“Living in a dream” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 47 hotels in Oia
Singapore, Singapore
“Living in a dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Staying at this hotel is like living in a dream. My sister and I stayed at the double cave room which is clean and comfy enough for two person. It is one of the rooms under the windmill.

We have perfect view of the Aegean Sea, caldera and sunset from our own balcony. They served hearty breakfast.

The owner, Kyriakos and staff Marcos are indeed kind and helpful gentlemen. They gave many tips and directions for us to enjoy the magnificent island of Santorini. Oia itself is a spectacular village in which you could cover the area by foot.

We will definitely return to Santorini and would love to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel is great! I stayed in a two bedroom apartment cave. It's one of the only properties that you can watch the sunset from your room. You will see 100's of people watching the sunset from the paths above while you watch it from your own private patio or terrace.

The owners of this property are friendly and helpful. They will help with rental car arrangements, directions, food requests, luggage movement and anything else. I will stay here again.

Here is the deal with accommodations in Santorini, Greece. It is a cliff side village, meaning almost all the properties are stuck to the side of the cliff so you will need to walk up/down a bunch of stairs to access your room. Almost all cave rooms are laid out different. I might love the room I was in, however, that does not mean you will get the same room. I have visited all parts of this island and I have stayed in many of the properties. Overall, it's an amazing place and all the properties have their own charm. Its one of my favorite locations.

I highly suggest staying in Oia for many seasons. First, it's one of the only villages that has a great view of the sunset. Second, the village is beautiful. Small windy cobblestone streets, cute shops, great restaurants and amazing cliff side dwellings. I would make this your base and rent a car/ATV/scooter and explore the island from here.

If you want a true sunset view from your room you must stay in the right property. I suggest Google Map "Golden Sunset Villas." All the properties around that place will have a full sunset view. If you stay in another property that faces east you will have to walk over to the sunset viewing decks to see it set.

The only reason I would not suggest staying in Oia is if you want a crazy night life (night clubs, crazy beach bars, etc.). If you are looking for that stay in Fira, one of the beach towns or go to Mykonos Island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Good location set at the end of Oia. Staff and service very nice as well. Rooms are fine...has wi-fi. There is a bar with a decent pool next door. Overall, would go back again. There are some decent beaches a short cab ride away as well. And as the name suggests, the sunsets off the end of the island are fab.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Never stayed in a more personal hotel - we were honeymooners and the owner being extremely nice upgraded us to from an apartment to the windmill suite. You definitely get the jealousy looks from all the people cramped at the Castle area when you are sitting on the Windmill suite terrace and unintentionally getting in everybody's sunset pictures while enjoying a glass of wine ;)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was the most amazing place to stay! Loved it!! I even posted a video on You Tube of the sunset we watched during a greek wedding. Feel free to check it out “Santorini Sunset Oia Greece” by Dylan 14570. I traveled some time ago, but am just getting around to doing this review.
The owner of this property was so helpful. He gave us a complimentary bottle of Santorini wine because he thought the wedding might get noisy…but it did not and was actually a treat! The breakfast was out of this world with greek yogurt and honey, peach juice, rolls, and more.

My son brought along a hand held game player which stopped working and we were so bummed for him (we stayed busy, but during our “down” time in the room, he like to play his game). Well, the owner came to the rescue and knew how to fix it. It was a fuse of some sort and he had an extra one for us..lifesaver.. LOL

We originally booked the windmill, but I did not feel comfortable in it with 2 kids (one 2 year old) and, after some juggling, they moved us to another room which was perfect.

This hotel was so quiet during the day and evening, a perfect location, and beauty all around. You will not be disappointed! Family of four, stayed 7 days.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Doha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We arrived there during the shoulder month right before the end of season. Infact we were the last guests and the owner himself was leaving a day after us. Due to this off-season we got a great deal. The owner is an extremely friendly guy and gave me some sincere money-saving tips.

We were a couple with an infant and got two bed room villa which was equipped with everything a small family may need to operate in the kitchen. Rooms werent too big but not suffocating. Bathroom was tiny but functional. They dont serve meals but there are plenty of nice restaurants in nearby market

The view outside the room is simply breathtaking and you may not need to move yourself for a better view. The market area is nearby and a 7-10 minute uphill climb.

Breakfast was a hearty one too though could get reptitive on second/ third days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here in mid October with my wife and a 13 year old son. Due to a booking error on my part, we were assigned a double room, however Kyriakos and Marcos quickly laid out a roll-away bed and all was good. Each of the rooms has its own private balcony ideal for watching the sunsets with a good glass of wine.

Whilst there may be more luxurious accommodation at Oia, i doubt you will find a hotel that provides a better sunset viewing area than here. Each afternoon hordes of visitors collected around the hotel fence but without the comfort we experienced from our own balcony. Whilst we did not reserve the windmill room, I would encourage others to do so. If you google romantic places, Oia invariably appears in the top 10, and a photo of the windmill room usually accompanies the review.

Breakfast was served on a separate landing that seats about 8 in comfort. The food was simple, good and plentiful and Marcos made good coffee whilst keeping the kitchen area clean and tidy.

Whilst there a many things to do on Santorini, I would strongly recommend taking the sunset cruise on the "red" catamarran. Our afternoon was brilliant with warm blue skies, great swimming, and an excellent barbeque lunch. The crew also have a wonderful ability to get you to the best place at just the right time to see the sun sink beneath the horizon.

Others have commented on limited wi-fi connection however I was always able to get good access from the breakfast balcony.

This is a terrific hotel, in a magnificent location offering incredible value. Kyriacos and Marcos are friendly and welcoming hosts and I would highly recomment this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Golden Sunset Villas? Share your experiences!