“Heaven wrapped up in a hotel!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Katikies Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Oia 84702, Greece   |
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Oia
San Francisco, Ca.
“Heaven wrapped up in a hotel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

If you stay in Santorini it must be at this hotel!!! It's that good!!! Don't even shop around...just pay what their asking, relax and know you'll be treated like a god or goddess which ever is appropriate. We started out in Athens, the on to Mykonos, Santorini and finally Crete. We saw Katikies featured in a show on the travel channel and decided we wanted to stay there. The other hotels on the trip where all very nice but not quite on the same level. We decided to splurge on one leg of the trip and we totally picked the right one!!! Every staff memeber we encountered was extremely polite and helpful. The food was amazing and the location is perfect (just on the edge of the pedestrian way so you don't have to haul your luggage too far from the taxi). I won't even try to describe the view because words do not do it justice. Lets just say your perched on the edge of the Caldera with your own private terrace, how much better could it get? I loved the breakfast delivery, that must have been my favorite part of the whole thing actually. You call the night before, tell them what ever you want, doesn't even have to be on the menu, just what ever you want, tell them what time you want it served and when you walk out your door in the morning it's waiting for you on the terrace. (Ask for extra coffee. the pots are kind of small and I felt bad making the waiter travel down all those stairs a second time just because I'm a javaholic.) If you want to sunbath but not be in the pool area grab the double loungers on the mid deck by the chilled plunge pool early as they go fast, perfect spot for a couple. My best advice; arrainge a private car to pick you up if your coming to the island by jet boat. The port is about 30 minutes from Oia and a taxi driver will cram other passangers in the car with you but will still charge you the same price. But no matter what you do stay at this hotel!!!!! I would go back in a heartbeat!!! =] The photos on this website do not even show the beauty of this hotel. It is truly breath taking!!!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Lots of stairs...I even live in a 3 story walk up and it was a lot of stairs for me.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

We stayed at Katikies Sept 22 - 26 while in Santorini. It was absolutely fantastic and amazing. If you make it to the Greek Islands, stay here. It's worth the money for the view alone. Staff, food, pool - all amazing. We had a wonderful time. Be sure to spend plenty of time at the pool , let yourself be pampered, eat at the restaurants, and relax. Don't miss this place if you are in Santorini. Very romantic and special.

• Liked — The view, staff, pool
  • Disliked — Very expensive food/drinks
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

My fiancee and I stayed at Katikies for two nights and it was amazing. Although expensive but worth every penny. The service, the food, the staff, the views, pool area - was just fantastic. The con was the availability of seats in the pool area....very scarce. If you're an early bird then you wouldnt have a problem, just place a book on your seat to mark your territory. We stayed in room 1 with our own veranda and it was beautiful. If you are visiting Santorini I would highly recommend Katikies...save up and splurge its so worth it.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

After reviewing a number of options on Santorini, I ended up selecting Katakies, and wasn't disappointed! The hotel and facilities were second to none and we had no issues getting a spot by any of the pools during our stay (Late July 2007) as per some of the previous comments.

We ended up staying in one of the Superior suite/ sea rooms which was perfect. Room was very well appointed given the location i.e. you are not going to get an International City "Slick" feel however this is far from what you want here..

Finally, the food....Fantastic! The fine dining was an exceptional experience as was the Greek set menu followed closely by the breakfasts/Lunches on the terrace!

In short, hated to leave!

• Liked — Service, views and location
  • Disliked — Concierge/reception was a little disappointing...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

What can be said about Katikies that hasn't already been said? Though I'd read the great reviews and noted that Katikies had just been selected as one of the top hotels of the world in Travel & Leisure's current issue, I remained dubious that any hotel would be worth such a hefty cost. The rooms are very expensive. But as soon as my partner and I arrived at Katikies, I got it - the property is amazing - on the tip of the walking path through Oia so that the town is accessible, and it is indeed a maze of stairs and pools and secret areas. The main pool is just unreal - you just hang onto the rim and look down the cliff or out to the sea or towards Oia, and you're just blown away by the beauty of it all. The hotel is very quiet and peaceful and guests are encouraged to help maintain this serenity. Service is through the roof amazing, and if we had any negative feelings about Katikies, it was the sense after a few days that we were so spoiled and pampered that it started feeling a bit gluttonous. Still we were impressed that the incidentals - water and frappes (a delicious Greek form of iced coffee) and lunch by the pool - remained very reasonable, and all of the food was delicious. We did the wine tasting, which was great, and the greek dinner by the pool, also great. Mandatory meals in town include dinner at Ambrosia, a light lunch at the Red Bicycle, and an afternoon feast at the Sunset Tavern (get the lobster spaghetti) after a swim at Amoudi Bay, which is down the cliff from the tip of Oia. When we couldn't get a taxi from the Sunset back up to town, Katikies sent a car. Guests were a mix of nationalities and ages, though there were indeed lots of young couples. On our last day we sat at the pool next to two couples from New York comparing real estate and money and complaining about the food in Santorini ("Greek food is better in New York") and that unfortunately broke the spell we were under. One of our other complaints is that the outside of the hotel is so stunning we barely spent any time in our room, which was quite beautiful. Our superior suite had a loft bedroom and even a side sitting area, and was decorated simply but elegantly and was extremely pleasant and well maintained. Katikies is an experience of true luxury and dream-like serenity. If you're going to spend this kind of money at a hotel, make it a place like Katikies.

Stayed July 2007
Lisboa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

João From Portugal
I never saw such a beautiful hotel. This hotel is very tipical, very white, very nice and the service is absolutly frendly. i was in my honneymoon and i think it was perfect, because its a very romantic hotel.

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

I loved this hotel. In fact, it's where I first officially learned to love luxury hotels, after my wife and I discovered it walking around Santorini. For my entire life until this place, I was always the guy looking for the cheapest place that i could stand on any giving night. This changed all that. It was by far the nicest place we stayed in all of Greece.

We spent a week in a sr. suite with a semi private pool. I highly recommend that option.

I'll skip some of the great stuff that others have said and respond to a few of the negatives since there are lots of reviews giving a great description of this lux hotel. The good stuff is all true.

"The staff are always watching me": someone thought that the staff was always watching them. I call this outstanding service. At the slightest indication that I needed something, they were on top of it. I liked that. A simple glance at my empty glass means "Christina, I'd like another glass of wine." -- great!

"It costs a lot" - ya. That's right, which is why TripAdvisor let's you sort by deals, etc., It's a great place AND it does cost an awful lot. If this is not OK, use the value functions in TA and find a better value. This is 5star service and it costs. You are probably paying a fair amount for that last 10-20% of quality...that's true. But if you want the best place and you can afford it, here you go.

"The pools are small" -- true, but they are not THAT small. Not a great place to pull up the bago and drop the 10 kids in the pool. The concept at a beautiful place like this is to sit by the pool, having a drink and reading a book. Every now and then, take a quick dip to cool off (pool) or warm up (spa), then repeat. If you want a swim up bar and the waterslide, this is NOT your place (hey I like those things...just saying, this is not it).

i don't think that kids would like this place. Contrarily, if you don't want to be around kids, this is a great place.

• Liked — Utter quality and beauty
  • Disliked — Pool was a little cold
  • Stayed June 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!