“Fabulous honeymoon..” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Oia
Kent
“Fabulous honeymoon..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

My new wife and I have just returned from a glorious 10 days at the Katikies.

From the moment we arrived, we were in total awe at the stunning view of the caldera from the hotel's cliff side location. The hotel is simply beautiful, with all 27 rooms built into the cliff, each with it's own private terrace for breakfast, and glorious views of the volcano and islands of the beautiful, blue caldera. I don't think we will ever forget the view.

Service and food in the hotel is top notch. Lunch and drinks are not cheap, but not silly money. We didn't try the gourmet restaurant, I am not sure it would have justified €33 for a starter!!

Our only gripe with the hotel is that the rooms are not quite up to scratch for the price. The bathroom in our Superior Suite was a little tired, with the tiling on both wall and floor in need of replacement. We also had problems with the shower in that, mid stream, the water would simply stop leaving you standing there covered in soap! Must be due to the lack of water pressure if someone else is showering at the same time!!

The hotel has 3 small pools, 2 of which are infinity pools. The area around the main pool is quite small, and can get crowded, but the view from here more than makes up for it. We spent most of our time in the hotel on the sundeck, which is a large private, quiet area of 7 double sunbeds. Sheer bliss!!

The town of Oia itself is also beautiful. Lots of cafes, restaurants and shops to enjoy along the pedestrian path that skirts along the edge of the cliffs. Katikies is ideally located at the edge of the town next to the start of the path.

Overall, a stunning holiday in a beautiful location. A special mention for Vassilias (poss not correct spelling - sorry!), the manager, who is an excellent hostess.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Montclair, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

My partner and I spent 3 nights at the Katikies this past August. I had wanted to visit the Greek Islands for many years, and I heard great things about the Katikies - but it seemed so expensive. But since this was my 50th birthday, I treated myself.

Well, the Katikies *is" expensive, but it was worth every penny and was the highlight of our Greek Islands vacation. We booked what I think was a standard double room. Probably the least expensive room at the property. The room was small, but very charming and cozy. It opened up to the most incredible view of the caldera that you would ever want to see, and had a private terrace where you can have breakfast or evening wine and cheese while looking at the view. We didn't spend much time in the room however. We were mainly exploring the island, or lounging by the beautiful infinity pool.

The very friendly staff was fantastic. There was always someone nearby waiting to give assistance with just about anything you might need. A very generous, delicious breakfast was delivered promptly to our terrace each morning at the exact second we requested it. You truly live like you are a celebrity when you stay here.

The grounds were exquisite. Everything is fresh, clean, and well-maintained. The hotel has one of the best positions on the island as far as a view is concerned. As well, it is well positioned in the town of Oia. Away from all street noise, a walk to the top of the property brings you to a pedestrian walkway, where you can take a magical walk to watch the indescribable sunsets, shop, and have a romantic dinner.

The Katikies is Heaven on Earth. Beware however - depending on the location of your room - there may be a lot of steps. There were exactly 100 steps to our room, and another 20 or so to the infinity pool, and maybe 60 more to th lowest point of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We just returned from four nights at Katikies. The hotel surpassed our expectations in every way -- from the wonderful rooms, to the room service, and to the beautiful infinity pool. The staff was excellent and available to meet our needs in every way without being intrusive. With a location at the start of the pedestrian walkway in Oia, it was also a great location to explore the town. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

In the short time we spent at the Katikies Hotel we had the most wonderful experience of Greece.
We were treated like Kings and Queens.Spectacular location ( the view from the infinity pool was out of this world) and the food was absolutely delicious -especially in the gourmet restaurant.
A little bit expensive but it was still worth the money.The staff looked like angles , they fulfilled our every wish with a smile. We were particularly spoilt by Alexander, whose kindness made us feel completely at home. He is the perfect person for such a wonderful hotel.
Salinas was also awesome.
We would undoubtedly recommend this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We decided to stay at Katikies for a few days having stayed at the excellent Perivolas on previous visits. Katikies offers a different experience and I would recommend it for somebody looking for a bit more action.

Advantages of Katikies over Perivolas are:
1) marginally better location as 5 minutes closer to centre of Oia,
2) multiple pools to choose from,
3) modern bathroom,
4) hipper pool scene.

Disadvantages of Katikies versus Perivolas are:
1) Perviolas has a much better pool that affords swimming,
2) Perivolas is quieter and one doesn't have to get up at 9am to grab a sub bed close to the pool which is sometimes necessary at Katikies,
3) Perivolas rooms have a lot more character and are significantly larger; our cave like superior suite at Perivolas was twice the size of the Honeymoon suite I stayed in at Katikies
4) Perivolas has a gym unlike Katikies

Food and service was excellent at both resorts.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

Quick version: Gorgeous view but not worth the $1300/night price tag (note the euro/US dollar exchange rate was particularly bad when we arrived so we got screwed--we though it'd be $1000/night but it ended up being a lot more). Room nice if you like that "rustic" feel, but it just seemed shabby to me.

The Room:
My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights of our honeymoon. We reserved the honeymoon suite but when we arrived we were told all the honeymoon suites were already taken so they upgraded us to the Katikes suite. I thought it was a bit odd to just give away the room we reserved and assume that we would want the Katikes suite but since the Katikes suite is allegedly nicer we didn't say anything. I have to say I was really really disappointed when we walked into the Katikes suite. The photos of the honeymoon suite boasted a huge outdoor area with your own sunchairs and hot tub. Although the Katikes suite may have been nicer on the inside the outdoor part is tiny and very narrow--you have to step over the sunchairs to get to the hottub--there is no room to walk around--you'd have to step off the cliff. The room itself consist of a living room area and then a spiral staircase into a loft area where you sleep. My 6'3" husband had to really watch his head every night and even I, at 5'4" bumped my head three times in the 2 nights we were there. This was annoying, a real bedroom on your honeymoon would have been nice. They also really need to rethink the bedding/sheet decor--a bit ugly.

Room Service: There are no do not disturb signs. Instead they give you a purple tassle which allegedly alerts staff to knock. Maybe no one told them because twice room service just burst in without knocking. Once, catching my husband and I making out--not a big deal but it just seems obvious that hotel staff should know to knock--especially when they know we are on our honeymoon. Having said that, the food was delicious and it was great to eat on that terrace looking out at the caldera.

The view: gorgeous but you can see the same thing just walking around Santorini so it wasn't worth the hefty price tag. If the view came with a really nice room then yeah it's worth it but that's not the case here--again, this all depends on taste--I don't like "rustic"

The pool: I was really really glad we had a suite with our own dipping pool (by the way it's supposed to be a jacuzzi but the water is ice cold 24/7 so don't think you'll be taking warm jacuzzi baths outside under the stars) because the communal pool is small and only has about 18 chairs around it. This would be fine if people weren't so obnoxious about laying their towels down for the day and leaving and the staff not doing anything about this. In the two days we were there, we never got a chair. We went to the pool to swim and then back to our room. If you're cool with having to stake out your pool chair at 9 a.m. and then guarding it all day then this is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

After looking at about 1000 reviews on tripadvisor, my wife and I decided to stay at the Katikes for the Santorini leg of our Greek honeymoon. What a great choice it was! From the first moment we arrived, the manager Vassiliki came out to greet us and gave us some nice champagne. We were very relaxed after the drive over when the driver came into the airport to help us with our bags after the long trip to Greece.

We were shown our room, given a tour and settled into our room. The room itself was very nice, it was a two floor suite and had wine and fruit waiting in the room when we arrived. The property itself is beautiful and in a nice part of Oia just at the beginning of the promenade with all the shops and restaurants. Yes...there are steps...but you are in Santorini, every hotel has steps. The pool is beautiful and the service at the pool is amazing to say the least. They serve lunch poolside which is very nice and the food was great. In the afternoon they bring by frozen towels and watermelon for the guests at the pool. What else could you want?

Breakfast was brought to our room every morning. Frankly, it was amazing! The greek yogurt was awesome as were the different "pies- spinach, cheese, etc." brought every morning. The view of the caldera from our room was amazing, but really every inch of the hotel has a great view of the caldera.

As as aside, like an idiot I left my hanging bag on the plane, Vasi the manager spent the whole week trying to get it back and succeeded. She TRULY went out of her way to help me out of the problem, and help with everything else during our stay as well. Alex was very nice to deal with and had some great restaurant suggestions.

While you are there, have lunch at Thalami, the food is awesome and the view is good too. Dinner at Sunset Taverna (get the spaghetti with lobster, its amazing) and Ambrosia were great. Also restaurant 218 or 208 is great as well, so was 1800.

* I noticed some of the reviews of people who had problems with their reservations. Please do not be deterred by this. We met some people who experienced these problems, it was a glitch apparently and they all seemed to be compensated very well for their troubles. Had

Overall, the Katikes was amazing. The rooms were great, property great and the staff was even better. I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!