This is our first time in Santorini, and we wanted to stay at a place that celebrated the traditional cave housing that locals have lived in for generations. Chelidonia certainly offered more than we could have imagined. From our private terrace, we stepped out to a breathtaking east-facing view of the Caldera where you could inhale the magic at sunrise (NB: our villa did not face the west side where the famous sunset can be viewed). It was the perfect place to enjoy tranquil mornings, listen to the calm waves of the Aegean Sea below, just before cruise ships arrive with tourists. At night, the whole Caldera is bathed in warm lighting from restaurants, shops and local jewellers. It is so peaceful that you can actually hear the clinking of glasses and murmuring of guests at restaurants from the private terrace. We noticed our terrace which was filled with gorgeous bougainvilleas was the biggest terrace around!
Other practical tips:
- Contact the owners for pickup from the Airport (25 euros for 2 persons)
- There are no pools at the Villas because swimming pools are not traditional to the area and Oia does not have access to fresh water.
- Wifi can only be accessed on the terrace (the villas are caves, hence no transmission)
- Credit cards are not yet accepted (but payment via Paypal fine)
We would very highly recommend Chelidonia Villas for its romantic atmosphere and exceptional service. The owner Triantafyllos Pitsikalis (aka "Rose") is a very fatherly and takes great responsibility for his guests. Ask him about the local history and you'll be fascinated by his personal story. All in all, a magical stay.
- Also Known As:
- Chelidonia Villas Hotel
- Chelidonia Villas Hotel Oia
- Chelidonia Hotel Oia
- Chelidonia Villas Santorini/Oia, Greece
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chelidonia is a family run set of carefully restaurated traditional dwellings on the caldera cliffs in the heart of Oia, Santorini. We offer panorama and privacy for individual travellers who contact us directly. We are proud to have been recommended by the New York Times as the preferable accommodation to stay on Santorini island. ... more less