“We loved La Perla.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Oia
Seattle, Washington
“We loved La Perla.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at La Perla with our two early teenagers. Our room was clean, comfortable, plenty spacious. The staff were extremely helpful. The pool was lovely. The view of course is to die for. All in all a delicious stay.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I would so like to write a positive review of this place. The owner, Kiki, is delightful and helped us with a car rental, airport transportation and restaurant recommendations. The location and view is stunning. The pool is very nice.

However, the negatives outweigh the positives here. We were first placed in one of the smaller units at the bottom of the complex. The room was the size of a decent closet at better villas. The bathroom, in particular, was smaller than one in a typical travel trailer. A full-size adult could not fit within the broken plexiglass shower surround or sit on the broken toilet without turning his shoulders sideways. The bed was of adequate size for two persons, provided that they are no taller than six feet (which I am), but the $25 mattress was as hard as a brick. Breakfast was as described by previous reviewers, but to get it, we has to go in search of one of the two staff (who speak no English), because the phone did not function (neither did the television or wireless internet).

After three days, Kiki was nice enough to move us to a larger unit which a family had vacated. The room was much larger, but the quality was little better. We truly enjoyed the first night in our larger bedroom until I awakened in pain and agony - a quick search of our bedding revealed a FOUR INCH LONG centipede in the sheets, which had stung me on the leg.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed at La Perla for 6 nights this summer, and I have been meaning to write this review.

We spent so much time on TripAdvisor prior to our selection, and kept second guessing ourselves even after making our selection. No need. If La Perla fits your budget, you can't go wrong for a beautiful little piece of paradise on the caldera.

Starting with our reservation, Kiki was very accomodating and an excellent hostess. She arranged our transportation to/from the airport, and made certain that we paid no more than standard rates - but chose taxi drivers that she knew were dependable. Kiki also recommended several restaurants (after asking us what we wanted) and every time we found that her recommendations were not only excellent, but a good value (well as good as it gets with a weak dollar.

Our room was very nice, clean, and cool. The most fabulous part was the morning breakast and afternoon glass of wine on our balcony, mostly spent in a zen-like trance looking out over the hypnotic blue caldera.

On the day we took a day trip to climb the volcano, Kiki provided us with straw mats and towels to bring with us for the trip.

The pool, although modest in size, was quite adequate and actually one of the nicest on the caldera. When you stand at the top of the town and look down, you can make the comparison and this becomes apparent.

While we were on the island, we visited a few other hotels including Katakies, which is right next door. If you can afford to spend double or triple the freight, then yes you can find a more luxurious accomodation. But if you are looking for good value in a great location, with fabulous views and an awesome pool, then La Perla is definitely a sound choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

This is the first review I've ever written on Tripadvisor. I'm enclosing a part of the letter I wrote him and sent twice, still without a response:

"I just wanted to say goodbye, and to let you know all about our stay at La Perla because I was not able to communicate with you in person after we arrived. The property is just lovely. We were enchanted with the pool set over the Aegean, and our room in the poolside cave was charming, and will serve as the perfect memory of an extraordinary few days and a gorgeous island. Also, the staff were very attentive to us, even though it was not possible to communicate with them at all. We appreciate that they were on the premises and at our service during our stay.

I also want to let you know about some more challenging experiences we had as your guests. As I mentioned, it was very nice to meet you at last, but it was difficult to be at such a deluxe and expensive hotel and not to have anyone on the premises for the entire length of our stay who understood one word of English. You were kind to offer your cell phone whenever we needed it, but we felt badly to keep interrupting you. We had many questions about daily activities and small procedural issues, and felt basically abandoned in what is billed as a world class attraction. Also, it was very difficult that our phone had so much static that we were not able to understand anyone and very few people could hear us. We had to leave and walk upstairs to make any phone calls except for when I managed to communicate with the staff man that I needed to call you in the Reception office. And it was very kind of your to work so hard on fixing up the wifi so that we only had to climb the stairs and conduct our business in the town square one of the three nights we were at the hotel. However, we also had to leave our rooms and go to the balcony below the office to receive the wifi signal which again, for a property that advertises the features and quality of service that you do, was an inconvenience and a disappointment.

I can't say for sure what is the standard procedure for breakfasts among your class of cave dwelling villas, but we were very disappointed that our consisted only of toast, and two small pieces of cake. If you don't serve anything cooked (like eggs or meats) because the season is over, that is equally disappointing but somewhat understandable. But even yogurt and honey might have been nice, as we had to climb up to the market every morning to buy yogurt and fruit so that we could supplement the daily breakfast of bread in a hotel where I was paying $300 a day for lodging. I hope you will not tell me that all I had to do was ask the staff for whatever I wanted, because they didn't understand one word of English. We had a few colleagues on the trip with us who were waited upon by staff at poolside, serving them drinks, etc. While I didn't expect this, I only hope you can imagine how it made us feel in comparison.

I also was taken aback when you charged my credit card at the beginning of my stay instead of the end when I checked out. That was a first for me, other than youth hostels when I was a student. I hope that you welcome my very honest appraisal of our stay. I would love nothing more than for you to make it as right as so that we feel that our stay was very much worth it, and for us to promote enthusiastically what I started off the email by saying were the virtues of your beautiful property. I don't demand or insist on anything at all, but would like to feel like the entire stay was totally worth it, and that we each feel perfectly good about our relationship before, during, and after our memorable stay at La Perla Villas.

Sincerely,"

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Don't waste your time or money. We tried to skimp on the costs, and we very unhappy. This place is a mess. The grounds/rooms/bathrooms aren't clean and moldy. The utensils and dishes were dirty, and probably have never been cleaned. Nightmare. You can go 2-3 mins away and stay at the Atrina Traditional Houses for ~ 30 Euros more per night. There's also plenty of other choices. Perivolas, Mystique and Oia Castle all looked quite nice. Also Fira has some great places.

This place is equivalent to a Motel 6 with a gorgeous view of the caldera.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed in La Perla Villa's for 4 nights and found it to be second rate. The view is amazing but most of the other accomadation around La Perla villas offer the same view with a better standard of accomodation. We were told that breakfast was included in the price and would be served on our veranda, on the first morning of our stay we had to let a member of staff know we were ready for breakfast. This was not very good and only consisted of barely warm coffee, some bread with butter, jam and a few slices of cake. On the remaining days we would call to the staff and ask for breakfast only to be consistently ignored. Also when we checked in we were asked to pay the full balance straight away which I found to be slightly off putting. We had stayed in Nostos Apartments (which was amazing) for 6 nights prior to arriving in La Perla and were not asked to pay unitl departure, this is nomal practice. All in all I wouldn;t recommend La Perla because of the service, the rooms and the staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Middle East
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Our family of four booked a suite at La Perla Villa in Oia as part of our Greek Island summer vacation. The hotel arranged to collect us from the airport, and lugged our bags down the stairs to the cute hotel, which is quite charming. The outstanding thing about this hotel is the view, it is stunning. It is everything you imagine when you think of a view in Santorini.

La Perla Villas are very well located in Oia, not down too many steps, up which there is a little shops which stocks bubbles, magazines, and any other essentials at a decent price. There are several traditional restaurants/cafes nearby; the closer you walk into Oia the more expensive they get, we found. We're not talking great distances here, the walk is delightful along the top of the Caldera. La Perla Villas is right next to the very expensive Katikies, and several other very upmarket hotels.

The rooms themselves are very basic, I would say last decorated in the seventies. Functional, I guess would be the word. Certainly not in the luxury category, but sufficient. Breakfast likewise was OK, tea or coffee, cake, bread, croissants and juice; but I would have liked some fruit, and a change from day to day. Lovely to have it delivered at your phone call, though. The pool was beautiful, and much appreciated in the heat after a big day out sightseeing. I suspect children aren't particularly welcome; mine were OK as they are very well behaved, but some other youngsters there at the time were told off for being too noisy, so beware. Would I stay again? Yes, because if the hotel upgraded itself to a more luxurious level, the price would become astronomical. So it was a great way to get the expensive location/view, without the price tag. Santorini itelsf is divine, hire a car and drive around, kids loved the black Kamari beach which had a great esplanade strip and cold water, and we really enjoyed riding the donkeys up from the port in Fira and also the port below in Ammoudi.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to La Perla Villas? Share your experiences!