This review is long overdue: we spent 3 nights in early June at The Collector's House which has two separate bedrooms with king sized beds and a living room. This unit is located at the very top of Ikies property so no one can look down on this patio. If we stood on the edge of our patio, we could down into a patio of unit below us but we made sure to give the other guests their privacy. Since this was my first trip to Greece, I spent hours researching hotels in Santorini and now I'm convinced I made the right choice. Here is my summary of Ikies:
1) Great location: It takes less than 10 minutes walk into the centre of Oia town. On my first night walk into town, I felt a bit smug as I passed by all the hotels that I researched but chose not to stay at. As you can closer to town and within the town itself, pedestrians can look into most of balconies of these hotels. I think the town itself becomes very quite after dark without the cruise ship visitors but still I appreciated the extra privacy offered by Ikies' location. Plus, the location offered a direct view of the picturesque cliff of Oia.
2) Fantastic staff: all the staff at Ikies greet you with genuine smile and eagerness to help every day, all day. I asked for their help with car rental, restaurant bookings and tour ideas and they handled them professionally and promptly. I really appreciated their hard work.
3) Good food: breakfast was more than sufficient. Ikies breakfast was ample and tasted good. Their local yogult with honey and local tomatoes became our daughters favourite. It may seem silly to highlight yogult and tomatoe but just wait till you try them. As they make it clear up front, heir room service menu is limited (essentially mixed plates of cheese or dips) but we found them to be very good. As my daughters did not want to go out, my wife and I ate out and there are number of cafes and bakery near the entrance of town to do take aways.
4) Sunset views: I guess some Santorini PR person is laughing his head off now that the island is noted as having "the best sunset in the world." Silly claim but since some people make a huge deal out of this I will address it. My humble opinion is that Santorini sunset is similar to any decent sunset that you probably saw from some remote place or a nice beach somewhere (Koh Samui, Caribbean, Bali etc). And within Santorini, I strongly urge you not to waste any effort or time trying to see the sunset from the very tip of the Island. We made advance booking for a table at Kastro Restaurant but we had more fun watching hundred of tourists jostling for position to see something we see almost every day simply because some guide book says so. Ikies has a pretty good view of sun setting over the Oia town so it is more relaxing to sit on the patio with a glass of local white wine.
5) Can not think of anything negative. Initially I was looking for a hotel with a pool but Ikies offers private jacuzzi and the pools offered by other hotels are all very tiny anyways.
We found 3 night perfect for us after few days of touring in Athens. I could picture honeymooners and some love birds spending a week or so in this island but for a family visiting Greece for the first time, 3 nights felt just right to experience a unique Greek island stay. For us, Oia was just the right size and Ikies was the best choice.
- Also Known As:
- Ikies - Traditional Houses Hotel Oia
- Ikies - Traditional Houses Hotel
- Ikies Traditional Hotel
- Ikies Traditional Oia
- Ikies - Traditional Houses Santorini/Oia, Greece
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ikies Traditional Houses is a special type of hotel. Its small size, exceptional location, traditional design, range of accommodation (honeymoon, maisonettes, and studios) and professional operation result in a rare blend of intimate and personalized service offered against a setting of unique physical beauty. Located at the edge of the picturesque village of Oia in the northern part of Santorini and with commanding views over it, into the caldera and of the surrounding Cycladic Greek islands, our guests at Ikies quickly tune themselves into the complete tranquility of the romantic village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, T4B, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Ikies - Traditional Houses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.