“This hotel exceeded our expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Mystique
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oia 84702, Greece   |
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in Oia
Dallas, TX
“This hotel exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

We stayed at Mystique for 5 nights and loved every minute. I have never been so sad to leave a place as I was Oia. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Our luggage did not make it to Athens, so Vasia and the others stayed on top of it for us and went to the Santorini airport to get it for us when it arrived. Any time we would see anyone who worked at the hotel in town they would recognize us and come over and talk to us. Two of the guys even saw us waiting for a bus between Fira and Oia and stopped to pick us up when they were out running personal errands! Our room was always clean and the view was amazing. The only negative thing we would say about our room (#6) was that the balcony was one of the smallest there. I would recommend asking for a different room in advance if that is important.

Breakfast is very good, if it is included in your room rate. If it isnt, then it is very expensive, so I would go elsewhere, instead of paying the 55 euro for breakfast. The only other negative thing about the hotel is the food (lunch and dinner). It wasn't bad by any means. We just didnt think it was worth the cost. It was by far the most expensive meal we ate...and we ate at some expensive restaurants (Ambrosia & 1800).

Overall, this hotel and its staff goes above and beyond. We were wishing we would have stayed there at the end of our trip, instead of the beginning, because the other places we stayed just didnt measure up after Mystique.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

This is a worldclass hotel that feels like a 5-start B&B. With under 20 rooms set into the hillside in Oia, the small staff caters to your every need and whim (the staff even arranged for a local manicurist to come to my room for a private mani)! When wrote ahead to let the staff know that this was our 10-year anniversary. They were so excited to meet us when we arrived and had upgraded us to an amazing 2-level suite, where champagne was waiting on ice. Unfortunately my husband got food poisoning the morning we arrived, but the staff insisted on making him custom meals at the restaurant and offered to drive 45 minutes each way to Fira to the closest pharmacy open in the middle of the afternoon. I only have 2 small complaints: 1) the staff at the pool bar have no clue how to make the drinks on the pool bar menu; and 2) the bathroom layout was cramped and smelled mildewey. Everything else was fantastic.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

Mystique is a very special hotel indeed and is situated on a cliff side setting on the breathtaking island of Santorini. With unsurpassed views and one of the world’s greatest places to watch the sunset. Antonia and her team will make your stay highly memorable and do their utmost to fulfill every wish and request. Our stay at Mystique was for a long birthday weekend away and it was very special indeed. The spiritual suite we stayed in was stunning, with a large terrace, personal gym, indoor Jacuzzi, high quality furnishing and fittings and one of the most incredible views on the planet. Antonia is one of those very special hoteliers that truly has a passion for what she does. She made us feel completely at home and we shall definitely return. We were also highly impressed with the friendliness and attitude of her team, who truly looked after us. Stay at this hotel if you want outstanding friendly service, fabulous food, the view and the incredible accommodations. I have stayed at every Luxury Collection hotel around the world and this is my favourite. This hotel is a magical place and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a truly memorable stay in Greece.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

Upon my departure I asked for the owner/managers email address and wrote the below email... (it pretty much sums up my stay)

Mr. Eliopoulos,

Good day! I just wanted to write a brief email to highlight
your Hotel and more importantly your staff. I stayed at Mystique
from Wednesday through Sunday Morning as part of my Honeymoon and
had an absolutely wonderful time. Although I am young, I have been
to some very nice Hotels both with my wife and with my family
growing up and I can honestly say that the Mystique is by far the
most interesting and unique Hotel I have ever visited. While the
Hotel is what catches your attention it is the Staff and Service
that will keep people coming back. The Mystique offered, by far,
the best service out of any Hotel that I have ever stayed at. Every
single person, from the gentleman carrying the bags up and down the
stairs to the restaurant servers, greeted us with more than a
smile. It truly was amazing how nice and accomodating everybody was.

In particuliar I would like to let you know that Dimitra is a
truly a valuable employee. She treated my wife and I like we were
royalty and I could tell very easily that she treated the Mystique
as if it was her own. While upgrading our Suite was just the icing
on the cake, Dimitra's personality, charm, and charisma were well
beyond our expectations. She really did go out of her way to make
our trip memorable. Also, I can not forget about Vasia, who spent
more time than she needed planning our everyday activity with a
smile on her face the entire time. Your staff made us feel "at home" and like "family" for the 4 nights were there. My only
regret is that we were unable to stay longer!

I am also a business owner and if all my employees carried
themselves the way the Mystique employees did it would certainly
make my life a whole lot easier. You should be proud of your staff
as they are second to none!

I hope to travel back to the Mystique someday or maybe (as
Dimitra suggested) Vadeema with my future children.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Paris
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We spent a week in the Mystique which was tbooked by Peplum Agency, a so-called Luxurous Travel Agency that we chose to use for our Honeymoon. For 1500 euro per night, we ended up in a tourist trap: a room of 30 square metres with no swimming pool in the hotel but a 3X4 metre one. The beach is at two hours by car, a 75 euro trip in a cab, and there is really nothing to do. It was a nightmare. Even breakfast was bad, and overpriced. Croissant were not fresh, and clearly, the hotel was just trying to get as much money from its clients as possible. We do not recommend this hotel, nor the agency, a fairly incompetent one, that book this absurd trip for 10 000 euros.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
MysOia, Hotel Manager at Mystique, responded to this review, September 15, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments posted on Trip Advisor.

Please allow us to note that you had booked the Spiritual Suite with jacuzzi and fitness room for which official rate is 1.100 euro, which is 60 sq.m. excluding the private veranda, which is approximately extra 25 sq. meters.
Regarding the pool, it is a very good size caldera pool. All the hotels around have similar size pools. The laws in Oia are very strict about what can be constructed, extended and in which way. It is a matter of legislation applicable to the traditional settings, and has also to do with the weight of the water at the edge of the cliff.

As it is generally known, Santorini is a volcanic island, therefore the beaches are not everywhere but just in the Southeast part of the island.The rest of the island has only cliffs from where you can enjoy the unique view. The black sand beach is located approximately 24 kms away from the hotel and it is a 35 minute driving distance. The whole island is 37 kms from one end to the other, so the whole distance can be covered in max 45 minutes driving. A taxi costs 35 euros from the hotel to the beach. Of course, our Concierge department is available 24 hours to assist with car rental which is something most of Santorini visitors do. Furthermore, our Concierge, if one uses it, has the possibility to book different activities, such as cruises, car tours, water sports, horse riding, diving, and many more.

Regarding breakfast, this is included in the room rates and you were not charged extra for it. The breakfast is served a la carte and only fresh ingredients are used for all dishes. In addition, the menu variety in the breakfast is very large, offering a selection of cold and hot dishes. Many of our guests have congratulated us for the variety and the uniqueness of our breakfast.

We always encourage our guests to discuss with us any concerns they might have while they are in the hotel, in order to assist in any way we can and resolve any issues prior to departure. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at Mystique and reverse your impressions.

Kindest Regards,

Antonia Veskou
Hotel Manager
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We booked two rooms at Mystique - it was me and my sister-in-law and my two grown sons. All the rooms are diiferent and I was upgraded to a suite with a work out room! (AMEX) My kids had a two story room and they all have magnificent views of the Aegean Sea. It is not an easy climb to and from the hotel but worth every step. The hosts met us at the airport with cool towels and at the hotel with champagne, fresh fruit was in the room everyday, wonderful amenities, jacuzzis in the rooms, huge porches, panoramic views. The dining room was right on the water, service and food were outstanding. Small wine tastings are held in a very cool cave right on the property. Everyone was incredibly gracious, warm and helpful. Their website has beautiful pictures which are so accurate!
There are a lot of stairs so it is not for the elderly or for small children, but a wonderful location close to great shopping and restaurants. We ate at Ambrosia and Nectar and loved it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Mystique is the perfect name for this hotel. In appearance it is overly simple; layers upon layers of cave- like dwellings that blend with each other and their surroundings. In this way the hotel surrenders to the overwhelming natural beauty that surrounds it. This simple appearance adds to the tranquility of its environment. The interior of the rooms are also simple, yet elegant. Regardless of the room's decor, your eye would be drawn to the breathtaking views anyway.

While in appearance, the hotel blends in with its surroundings, it thoroughly distinguishes itself through its incredible staff which provides above and beyond service throughout your entire stay. Every member of this staff greets you with a warm smile and makes you feel like an important and valued guest. Staff members seem to appear out of nowhere to help you. When I arrived at the pool sitting area, I merely looked at the umbrella and within seconds someone arrived to open it for me. The Concierge staff are all wonderful at providing recommendations and taking care of all of your needs flawlessly and efficiently.

While the hotel is quite small, 18 rooms in all, and only has a small pool and sitting area, the common spaces are never crowded. Many guests make use of the chaise lounges that sit on their private patios right outside of each room. Many guests also choose to take meals on their patios as well. We had massages on our private patio overlooking the Aegean Sea. Between the exquisite view and lovely sea breeze, not to mention wonderful massage, it was a truly memorable experience.

Many of the guests during our stay were like ourselves, couples looking for peaceful relaxation and tranquility. This made for a cordial and serene atmosphere, where everyone respects each others privacy and quiet.

Mystique is located quite close to the lovely shops and restaurants in Oia. Although we found it hard to drag ourselves away from this hotel and the quietude it provided, we walked into town in the evenings for some fabulous sunset dinners, sightseeing and shopping. The proximity of Mystique to this wonderful upscale town provided a wonderful balance for our vacation.

In addition, the food here is also delicious. Although breakfast was included with our room, it was not the standard breakfast buffet that we had come to expect. We were given a menu and told to order whatever we liked and as much as we liked. Everything was made to order. This personal touch further enhanced our feeling that we were special guests at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Mystique? Share your experiences!