9 years old son was asked however to stay completely silent by the staff, although he was not really noisy.
It is a 7 minutes walking distance to the center of Oia but also cheaper than many other accomodations.
All in all, we will turn back there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Before booking this hotel, please note that this place is not located in OIA city center but you have to spend almost 10 mins walk from hotel to center of OIA. Even though it is not too bad walking back and forth in the nice weather.

We booked for a triple room but they provide us a very nice 2 stories OIA style studio with 1 queen size bed downstair and 2 single beds upstair under OIA style roof. in the studio, there is a kitchen and kitchenware provided which allow you to cook an easy meal.

Hotel Owner offers pick up service between both airport and port in Thira. However, there are just few staff working there, the reception does not open 24 hours.

It is a good budget place to stay and party in OIA.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Bexley, Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

I should have written this ages ago, especially as I was so well looked after. First i'll just sum the hotel up. I booked on the internet last minute, 24 hours before getting there, and I think the rate was about 60-70 euros a night. It was the closest we could get to Oia at such short notice, but it was only about a 5-10 minute walk to the centre. To get to the the edge of the island to watch the sunset will take about 20-30 minutes depending on your pace.

The place was basic but clean, the air conditioning worked well, and the pool was refreshing in the heat. Even though this is not right in the middle of Oia, the setting sun can be seen from the hotel's balconies. So a couple of the nights were spent just sitting at the outside table with a drink.

The rooms (well our standard one anyway) had kitchens, but the only cooking apparatus was a two hob device; no microwave, oven, or toaster. This was a little annoying because I wanted toast for breakfast occasionally. I overcame this by holding slices of bread between 2 forks over one of the hobs; this work fine, with just the odd slight burn mark here and there when I allowed the bread to touch the hob.

I also thought the overall design of the hotel was very nice and made for some good photography. The photos provided on the site are exactly how it looks, they haven't attempted to hide anything (not that they needed to anyway). I am an amateur photography and took many great photos in Santorini, have a look yourself -

Now, on our last day there I was hit with a severe case of laberintitis (I only found this name out in the UK when I got home). Basically my head would not stop spinning, as if I had been running around in circles for ages but the effect would not wear off. I literally couldn't move, even the slightest movement of my head caused another serge. I suffer badly from motion sickness, and have a few much shorter bursts of this in the past, so I don't think it had anything to do with the location. I have hypothesised that there could have been several causes - 1: heat stroke (climbing the volcano carrying all my camera equipment), 2:dodgy motion sickness pills bought in an Oia farmacy (I had run out of my usual Stugeron, and needed some to go on a boat). 3:I was eating a lot more fish than I normally do, especially with al the calamari on sale in this country (was some off?) 4:someone also mentioned it could have been polluted water getting into my system when swimming in the ocean? Obviously this is all guess work, as no one else suffered, especially my wife. Anyway, I was taken to the hospital in another town by the chap running the hotel, and he told us he would wait for us. At the hospital I was put on a drip by the most beautiful, and young, female doctor I had ever seen (my wife's words not mine, but I obviously agreed). I didn't see what this was going to do for a problem in my head, but I fell asleep and woke up about 2 hours later feeling 95% better. After bringing up everything during the day, and, not being able to eat anything, I was suddenly starving.

Thanks again for our great stay here, and thanks for being there when we needed you.

I fully recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

We stayed in Maria's place in september, we got married in thira but wanted to stay in oia. We didnt want our guests to pay the large prices that hotels overlooking the caledra ask. I negotiated an excellent deal with Kostos and wondered what to expect. Kostos collected all the guests from port and aerport. he helped us book two minibus's for our wedding day. The apartments were very clean, spacious but best of all they had the best bathrooms I have seen in allthe hotels that I have stayed in Greece. It was a pleasure to shower wevery day in modern facilities.
Kostos and all the staff were so friendly and helpful to all of us and made us so welcome that i look forward to staying there again. Teh walk into the vilage is about 10 minutes and there is a lovely small village about 10 minutes away on the road to thira.
marias place even had a little honeymoon suite, where we found flowers, champagne, homemade greek sweets and satin sheets. Marias Place is a little gem on the outskirts of oia.
regards
breda and mike

• Stayed September 2009

Been to Maria's Place? Share your experiences!