“Stunning!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marizan Caves & Villas

You added Marizan Caves & Villas to your Saves list
Marizan Caves & Villas
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Oia Santorini | Garbinoi Miloi, Oia, Greece (Formerly Marizan Studios & Villas)   |
Ranked #1 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Oia
london
“Stunning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I recently stayed in Marizan with my boyfriend. We had booked the private cave house and on arrival were greeted by Giannis (the owner) who told us that we had been upgraded to Villa Alexandros. This is a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom villa with a huge terrace and private jacuzzi with fantastic sea views!

My boyfriend had booked the stay for my birthday so I hadn't read anything about Marizan before I arrived (I normally analyse Tripadvisor in great detail!) and it was such a fantastic surprise. Oia is a stunning place and Marizan has to be one of the very best locations in the village. The sunset views are spectacular and dozens of people line the streets above you to watch the sunset…you feel very special having a private area to watch the sun go down and sip some champagne!

The villa was really well equipped, it had a good kitchen which was filled with everything you need, from the basic pots and pans to an ice bucket and stand and great coffee machine. Breakfast was also supplied every day for you to enjoy on the balcony each morning - fresh bread, meat, cheese, yoghurt, orange juice, cereal…everything you need.

Giannis was very friendly and welcoming and brings you some local wine on the first night to enjoy the sunset with. He is also full of information and advice about things to do…we loved Oia and Marizan too much to leave though so we didn't mange to do any of our planned trips! The one activity I would definitely recommend is a walk down to Ammoudi bay for some lunch at one of the traditional restaurants, it's worth the 300 steps down and back up!

It is really great having the use of the pool next door, the drinks may be slightly overpriced but you ...it is also a nice spot for an evening cocktail.

Overall, an absolutely beautiful place - I would definitely recommend Marizan and we will certainly be back!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

“No problems, Gianni – Eeeazy Eeeazy Eeeazy!!!”

My husband and I travel extensively, and coming from so far away from the rest of the world (in flight time), we make the most of it…normally staying away for 5 to 6 weeks at a time. This trip to Santorini was a short 3 weeks but to be spent entirely in one place to enable us to just ‘chill out’ and re-energise. Research and advice from friends told us that Oia was the place to stay. Trip Advisor reviews pointed to Marizan Caves & Villas as the best place to be. This was SOOOO right. Our 21 night stay in Cavehouse No. 3 could not have been better. Whilst private, our deck seemed to become the ‘hub’ in the early evenings and throughout the sunsets for drinks and chat with the many wonderful people we met during our stay. The cave was immaculately clean, cool, large and simply but practically decorated and had a real charm to it. It was home! We loved it! The views from our deck were spectacular and Marizan’s location to the village centre (5 minutes walk); the Lioyerma Pool Bar and Café (a few steps away); and the bus stop was just perfect. The sunsets can be viewed from just about anywhere on the Western side of the island but there is a feeling of privilege living in Marizan as it is the very last accommodation house on the North Western tip of Oia and you can stand there gazing out with nothing between you and the sun setting (apart from the Aegean, of course). Over and over again we congratulated ourselves on picking the right place to stay – and it was great value for money! There is absolutely nothing negative to say about beautiful Marizan...not bad for a 3 week stay.

Santorni is an awe-inspiring island with so much to see and do. This little piece of Paradise far exceeded our expectations and the wines (and let’s face it…there are something like 7 wineries on the island) are delicious – and that’s some compliment coming from an Aussie!

Despite the fact that we travel a lot and have stayed in so many glamour spots in 5 and 6 star hotels, this is the first time I have felt compelled to post a review. The reason for this is the warm hospitality and friendship extended to us by Gianni, our Host, Maria, his lovely wife, and Helen, Basmer and Unilda, the excellent staff at Marizan. These wonderful people go way out of their way to make sure you are happy and all is well with your world! I have never known anyone to smile as much as Basmer – even when he is humping 80 kilos of luggage on his back. Luvya, Bas!

Gianni just made this holiday the best for us. He is generous, ‘has big humour’ and he is definitely passionate about his beautiful Marizan Caves & Villas and the Island in general. He took us to places we would never have seen without him and made sure we experienced the very best of what was happening whilst we were there. On the evening of the Volcano Festival, Gianni took us to a friend’s honeymoon resort in Imerovigli where we enjoyed drinks and snacks and the very best view of one of the most spectacular fire works displays we have ever seen. The fireworks were set up on the volcanic island itself and were choreographed to replicate a volcanic eruption – WOW!!!! This was truly a highlight! Gave the Sydney Olympics display a run for its money.

We were invited to spend one night in the newest Villa, Alexandros. It is truly beautiful and we didn’t think it was possible, but the views were actually better than from our cavehouse.

We don’t normally backtrack on holidays but we would love to see Gianni and Maria again and would return to Santorini for this reason.

Oh, and by the way, save yourself the time and trouble of checking out the best places to go and the cheapest rates on cars etc., just ask Gianni, and he will arrange it all for you with no fuss, no hitches and some spare change in your pocket.

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in the 3 bedroom villa: the inside was gorgeous, the patio was perfect, and the view was amazing. Giannis, the owner, lives a few steps away and is beyond friendly and accommodating: he gave us tons of info about what to do during our stay, drove us to dinner and offered to pick us up, dropped by to chat and answer our questions, and drove me to the nearby rock outcrop and beach, showing me the sights and telling me about the area. I can't say enough good about him, when I return to Santorini next time I will stay at Marizan the entire time. Check my photos below, (the last one is Giannis), to get an idea for how fantastic Marizan is...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Schweinfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

My wife and I have spent 7nights in Marizan Villa on Stanrini. Our staying is amazing. The Marizan really offers us unforgettable experience. It is totally worth its price.

The location of Marizan is wonderful, at the south end of Santorini, literally there is nothing to block the view of beautiful sunset. Do not need to fight for a better spot with others. There is also a hot tube on the top, we even tried one day to enjoy the sunset in hot tube with one wine and some snacks.

The facilities of Marizan are also good. We have a short talk with Giannis the owner and found out that almost all rooms, furniture and decorations are found, arranged and decorated by him. Even the “Marizan” sign which is hanged on the entrance of the hotel is also a special story. It is clear that Giannis is really passionate for his hotel. The shared pool on the roof with one Cafe is also good, drink price is also reasonable and accompanied with one free snack. Romantic cave is also well equipped with one twin bed, living room, small kitchen and bath room. Basic cooking tools are also ready to use in the kitchen.

Breakfast is far more enough for 2 person. Literally, my wife and I can not finish all the fresh baked bread one single day. Also after two or 3 days, Giannis offers croissants or fresh fruits for breakfast for a change.

The owner Giannis and his wife Marian are really the high light of our staying in Marizan. They intend to make their visitors satisfied. When we arrive, Giannis welcome us at the gate and gave us a short brief of Santorini. Also there were one welcome drinks for us, but we were really tired and wanted to take a shower when we arrived, so we decided to take that later. Giannis really took care of his customer. My wife got sun burnt there, although Giannis reminded us the sun is very strong in Santorini and she also took SPF 50 sun cream. We turned to Giannis for help.Thanks for his wife’s special recipe, to rub Greek Yoghurt over her body. Her pain released a lot. Later at that evening, Giannis also brought us a body spray to treat sun burn. The day after, his wife told us, Gianns called a doctor friend to make sure if he did not need to take my wife to clinic and what is the best medicine for her. We really appreciated his help. Also before we left, we had a dinner together with Giannis. From this talk, we knew he was a submarine captain. And what I admire is his positive attitude toward life; he almost built this magnificent Villa alone and planed to renew some new cave houses later. People who live here should take a look at the untouched cave house he wanted to rebuild, and then we will understand how hart it is to start this business.

Another recommendation from us is to try the olives which are marinated by Giannis himself. It is so excellent that is the best I have ever tasted, not like the one we tried in ordinary restaurants; it is elegant, not salty or bitter, but a mouthful of fruit taste.

We have really a nice and relaxed holiday there. Thanks Giannis, we definitely will visit you again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lockport, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My husband and I spent part of our 25th wedding anniv trip to Greece by ending our stay spending 6 nights at Marizan. We stayed in the romantic cave and loved it!! First, I looked at many others in Oia and found many positive reviews about Marizan and also liked the price of the caves. I also wanted to stay in a "cave", have great views with privacy! I am not into staying at big hotels that are impersonal--part of the experience of visiting a country is getting to know the people--and we loved Gianni!! But first, back to the room, our patio was huge, the view was breathtaking, the cave was nicely decorated--not plush but deftionally "Greek, the bed was comfortable, large, the kitchen are was small but perfect. The bathroom was unique--again something I was looking for!! The breakfast included ham, cheese, yogurt, milk, juice, coffee, honey, jellies, butter and fresh bread was brought to our balcony each morning. We also got some peaches a few days. It may be boring but since I am not a big breakfast person it was fine--we also liked to have it around--we often snacked on the ham and cheese later in the day!! Our room was cleaned daily and we felt it was very clean. The air worked great and it was very quiet and private. The only time we felt on display was at sunset and many linned the street above to watch the sunset and our cave was lower so everyone could see us. There was no pool there but one within a block or less of our room, the hotel did have a hot tub.
This is a small boutique type hotel--if you are looking for a restaurant, room service, fitness center, fancy spa--go to a Holiday Inn.
We were very impressed with Gianni--just the kind of experience we were looking for. He arranged for transportation from the airport and met us at the entrance. He took us to our cave, showed us around, spend time answering our questions and then personally walked us to a great restaurant--Roka!! A few days later he also took us in his private car on a tour of the island--we were gone about 3-4 hours!!! Now thats service!! He also checked in on us daily but also gave us our privacy. Overall a great experience and a great guy--I will be back as soon as I can!!

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Before booking a place to stay in Santorini with my husband, 17 year old son and 12 year old daughter I took weeks to review the comments on trip advisor and finally decided to stay at Marizan Villas. It was the best place I have ever stayed and it couldn't have worked out better for us. We stayed in Villa Alexandros which is a three bedroom 2 1/2 bath villa which had more room then we had anticipated. It has a private stairway and gate to get to the villa and an outdoor patio and deck. It is directly below one of the windmills and everywhere you looked was a postcard view. It was only completed last year so inside is new with two good sized bathrooms with marble and tile and a complete kitchen. There is a table off the kitchen overlooking the deck and a large dining room/living room area with a couch built along the wall. The villa could easily sleep 6-8. The living room has a large screen TV. The master bedroom has a large king size bed w/ a TV and the second bedroom has a full bed. There is also a small fold up bed in that room and a couch that also can sleep one more in the living. Downstairs is another bedroom with a queen bed and a TV and off that room is an indoor Jacuzzi with a large half round window overlooking the water and a 1/2 bath.

The deck outside has 4 lounge chairs which has an incredible view of the sunset and another granite top large table with benches which can sit 8-10. The rooms were very bright except the bedrooms which are cave style rooms but they have plenty of built in lighting which we thought was beautiful. My kids loved the villa and the deck so much we spent much more time there then we expected. The only problem was we slept so well we were getting up between 12-1pm. That worked out fine because we would have breakfast and then do a day trip somewhere and return around 6 pm. Also the mid day sun can be very hot so getting out later was better for us. When we returned each day we would hang out in the pool which is at the top of the villas. The pool is not part of Marizan but the guests can use it although sometimes the waiters would say you needed to buy a drink to use it. But if you ordered a soda or bottle of water no one seemed to bother you. Santorini is hot in August and I can’t imagine staying at a place without a pool which we used everyday. At night we would go out for dinner between 8:30-10 pm which is what most people do anyway in Greece.

Our villa had a full kitchen with a stove, oven, refrigerator, coffee maker, expresso maker and pot that heated for hot water. Each day ham, cheese, yogurt, milk, orange juice, butter and jelly would be placed in the refrigerator. Cereal, tea coffee and expresso were always in the kitchen. Fresh bread would be brought each day so we would heat the ham and cheese on the bread or have cereal. One day I bought eggs at the mini market which is not far form the top pf the stairs and made omelets. The breakfast worked out great for us because we were getting up so late we could eat breakfast whenever we wanted and didn't have to worry about getting up early.

As to the view it was the best on the island. Each night starting almost two hours before sunset people would start to gather on the sidewalk above our villa and bring snacks and drinks to watch the sunset. We would sit outside on our own private patio on our lounge chairs or at the table and have the best view.

And then there is the best thing about Marizan Villas, the owners Giannis and Maria. For starters when we arrived at Santorini, Olympic Airlines lost about 30-40 pieces of luggage. After waiting for almost 1/2 hour they finally told everyone they needed to go next door and give them our hotels and they would deliver the luggage. We had 4 bags and only my son’s was missing but many lost all their bags. Giannis had arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the airport so he called and wanted to know why we hadn't arrived. When the driver told him about the bags and that there was a long line to give the hotel information he told the driver to bring me and my daughter with the bags and he would send someone else to get my son and husband at no charge after they registered the information with Olympic. When we got to the hotel Giannis was outside to meet us and immediately brought us to the villa and came with a bottle of wine and told me to relax and not to worry and he would take care of everything which he did. Within 40 minutes my husband and son were at the Villa and Giannis came and explained everything about the villa to us and couldn't have been more helpful. By the next day he had the bag at our door.

I had arranged to rent a car through him and the next day we slept late so he had the car company come back when we woke up and he got them to give us a better price and a lower deductible. The day before we left he arranged for the car to be picked up at the villa and then he drove us to Amoudi Bay and picked us up from a sailing excursion we had booked at no charge.

He was always around the villa and told us to come to him for anything we needed. Whenever her saw us he would ask where we were going and make recommendations for places to visit and restaurants. He recommended Roka restaurant in Oia the first night and it was very reasonable and the best meal we had on the trip.

On the second night Giannis told us he was going to have his guest up to his villa at 8pm for some appetizers and to watch the sunset. When we arrived there was almost 16 people many newlyweds from Austria, Italy, Canada, Great Britain, and Greece. He had 3 musicians there to play Greek music and the night turned into a 4 hour party with so many great Greek dishes that no one wanted to leave. Giannis and Maria were teaching everyone Greek dances ( along with another guest Steve and his family who are Greek Canadians) and I was amazed to see my son and daughter dancing and everyone talking and having such a great time. The night was magical.

As to Santorini itself the island is beautiful. I would recommend renting a car to see the island. We rented a car for 4 days and drove to Perissa Beach, Fira and Santo Winery. Be warned the streets are small and steep and make sure you have someone who is confortable driving in tight situations with buses and trucks passing within inches of your car. At Perissa Beach they have water sports so it was perfect for the kids. At Santo we didn’t do the wine tour but you can purchase a tray of 15 different wines to taste and sit on a deck over looking the volcano. We also enjoyed the boat trip to the hot springs and volcano and watching the sunset from the boat. In Fira we had lunch and took the tram up and down the mountain.

Staying in Oia worked out great for us. The town is definitely quieter then Fira and starts right at the top of the villas. The center of town is a 10 minute walk. Santorini is a beautiful island and Marizan is the best place to stay. Giannis and Maria thank you for such a special time in Santorini. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stayed at Marizan as part of our honeymoon, which included just under 3 weeks in beautiful Greece. Santorini is absolutely fantastic and Oia is definitely the place to stay on the island!

There are a number of places you can stay in Oia and I'm sure each has it's own uniqueness. For us, we picked Marizan because it was reasonably priced for Oia, it seemed to have a nice feel about it and of course, it looked like it had amazing views!

Well.....we picked right!! Marizan is a great place to stay, it does have a nice feel about it and yes, the views are amazing (the photos don't lie!!). The other appealing thing about Marizan is that it isn't in the main area of Oia which means you don't have huge amounts of people walking past and it is also really quiet and relaxing.

We stayed in the cave which is on the top level of Marizan and while we didn't exactly have our own private balcony (as people needed to walk past our room to get to their rooms) it was still fantastic! The room was also really nice and spacious and our breakfast was good for what we wanted during our stay.

As the other reviews say, the sunset is AMAZING and we were so lucky to not have to tussle with the crowds. Most nights we ended up having a late siesta and then we would pop upstairs just in time for the sunset, followed by a nice dinner somewhere in Oia!

All in all, our experience at Marizan was lovely and personal, and Oia and Santorini are really beautiful.

A few tips:

Be sure to get Marizan to book you a transfer from the ferry terminal. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get to Marizan once you get off the ferry and it is so much easier to have it all organised. They can book it for you on your way back too - you just need to tell Yannis the day before.

Also, don't expect Marizan to have its own pool. Guests have access to a pool right near Marizan but other people use it too. We didn't end up using it.

Also, we went on a boat trip for the day to the volcano and another nearby island. To us it was a big tourist trap but it was also good in some ways. If we had our time again we would have taken sneakers on the trip as it was a big hike up that volcano, particularly with sandals on!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Marizan Caves & Villas? Share your experiences!